Reg: US Tax Forms

Ram G Athreya

Jun 4, 2017, 9:10:03 PM6/4/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi

I am an Indian student enrolled in a US university. But I have moved back to India during the GSoC period (between May 30 to Aug 21). Do I still need to provide Tax information? From what I understand from the Official Mail (relevant section attached below) I do not fall under any of the criteria required for submitting the tax form since I have moved back to India for the entire period of GSoC and would be working as an Indian and all funds will be transferred to my Indian bank account. Please note although I have a US visa I am no longer in the US.

Tax Forms

If you are a US citizen, US green card holder, US resident, in the US on a visa, or physically present in the US during the GSoC coding period, you must submit a United States tax form to receive your stipend.

Should I still submit a tax form?

Thanks
Ram G Athreya

gsoc-s...@google.com

Jun 5, 2017, 4:52:20 PM6/5/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss, gsoc-support
Hi Ram-

Unfortunately, we cannot provide tax advice. But as noted you only need to fill out a tax form if: you are a US citizen, US green card holder, US resident, in the US on a visa, or physically present in the US during the GSoC coding period, you must submit a United States tax form to receive your stipend.

It doesn't sound like you qualify for any of the above.

In the future, please send tax and any personal questions to the gsoc-s...@google.com list instead of the discuss list.

Thank you-
Mary