North Park, Billings, MT

Shawn Kearney

Jan 31, 2013, 2:27:09 AM1/31/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I seem to be in a bit of a map maker war with another user who keeps switching the name of my neighborhood back to it's unofficial name, North Side. I have provided links to the City website, but regardless this local has switched back to North Side without any real explanation why. It seems this map maker feels just as attached to his edit as I do, only mine is actually correct with the City of Billings agreeing with me!

I've switched it back to North Park and made note in the description of it's unofficial name as "North Side", as well as a link to the Neighborhood's website on the City of Billings site, but is there any way to ensure that it's official name on the map remains the same?

It seems to me that people ought to have to provide some shred of evidence before changing entire neighborhoods around. It seems I could just rename Rimrock "Yuppieland" if I wanted to... :/

Andrew Sawyer

Jan 31, 2013, 2:35:35 AM1/31/13
to General Map Maker on behalf of Shawn Kearney
Could you provide some links of the "switching" you are referring to?

Is the user changing to name type of a neighborhood feature? Or replacing one name with the other?

In case your unfamiliar with Naming conventions on Map Maker here's the 411: http://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/1096113?hl=en

From: Shawn Kearney via General Map Maker <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQfh...@googlegroups.com>
Sender: General Map Maker on behalf of Shawn Kearney <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:27:09 -0800 (PST)
ReplyTo: General Map Maker on behalf of Shawn Kearney <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: North Park, Billings, MT

[...]

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.

Geoffrey Perez

Jan 31, 2013, 3:56:05 AM1/31/13
to General Map Maker on behalf of Shawn Kearney
Just so you know, it is possible to have BOTH names on the feature, and one of them can be marked Primary.

If the North Side name is used more often despite the North Park name being official, then North Side would be the one marked with the Primary name type and North Park marked Official.

If it's the opposite, the North Park name would be marked Primary, and the North Side name left without a name type. The option for Obscure would be inappropriate here as there are actual businesses that have "North Side" incorporated into their names.

All of these names would optionally have the Local language name type as they are all English names and this is in the United States.