About Google internship and GSoC

Zhongze Liu

Apr 13, 2018, 12:44:57 PM4/13/18
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

I'm currently applying for both Google (the company) internship and GSoC (this very program) and it's currently still not clear whether I would be selected by any of the two.
Can I continue applying for GSoC, since, officially, I'm currently still not a google employee?
And if I'm lucky enough to get selected by both, what should I do?

Cheers,

Zhongze Liu

Google Summer of Code Support

Apr 13, 2018, 1:22:56 PM4/13/18
to Google Summer of Code
Hello Zhongze,

If you were to be chosen for GSoC and a Google internship you would have to choose which you will accept as soon as possible. We have usually 1 student a year who has this situation so it is pretty rare.

Best,
Stephanie

Zhongze Liu

Apr 22, 2018, 11:12:22 PM4/22/18
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for answering my question.
I've already successfully participated in GSoC 2017, so I think it would be better if I leave the valuable slot to others and take my own risk of being denied by both. I've talked to my potential GSoC mentor about my current situation, and I have asked them to assign the slot to other excellent participants. I like the project very much, and luckily, they told me that they have their own project similar to GSoC, so I might still be able to continue working on it in the future through their own project. Cheers!
About the Google internship, I'm currently at the host matching stage. Hope I can safely pass the host matching :)

Cheers,
Zhongze Liu