Bus stop placement question

sot...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2011, 12:45:34 AM4/24/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Pretty commonly in Google Maps in the Twin Cities two bus stops on each side of the street will only be represented by one icon, with transit data for each stop. http://goo.gl/maps/wVHc is an example.

I've looked around but I can't find an answer if it's correct to place the bus stop marker in the center of the intersection, off to one side so it's in the correct location for at least one stop, or create a second bus stop location.

Ideally I'm sure creating another bus stop location marker right on the second stop would be best, but then does that marker receive/break transit data?

Now if Google will be so kind to add "Bus Stop" as a category. A single bus stop isn't a 'station' :)

y.va...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2011, 9:13:35 AM4/27/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I can expand the problem with metro station exits. There can be up to 20 exits. Now we need to mark them all as standalone objects.

Rajnish

Nov 7, 2011, 2:16:01 AM11/7/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to bump on this old post, but I thought its better to post here instead of creating a new one.

Now when Bus Stop category has finally reappeared, we need clarification on Bus Stops on either side of the road, under following conditions :

  1. Bus stops on either side of  2 one way roads, exactly opposite each other.
  2. Bus Stops, sharing same name on either side of roads, but not exactly opposite each other.
  3. In many busy streets bus stops on same side of road share same name, but different locations for different buses.
  4. Bus Stops around intersections and on different sides of different roads, sharing same name.
Official Clarification on this confusion will keep maps clean and useful.

siva n

Nov 7, 2011, 4:04:13 AM11/7/11
to General Map Maker on behalf of Rajnish
+1 Rajnish,
As some times the other bus stop  of the pair are being removed on the plea of duplicate listing.

- To post a public reply in this same thread:

- To post a note to the group on a *different* General Map Maker topic:
Visit http://goo.gl/DeX9Z and click on "New topic"

or
E-mail google-...@googlegroups.com

- To unsubscribe from this list:
Send email to
google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com

- To see additional useful options:
Visit http://goo.gl/GDnr and click on "Membership."

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! :-)

--
With regards,
Siva

Serge

Nov 7, 2011, 6:00:34 AM11/7/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
+1 Rajnish,

And,

5. Should we specify only the bus stops names, or buses numbers also? If so, where should be specified buses numbers?
6. Can we approve a bus stops, if the user does not specified the bus stop name.
7. What about a tram stops?

Greg Noel

Nov 8, 2011, 4:25:04 PM11/8/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of bus stops...  If the bus/trolley/whatever information about stops/stations is provided by the local transit authority (as is true here in San Diego), should we also be adding such information?  I believe the information from the transit district is on a separate overlay that we can't modify, so if we are supposed to be making edits, exactly what should we be adding?

Saikrishna Arcot

Nov 8, 2011, 10:26:01 PM11/8/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I was only able to add the location details (street, city, state, etc.) on one bus stop, but I couldn't change the category (Feature is corrupt error, I think). I'm not sure if this really helps much.

Rajnish

Nov 18, 2011, 4:46:03 AM11/18/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
We are yet to find any answer from GMM team on this issue, and I am here with another issue regarding adding suffix 'Bus Stop' after official name. I have noticed that in Delhi and Mumbai (both in India), if we use official name of the stops without any suffix, the Bus Stop gets linked to the Transit Data on maps and starts showing very useful information like Bus Numbers and timings.
But normally when I add any Bus Stop, it directly goes for moderation and the reviewer asks for adding the suffix. Addition of Suffix delinks the Bus Stop from the transit data.
Normally the logic given by Google reviewers for adding the suffix is that

Hi, I will add "Bus Stop" to the name for better visibility. Thanks!

My question is, Where is the suffix visible, the moment we add category Bus Stop or Bus Station with or without the suffix, it starts showing the little bus stop icon next to name and be default it hides the suffix.

Now what is more important to end users - a. Bus Stop with the transit data or b. Bus Stop with added suffix 'Bus Stop'?