Questions about the new Google My Maps

Rob McMahon

Nov 28, 2014, 8:44:28 AM11/28/14
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
I have some questions about the new Google My Maps. If this isn't the right forum for My Maps I'd be grateful if someone could forward this post to someone who deals with My Maps.

The new My Maps interface is generally good and contains some useful improvements. The problems I have are with the transition from maps created with the classic My Maps to the new My Maps and also with the export of KML data.

1. Custom markers in the exported KML have been replaced with generic white markers. Even the old My Map markers have been replaced. Can custom markers be included again in the KML output ?

2. Polylines which were created from the classic My Maps have been placed into a separate layer (together with  2 new markers and a duplicate polyline). If there are more than 5 polylines in the original map then the layer limit for the My Map is exceeded and the map can no longer be edited (without upgrading to My Maps Pro).There is no option to revert to classic My Maps so when this happens you are stuck with a map which cannot be edited.

3. Can the new My Maps display a static KML or KMZ link ? This feature was very useful in the old My Maps for people who wanted to display their My Maps data in a v3 API based mashup.
You can get this link using:

which works for publicly shared My Maps. Could this link be displayed when 'export' is selected from the menu ?

Whether intentional or not, the new My Maps do seem to place a lot of obstacles in the way of people who want to use My Maps as a data source for a mashup.

For me the major issue is the custom marker URLs. Including custom marker URLs in the exported KML would make My Maps a more useful product to a lot of people.

Barry Hunter

Nov 28, 2014, 8:54:20 AM11/28/14
to google-maps-js-api-v3
Please post this in the main Google Maps forum, it has a category for My Maps.

Barry Hunter

Nov 28, 2014, 8:55:58 AM11/28/14
to google-maps-js-api-v3
Also if you can, please include a link to an example map that demonstrates pt 1. An example will help Google debug.

Rob McMahon

Nov 28, 2014, 9:15:42 AM11/28/14
to google-map...@googlegroups.com