travel to usa within the gsoc duration 2015

Biren Thakkar

May 4, 2015, 5:27:03 PM5/4/15
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
if i m a gsoc student and i found another chance to travel to USA with exchange visiter J1 visa for 50 days during gsoc period and require to work on gsoc from there, what shoud i do for tax forms ? should i get CPT ? am i eligible for CPT if stay for only 50 days as student exchange visiter visa in USA ?

Carol Smith

May 4, 2015, 5:29:40 PM5/4/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Biren Thakkar <birenth...@gmail.com> wrote:
if i m a gsoc student and i found another chance to travel to USA with exchange visiter J1 visa for 50 days during gsoc period and require to work on gsoc from there, what shoud i do for tax forms ? should i get CPT ? am i eligible for CPT if stay for only 50 days as student exchange visiter visa in USA ?

These are all great questions to ask a tax, visa, or student advisor. Unfortunately no one on this list, including me, is qualified to advise you on these matters. I'd recommend you enlist professional help.

Cheers,
Carol

aditya.ve...@itbhu.ac.in

May 11, 2015, 11:53:06 AM5/11/15

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 2:57:03 AM UTC+5:30, Biren Thakkar wrote:
if i m a gsoc student and i found another chance to travel to USA with exchange visiter J1 visa for 50 days during gsoc period and require to work on gsoc from there, what shoud i do for tax forms ? should i get CPT ? am i eligible for CPT if stay for only 50 days as student exchange visiter visa in USA ?

Hi Biren
Same problem here. Tell me if something turns up.

Anuj Rao

Mar 9, 2016, 7:19:24 PM3/9/16
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Guys, was there update on this last year? I needed this information. Thanks.

Christopher Sean Morrison

Mar 9, 2016, 8:09:33 PM3/9/16
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

It's a bad idea to seek tax advice online, especially concerning a complicated temporary status that might permanently jeopardize your ability to return to the US.  I suggest contacting a professional tax adviser or directly calling the IRS -- their number is 1-800-829-1040 (hah), M-F 7am-10pm EST.  It's also quite common for your local bank to have a tax adviser on staff.

Cheers!
Sean