Heads-up: New e-mail content, format, styling experiments starting soon

Jayanth Mysore

Jul 17, 2012, 12:10:50 AM7/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -

I am starting this thread to enable discussions on another announcement I posted earlier today. This one relates to some changes in how e-mails will look and feel and for some of you, how GRs communicate with you. The first of these changes is a look and feel change that will impact all of you.

You can read the details in the announcement@  Heads-up: New e-mail content, format, styling experiments starting soon

Please discuss your ideas, feedback, questions in this thread here.

Thanks,
Jayanth, Product Manager on behalf of the Map Maker team
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jayanth Mysore

Jul 17, 2012, 12:33:27 AM7/17/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Andrew Sawyer
Great point, Andrew.  We'll try to name the bot and share. For all practical purposes it should resemble the other bots that touch local listings.

Also remember that it's a ONE-TIME run - so you'll not see it touching a listing more than once.

- Jayanth
Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM, General Map Maker on behalf of Andrew Sawyer <google-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. My only question right now is will we know which Anonymous user is the bot in question?

Can we have the URL for the profile so we can keep an eye on it? Otherwise this thread is going to turn into a deluge of "I think this is the bot..." and multiple URLs of suspect bots will be posted. Currently, the lack of a name/ID# and icon make it difficult to distinguish bots from editors, until they rack up thousands of edits. Hopefully this new bot will be distinguishable in some way so we can provide our local knowledge critiques of its merging.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

rjhintz

Jul 17, 2012, 10:12:30 AM7/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
See notes on A-B testing as pointed to in Greg Linden's posting.
--
Rich

Queen City Painting

Jul 17, 2012, 10:38:43 AM7/17/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Jayanth Mysore
I am not sure if you were replying to me but my business is Queen City Painting Company www.queencitypaintingcompany.com
We move from 1320 Fillmore Ave. Unit 407 Charlotte Nc to 424 N. McDowell Street Charlotte Nc. 28204    We have tried on several occasions to Update the address on Map Maker and it keeps saying denied. We get our mail at 424 N. McDowell, We have updated the address on Google Places but for some reason this wont go live and get updated till Mapmaker is updated and we have been trying for months now. Any help would be appriciated.. Oh, our phone number is 704-996-9266 if that helps

Ron

Jayanth Mysore

Jul 17, 2012, 10:44:55 AM7/17/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of rjhintz
Thank you very much, Rich. I will be sure to review and apply.

Thanks,
Jayanth
Jayanth P. Mysore | Product Manager | jay...@google.com |

Flash

Jul 17, 2012, 10:38:41 PM7/17/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
QCP, please create your own thread, and include in it the link to your Places page and the link to your Map Maker listing.

rjhintz

Aug 9, 2012, 11:22:17 AM8/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Some micro feedback based on an interaction with someone using a non-English language interface that was having some issues getting reviews.

The primary function of an email regarding a Map Maker issue is to communicate information that will resolve a concern.  The minimum elements needed to resolve a concern are:
  • specific, satellite view, zoomed in, language neutral link to a feature
  • description of the concern
Everything else ("Thanks for Mapping!"  "Happy Mapping!"  "For a good time, please map and call 555-1212!") is filler.

Mappers are challenged depicting links to features.  I usually give my "Here's how to generate a link" blurb several times a day and I'm not the only one.  This needs attention.

Better descriptions of what's irregular about a feature are needed.  Same, needs attention, but obviously more complex.

I don't care what else is added to the mapper email, though perhaps it could go below a demarcation like:
----------------Noise Follows-----------------------

--
Rich

João Pedro Ferreira

Aug 9, 2012, 11:48:35 AM8/9/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of rjhintz
+1

Particularly:
  • specific, satellite view, zoomed in, language neutral link to a feature AND Help center
 (using English language query(hl=en) on the URLs will override user native language settings)

Cheers,
JPF

rjhintz

Aug 9, 2012, 12:10:47 PM8/9/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Right, I know how to override the language issue, but my point is, and I think you agree, is that it shouldn't be hard for relatively new mappers who just want to be helpful and review the feature.  They get a view not in their language and then get frustrated.
--
Rich

João Pedro Ferreira

Aug 9, 2012, 1:21:28 PM8/9/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of rjhintz
Indeed!

(Sorry Rich I didn't want to direct my comment on the URL language query specifically to you, what I meant was that GMM settings, sometimes(many),  use URLs(/short URLs) with English query by default when several other languages exist on/for the Help Center and regional forums. IIUC using neutral language or no language query, whenever possible, will display the web pages on mapper default settings. And that might mitigate lost in translation issues ;)