Google Maps Reverse Reocoding API returns nearest land address given a latlng in sea

Xin Zhang

Jan 8, 2017, 7:35:57 PM1/8/17
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3

Hi,

In my project, I'm using Google Geocoding and Reverse Geocoding APIs to validate the addresses and latlngs provided by end users.

Given latlng -37.857866,144.950706, the Reverse Geocoding API (https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?latlng=-37.857866,144.950706) returns the nearest land address.

However on Google Map web page, that latlng actually is in the sea: https://www.google.com.au/maps/search/-37.857866,144.950706

Is there anyway that I can tell Google Reverse Geocoding API to not return me the nearest land address? In real project, actually I provide the API key and specify location types, e.g. https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?key=&location_type=ROOFTOP|RANGE_INTERPOLATED|GEOMETRIC_CENTER&latlng=-37.857866,144.950706 and I'm just thinking if the place specified by the latlng is not address as specified, Google should return me ZERO_RESULTS.

Thanks and regards,

Eric

JKurtock

Jan 9, 2017, 2:35:32 PM1/9/17
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Just geocode the address you receive, then compute the distance between what you provided and what you got back.  Decide on a threshold (based on the source of  your lat-lng in the first place) for what reverse geocoding you will accept.

Reverse geocoding generally returns the lat-lng of the top of the house.  If you are using a lat-lng from, for instance, routing data, the lat-lng you have may be the street in front of the house, which could easily be 100 meters away.

Arbitrarily returning "zero results" when the submitted lat-lng is over water wouldn't be a very good design.  If your user is "picking" a location from a map, it would be very easy for the user to "miss" the exact top of a sea-side home and click a location a few meters off the beach.

- Jeff

ShArMeSh SaRnA

Jan 9, 2017, 4:54:33 PM1/9/17
to google-map...@googlegroups.com