Your thoughts and suggestions on Map Maker Update - Dec 13, 2012

Sneha

Dec 13, 2012, 8:59:05 AM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mappers,

We welcome your thoughts and suggestions on the recent release, on this thread.

Cheers,
Sneha

Vishal Saini

Dec 13, 2012, 9:02:00 AM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Really Nice :)

Wthrwyz

Dec 13, 2012, 9:11:27 AM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Still getting used to the new review panel. I absolutely love the "Partially" option - THIS NEEDS TO BE AVAILABLE FOR ALL EDITS!

Vishal Saini

Dec 13, 2012, 9:19:38 AM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Have you removed the auto denial Feature?

Arijit De

Dec 13, 2012, 9:21:41 AM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
It's still there. The option appears when you select "Don't know" and type a comment requesting more information.

Vishal Saini

Dec 13, 2012, 9:36:40 AM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, appears only when we write comments, Thanks

Jet

Dec 13, 2012, 2:16:15 PM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Is there any way to remove or otherwise identify edits which cannot be reviewed? (e.g. "This edit is not open for user reviews.")

The past 10 edits I looked at were all either "sensitive" when I try and review or just can't be reviewed -- I can't even comment on them so it's just a waste of time and space to list them.  Seems to be more of this with this update.

Flash

Dec 13, 2012, 2:33:16 PM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I'm finding that the new format only leaves so much room for certain fields, and things are thus getting cut off a lot.  As an example, the names of mappers; it doesn't even show half of the import bot's names.  If perhaps a pop-up bubble showed when I hovered over it with the full info, then it would be less annoying; but for now what I'm seeing is that you made the text bigger and more poorly formatted so that I'm not able to see it despite dual 24" monitors; which is kind of ridiculous.

Andrew Sawyer

Dec 13, 2012, 3:25:08 PM12/13/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Flash
I like the UI changes, but in addition to Flash's issues raised, I have one with the formatting of the History. Previously the main name was bolded at the top of each edit, however that's been replaced with the cut-off name of the user making the edit. Previously it was easy to find issues with duplicates/merges/improper name changes by scrolling through the history. Now it will take significantly more work to look at each edit for name changes to find trouble with the feature. This is an issue when the History is long.
From: Flash via General Map Maker <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQcd...@googlegroups.com>
Sender: General Map Maker on behalf of Flash <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:33:16 -0800 (PST)
ReplyTo: General Map Maker on behalf of Flash <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Your thoughts and suggestions on Map Maker Update - Dec 13, 2012

I'm finding that the new format only leaves so much room for certain fields, and things are thus getting cut off a lot.  As an example, the names of mappers; it doesn't even show half of the import bot's names.  If perhaps a pop-up bubble showed when I hovered over it with the full info, then it would be less annoying; but for now what I'm seeing is that you made the text bigger and more poorly formatted so that I'm not able to see it despite dual 24" monitors; which is kind of ridiculous.

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Flash

Dec 13, 2012, 3:39:26 PM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I did not spot that.  Andrew is right, a lot of issues due to duplicates will not be identifiable.  And if the duplicates happened on the other database, they must be fixed there by Places support, so we need that information so that we don't do months of editing and re-editing only to say "Sorry, should have sent you to Places support to start".

Justin Oleyte

Dec 13, 2012, 4:43:14 PM12/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I'm fairly new to the Map Maker Community.  I'm a webmaster at a small community college in Bismarck, ND.  If you have an suggestions, please feel free to send them my way.

I'm trying to map my campus.  United Tribes Technical College, Bismarck, ND.

Cheers!

Andrew Sawyer

Dec 13, 2012, 4:49:48 PM12/13/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Justin Oleyte
Justin, welcome to the forum. My first suggestion to you is to post replies/comments in the appropriate thread. You chose a thread about a Map Maker UI announcement to ask for help using Map Maker to map your school. Post a new thread with some of your initial questions and myself and others will help you there.
From: Justin Oleyte via General Map Maker <google-mapmaker+noreply-APn2wQeu...@googlegroups.com>
Sender: General Map Maker on behalf of Justin Oleyte <google-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:43:14 -0800 (PST)
ReplyTo: General Map Maker on behalf of Justin Oleyte <google-...@googlegroups.com>

Agarwal amit

Dec 14, 2012, 1:43:15 AM12/14/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
We are working on how can we show maximum information about the mapper including full name at the top of the edit. Please expect improvements in the next release.

On Friday, December 14, 2012 1:55:08 AM UTC+5:30, Andrew Sawyer wrote:
I like the UI changes, but in addition to Flash's issues raised, I have one with the formatting of the History. Previously the main name was bolded at the top of each edit, however that's been replaced with the cut-off name of the user making the edit. Previously it was easy to find issues with duplicates/merges/improper name changes by scrolling through the history. Now it will take significantly more work to look at each edit for name changes to find trouble with the feature. This is an issue when the History is long.

