Working on a project out of GSoC

Mayank Gupta

Apr 23, 2016, 1:25:50 PM4/23/16
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I didn't get selected for GSoC 2016. Is there a way that I can still work on that project out of GSOC Program? Since, the project itself isn't selected for GSoC. Also if I can't complete the project till next year (since it won't be that much of priority as it would have been under GSoC program), then can I continue my work under GSoC if i get selected in GSoC 2017?

Nicolas Sebrecht

Apr 23, 2016, 1:49:34 PM4/23/16
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Sebrecht
On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 05:46:39AM -0700, Mayank Gupta wrote:

> I didn't get selected for GSoC 2016. Is there a way that I can still work
> on that project out of GSOC Program? Since, the project itself isn't
> selected for GSoC.

Pretty sure! Tallk about that to the mentors and the maintainer of the
project. I bet you'll be welcome.

> Also if I can't complete the project till next year
> (since it won't be that much of priority as it would have been under GSoC
> program), then can I continue my work under GSoC if i get selected in GSoC
> 2017?

No one can tell. Google might not accept the org again. The mentors
might not want to apply next year. The project might not fit well again
next year. And there's a lot of other reasons why this might not happen.

However, being involved in open source today will certainly help you
to be more successful next year whatever it's for the same project or
not. For sure!

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Pranit Bauva

Apr 23, 2016, 1:49:38 PM4/23/16
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Continue contributing to the organization by doing bug fixes,
implementing simple features, writing documentation and tests. You can
definitely continue the project you proposed. Getting selected for
GSoC **shouldn't** be the **only** aim you are contributing to open
source. Most open source organizations **don't** rely on GSoC for
their functioning. If they find that "your" project is necessary for
their software to move forward, they **won't** wait. So I would just
advice that don't keep hopes from the particular project instead keep
hopes from the organization and stay in touch with them.

Regards,
Pranit Bauva