Elevation API and Road Tunnels

Wolfgang

Sep 10, 2010, 4:26:46 AM9/10/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Hi all,

I used the Google Maps API V3 with the DirectionsService to calculate
routes and I’m using the ElevationService to display the elevation
profile for a certain route – which works fine! Unfortunately Google
Maps does not include road tunnels for the elevation profile, e.g.
when a route directs me through a tunnel, I get the elevation profile
of the mountain instead of the road which goes through a tunnel.
I prepared an example: http://www.infonova.com/download/groute/tunnel_example/index.html
where a route is calculated through the Arlberg road tunnel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlberg_Road_Tunnel
Is there a way to enable the calculation of elevation profiles for
tunnels? Does Google Maps consider tunnels?

thanks,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Sep 13, 2010, 5:50:02 AM9/13/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I found out that the same problem occurs when the route goes over a
bridge.
Example over the 'Europabrücke': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europabr%C3%BCcke
Start: Fraubichl, 6082 Patsch, Österreich
Destination: Schönberg, 6141 Schönberg Im Stubaital, Österreich

Miguel Angel Vilela

Sep 13, 2010, 6:17:21 AM9/13/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com

This is because the Elevation API gives you terrain elevation, not road elevation. You'd need to know where tunnels and bridges start and end but that is not provided in the API either. With any luck, directions might give you hints about toll bridges and tunnels, but not necessarily at the exact point where road elevation departs from terrain elevation.

This could be an interesting feature request for the Elevation API, please file on in the issue tracker if you would like us to look into it.

Thanks,
Miguel

Botond Attila Bócsi

Jun 19, 2017, 6:57:21 AM6/19/17
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
There is a Google Maps API feature request: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/62757830
I guess more votes (stars) make it more likely to be implemented.