Selecting region through Maps

Srijan Shukla

Jul 17, 2016, 7:39:50 PM7/17/16
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Hello,

I want to implement something like this,
The user is shown the world map with boundaries of continents highlighted and then selects a continent,
Map then zooms, to continent level view and then the countries are highlighted and then user selects a continent, and so on, to state then on to city view.
Then in the city view I want to put some markers according to the data I have for that particular region view.

I'm a newbie, so can someone guide me on how to go about this? By far, the only part I'm capable of implementing is putting markers on the map.
I have no idea how to go about the rest of it. Thanks in advance!