[Google Maps API v3] 2010/05/07: New Release (and features!)

Message has been deleted

Daniels Lee™

May 7, 2010, 11:24:31 PM5/7/10
to google-maps-js...@googlegroups.com, google-map...@googlegroups.com
We're very excited to announce another recent release of a new version of the API.  This release contains a handful of great new features for you to utilize.  Check them out below!

KML and Geo RSS Layers:
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/overlays.html#KMLLayers

Ground Overlays:
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/overlays.html#GroundOverlays

Traffic and Bicycling Layers:
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/overlays.html#TrafficLayer

====

See the full list of changes below:
http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/wiki/JavascriptMapsAPIv3Changelog

Changed issues:
- Issue 1458: Feature request: KML support in Google API v3
- Issue 1658: Add Traffic Overlay
- Issue 2209: Stack overflow
- Issue 2254: Multiple calls "setMap(gMap)" and "setMap(null)" on Circle object changes it's stroke and fill opacity

Noticeable changes:
- Added KML and GeoRSS Layers
- Added Ground Overlays
- Added new layers: Traffic and Bicycling
- Added "suppressBicyclingLayer" property against DirectionsRendererOptions
- Fixed bug to ensure zoom layer is correctly referenced when MapType changes
- Renamed DirectionsResult property "start/end_point" to "start/end_location"
- Renamed DirectionsLeg property "start/end_geocode" with "start/end_address"
- Renamed DirectionsRoute "optimized_waypoint_order" property with "waypoint_order"
- Removed support for old directions property names (setTripIndex, getTripIndex, hideTripList, provideTripAlternatives)
- Updated GeocoderGeometry.latLng to GeocoderGeometry.location

Please test and provide feedback!

William

May 8, 2010, 4:53:09 AM5/8/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
On May 8, 1:24 pm, Daniels Lee™ <daniel...@google.com> wrote:
>>> - Added Ground Overlays
>
> Please test and provide feedback!

I did a test of the Ground Overlays and found a problem when the map
goes past 180 degrees longitude.

The following map has one Ground Overlay, with data from 0 to 180
degrees longitude.

If you pan the map eastwards, the Overlay will disappear when the
eastern edge of the map passes over 180 degrees east.

I guess the image is still there but wrapped over in longitude to be
much further east.

http://www.william-map.com/20100508/2/problem.htm

neavilag

May 8, 2010, 10:11:30 AM5/8/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Hi, this is great, in the case of GroundOverlays is it possible to put
the map data (street names, places above ) or set a transparency to
the image

thanks

On May 7, 9:24 pm, Daniels Lee™ <daniel...@google.com> wrote:
> We're very excited to announce another recent release of a new version of
> the API.  This release contains a handful of great new features for you to
> utilize.  Check them out below!
>
> KML and Geo RSS Layers:http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/overlays.html#KMLLa...
>
> Ground Overlays:http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/overlays.html#Groun...
>
> Traffic and Bicycling Layers:http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/overlays.html#Traff...
>
> ====
>
> See the full list of changes below:http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/wiki/JavascriptMapsAPIv3Cha...

Brad

May 8, 2010, 1:55:02 PM5/8/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Going (sort of) along with neavilag's question, what is the real
benefit to using the GroundOverlay class vs. making a custom overlay?
(Or is it simply that GroundOverlay is a special "instance" of a
custom overlay that has a bunch of predefined stuff already set?)

Evan

May 8, 2010, 3:14:44 PM5/8/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Ever since this update my map does not show any tiles. I see them
they look like, but the map just shows a bland gray color. Is there a
way I can revert to a previous version like with the v2 API?

Thanks,
Evan

On May 7, 11:24 pm, Daniels Lee™ <daniel...@google.com> wrote:
> We're very excited to announce another recent release of a new version of
> the API.  This release contains a handful of great new features for you to
> utilize.  Check them out below!
>
> Traffic and Bicycling Layers:http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/overlays.html#Traff...
>
> ====
>
> See the full list of changes below:http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/wiki/JavascriptMapsAPIv3Cha...

Ben Appleton

May 8, 2010, 11:23:57 PM5/8/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com

Hi Evan,

Please provide a link to your site.  Which browser and operating system were you using when you saw the bug?

Thanks
Ben

On 9 May 2010 11:13, "Evan" <ewpa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ever since this update my map does not show any tiles. I see them
they look like, but the map just shows a bland gray color. Is there a
way I can revert to a previous version like with the v2 API?

Thanks,
Evan

On May 7, 11:24 pm, Daniels Lee™ <daniel...@google.com> wrote:

> We're very excited to announce ano...

> Changed issues:
> - Issue 1458: Feature request: KML support in Google API v3

> - Issue 1658: Ad...

thebasa

May 20, 2010, 12:09:41 PM5/20/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I'm using google.maps.TrafficLayer() and google.maps.BicyclingLayer()
to toggle traffic and bikes on and off, and I'm finding that these
only display over ROADMAP, HYBRID and TERRAIN but not SATELLITE or any
of my custom tile layers. Has anyone noticed this?