About Tax Form Instructions for Indian students

Amol Mejari

May 8, 2017, 10:23:02 AM5/8/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi
I am student participant from India. I have doubts about tax form. I checked the official gsoc site in help section for the same, but couldn't understand. Help will be appreciated -
  1. Do I need to submit tax form?
  2. If yes, which tax form, where can I get it and where to submit it?

Stephanie Taylor

May 9, 2017, 2:34:28 PM5/9/17
to Google Summer of Code
Hello,

I am student participant from India. I have doubts about tax form. I checked the official gsoc site in help section for the same, but couldn't understand. Help will be appreciated -
  1. Do I need to submit tax form?
  2. If yes, which tax form, where can I get it and where to submit it?
Tax forms completed through Payoneer are required for all US citizens or green card holders, those in the US on visas, and those doing any GSoC work in the US for any point in the program.

If the above does not apply to you then you do not need to complete a W9 or W8BEN through Payoneer.

You are responsible for reporting your own information to tax authorities in your own country.

Gianluca Nitti

May 11, 2017, 4:13:06 PM5/11/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I'm from Italy and I have the same doubts, thank you for the response.

I'm sorry if this question is redundant, but it's just to be safe. I see that the rules page, at paragraph 7.2 - b, says
Tax-related documentation must be submitted by May 30, 2017 for Students and August 1, 2017 for Organizations. Students or Organizations submitting tax-related documentations after this date may be disqualified from receiving stipends. Google is not required to issue any payments if tax-related documentation is submitted after this date.
and then
Students must submit tax-related documentation during their registration with Payoneer.
without mentioning that these requirements only apply to US students.

So just to be clear, as an Italian student and citizen doing the project here in my country, I don't need to submit anything to Payoneer before May 30 but only have to report the income (if I receive it after the evaluations) to local tax authorities, right?
I was about to contact Payoneer support because I completed the registration some days ago but I wasn't asked for a tax form, but then found this thread.

Thank you for the help.

Stephanie Taylor

May 11, 2017, 4:23:47 PM5/11/17
to Google Summer of Code
Hello Gianluca,

[...]

Correct.

I was about to contact Payoneer support because I completed the registration some days ago but I wasn't asked for a tax form, but then found this thread.

Thank you for the help.

Best,
Stephanie

Il giorno martedì 9 maggio 2017 20:34:28 UTC+2, Stephanie ha scritto:
Hello,

I am student participant from India. I have doubts about tax form. I checked the official gsoc site in help section for the same, but couldn't understand. Help will be appreciated -
  1. Do I need to submit tax form?
  2. If yes, which tax form, where can I get it and where to submit it?
Tax forms completed through Payoneer are required for all US citizens or green card holders, those in the US on visas, and those doing any GSoC work in the US for any point in the program.

If the above does not apply to you then you do not need to complete a W9 or W8BEN through Payoneer.

You are responsible for reporting your own information to tax authorities in your own country.

Gianluca Nitti

May 13, 2017, 11:39:24 AM5/13/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Okay, thank you very much for the clarification.

Regards,
Gianluca
Hello Gianluca,
To post to this group, send email to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com.