Withdrawal of KML support from old Google Maps

Tony Voss

Nov 15, 2014, 10:05:41 AM11/15/14
to google-maps...@googlegroups.com
I am not an expert in this area, so I would be really grateful for guidance.  I have a series of maps displaying tracks of my yacht - see here for an example, spelt out as:
Basically I invoke Google Maps and load a .kml track file from my DropBox account and qualify with position and scaling info.

This is now giving a warning that the ability to load a .kml file into the old-style Google Maps is being withdrawn after February 2015 and I must migrate to the new maps system.
But I am not sure what I need to migrate to.  Searching often leads me to old advice using this deprecated approach.  I have had a peek at the API documentation but am not sure where I need to go.  I need to be able to publish a map (not share a map with named individuals), load my .kml file from my own space and allow the user to pan, zoom etc.

Please can Some Kind Soul point me in the right direction?  Perhaps a pointer to the relevant documentation page for what I want to do, or an example of something similar that I could adapt.  I would really appreciate this.  And apologies if I am cluttering up the wrong forum - a pointer to the right one would be appreciated.

thanks in anticipation of a response

Barry Hunter

Nov 15, 2014, 5:04:25 PM11/15/14
to google-maps...@googlegroups.com

I need to be able to publish a map (not share a map with named individuals), load my .kml file from my own space and allow the user to pan, zoom etc.

Well to do specifically that, would need to use the Google Maps API, to create the map. Some javascript coding will be required.

The main place to look would be

Alternatively you could load your map into My Maps, but it will be a static copy. so if you update the KML file, will need to reimport it into My Maps. My Maps does have an embed option.

Please can Some Kind Soul point me in the right direction?  Perhaps a pointer to the relevant documentation page for what I want to do, or an example of something similar that I could adapt.  I would really appreciate this.

And apologies if I am cluttering up the wrong forum - a pointer to the right one would be appreciated.

Well frankly there isnt really one that covers this!.

The one perhaps most likly to be able to help you is:
But google actively discourage its use, so its a bit of a ghost town!