Test URL?

Kristian Erik Hermansen

Oct 16, 2008, 5:24:54 AM10/16/08
to Google Safe Browsing API
Hi,

I downloaded an entire malware domain list and fed each entry to the
safebrowsing-python implementation. I was not able to trigger any
hits in the database. Could someone please post an exact malware URL
that I could test against the database? Thanks so much!

Thejaswi Puthraya

Oct 16, 2008, 12:06:36 PM10/16/08
to Google Safe Browsing API
On Oct 16, 2:24 pm, Kristian Erik Hermansen
You might want to check archives of this group for loads of links or
probably stopbadware.org (http://www.stopbadware.org/home/
reportsearch)
--
Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya

Kristian Erik Hermansen

Oct 17, 2008, 12:30:49 PM10/17/08
to Google Safe Browsing API
On Oct 16, 9:06 am, Thejaswi Puthraya <thejaswi.puthr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> You might want to check archives of this group for loads of links or
> probably stopbadware.org (http://www.stopbadware.org/home/
> reportsearch)

I had checked this list and even found your previous posts. None of
the links triggered a hit. You specifically posted a few links to bad
sites, but they didn't work. I checked out the Python code and it
appears that the generation of the 5 split chunks are being created
improperly, which is ultimately affecting the MD5 hashes that are
queried. For instance, I ran PDB and traced execution to show this.
Is the Python code up to date with the latest Google SB API? Or
perhaps I created the database incorrectly? What is interesting to me
is that I was also unable to get another C++ based SB API tool to
work, and the author is currently investigating.
http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/cf/squid-gsbapi.html

Let me know your thoughts. Regards...

Thejaswi Puthraya

Oct 17, 2008, 11:45:31 PM10/17/08
to Google Safe Browsing API
Hi Kristian,

On Oct 17, 9:30 pm, Kristian Erik Hermansen
First up, I was slightly wrong to have asked you to check the
archives. There is no guarantee that a site found in the malware list
would be found in the future. The sites are reviewed periodically. You
can check http://www.stopbadware.org/home/topsites for a set of links.

Regarding whether the code is working fine...it seems to be and you
can check it out in action at http://thejaswi.info/projects/safe_browsing/.
Just checked up against a random list from the topsites link I just
posted in the above paragraph. I am using exactly the same code
available in the svn (I check the svn repo in a cron weekly once and
use that code to do my looking up).

--
Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya

Oliver Fisher

Oct 20, 2008, 11:24:59 AM10/20/08
to Google Safe Browsing API
malware.testing.google.test/testing/malware/ should appear in the
malware list.

O.
Google Anti-Malware Team.

On Oct 17, 11:45 pm, Thejaswi Puthraya <thejaswi.puthr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Kristian,
>
> On Oct 17, 9:30 pm, Kristian Erik Hermansen
>

> <kristian.herman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 16, 9:06 am, Thejaswi Puthraya <thejaswi.puthr...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > You might want to check archives of this group for loads of links or
> > > probably stopbadware.org (http://www.stopbadware.org/home/
> > > reportsearch)
>
> > I had checked this list and even found your previous posts.  None of
> > the links triggered a hit.  You specifically posted a few links to bad
> > sites, but they didn't work.  I checked out the Python code and it
> > appears that the generation of the 5 split chunks are being created
> > improperly, which is ultimately affecting the MD5 hashes that are
> > queried.  For instance, I ran PDB and traced execution to show this.
> > Is the Python code up to date with the latest Google SB API?  Or
> > perhaps I created the database incorrectly?  What is interesting to me
> > is that I was also unable to get another C++ based SB API tool to
> > work, and the author is currently investigating.http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/cf/squid-gsbapi.html
>
> First up, I was slightly wrong to have asked you to check the
> archives. There is no guarantee that a site found in the malware list
> would be found in the future. The sites are reviewed periodically. You
> can checkhttp://www.stopbadware.org/home/topsitesfor a set of links.
>
> Regarding whether the code is working fine...it seems to be and you
> can check it out in action athttp://thejaswi.info/projects/safe_browsing/.

Thejaswi Puthraya

Oct 20, 2008, 1:02:26 PM10/20/08
to Google Safe Browsing API
On Oct 20, 8:24 pm, Oliver Fisher <oliver.fis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> malware.testing.google.test/testing/malware/ should appear in the
> malware list.
>
> O.
> Google Anti-Malware Team.
>
> On Oct 17, 11:45 pm, Thejaswi Puthraya <thejaswi.puthr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
[snipped]

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for the link, now that should solve the problem for so many.

--
Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya

acw