Saikrishna Arcot

Dec 14, 2012, 4:15:17 PM12/14/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The graying out of the text in the details of features marked duplicates only covers the part of the details that is on the screen. Anything beyond (for which you have to scroll down) is not in gray. Example: http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=39&fid=0x864c21fda92dfd03:0xa4064a50915c5c96

Chirag shah

Dec 15, 2012, 3:12:26 AM12/15/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Google Sakthivel

Dec 15, 2012, 11:54:43 AM12/15/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Will / NeoPhoenixTE

Dec 15, 2012, 12:39:55 PM12/15/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
One thing with the new denial options is missing that I'm surprised has gone missing. What option are you supposed to pick when an edit is just flat out wrong? Example: Someone submits an edit to a business across the street marking it as closed. I look out the window, see people going in and out of it and even wave at the cashier. Clearly it's still open and running, yet there's no "wrong information" option for something like this, especially if it's an edit from Google Maps (cannot request more information).

I've been picking "Other" for now, but the lack of a straight out "No" seems to be quite the oversight if you ask me. :)

Vishal Saini

Dec 15, 2012, 1:05:45 PM12/15/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

I have a little bit objection with the word "Don't Know" because most of the reviewers know that mapper has done wrong in the edit, they give them chance to undo so they can correct their mistake, so technically word should be something else, not "Don't Know".

Thanks

Nitin Chauhan

Dec 18, 2012, 5:14:04 AM12/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

I noticed today that symbols from most regional highways in Gujarat India wiped out from map !

Hope it is not glitch or worse live testing of code changes :)

Mirke Niš

Dec 18, 2012, 6:51:47 AM12/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I have problem with adding places on the map. Add place, category and the name, but we do not open an option: Continue. Also we are not an option for open drawing sites, shooting ranges.
Message has been deleted

Ashikur Rahman

Dec 18, 2012, 10:26:57 PM12/18/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Rafi Khan
Sorry I could not review the link cause some google service has been void in our country.
Message has been deleted

Nitin Chauhan

Dec 28, 2012, 3:05:24 AM12/28/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

Now, it shows changes successful but UI stays unresponsive noticeably longer.

I used to do other action almost immediately after it displayed  'Successful' or other message.

Thanks for easier UI.

Libyano

Dec 28, 2012, 7:37:11 AM12/28/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I notice there is slowness in the last two days and when I press on anything can not load .

David

Dec 31, 2012, 12:02:15 PM12/31/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I like the update for the most part, but it does have a few issues.

I think the duplicates feature needs to be tweaked more to show which marker should remain, and which should go.  See here for an example of one of my least favorite locations.  http://goo.gl/3nmGX  The business in this location (Ham's Restaurant) closed a long time ago.  East coast wings is here now in same building.  Other than building, they have nothing in common, but people keep "resurrecting" Hams and it's associated edits.  I tried to fix this a long time ago, but it has remained a pain in the butt.

Not sure if this was an issue with the GUI update or the database update, but many businesses in my hometown were compressed into the same location because of a typo in their addresses (they are all on the same street that is commonly misspelled.)  Maybe a batch edit for things like this with only high level member approval or coordination?  No telling how many are at this location as it always says 26 no matter how many I fix.  http://goo.gl/1Hp5q

Some buildings didn't make the transition well and are ghosts when trying to locate businesses into them.  What I mean is that they are not selectable and give the "Building not mapped" error, while others around them are fine.

I love the new approval options.  One thing I would like to see in the review option would be the ability to help or suggest something to the creator of the edit, such as tweaks to geometry on items without having to create a whole new edit.  As an example, and edit to a parking lot where it doesn't extend to the road.  The edit is approved with their original edit, but it is then referred back to the creator with the option to approve or deny the suggestions without further review.  This way, newer editors can create something,  see possibly a better way of doing it, learn from it, but not have to wait for their edit in limbo for someone else to come along and approve it again.

Over all, Map Maker is awesome!

Now...if only the guys running the Ingress game would update their copy of the map database as quickly, or give us an option to help tag portals in Map Maker as a separate feature (for their review only, of course) then we would  have a seamless product. :-)

Geovanni Martinez

Dec 31, 2012, 1:38:36 PM12/31/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I live in Belize, Central america and in particular on the island of Ambergris Caye, some of the streets are misaligned and have extra segments that shouldn't be there. If there is a way to address this issue, i would be willing to help.

Daniel Ching

Jan 4, 2013, 1:11:11 AM1/4/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Fixing duplicates is proving to be frustrating because I get "Building not mapped" error when trying to associate POIs with their respective buildings. I believe it is because when there are pending changes to a building (e.g. the name) it moves into the "uneditable limbo".

Wthrwyz

Jan 4, 2013, 2:36:43 AM1/4/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Correct. You cannot attach a point to a building that has not been approved yet because it does not technically exist. If the building edit were to be denied or undone, where would that leave your poor point? Orphaned! There are enough corrupt features in the database already - the last thing we need is a way to create invalid references at will. This was a wise decision on their part. :)

Saikrishna Arcot

Jan 4, 2013, 7:47:56 AM1/4/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
If the building wasn't mapped, then it is as Wthrwyz says; however, if the building has been mapped, and you are just changing the attributes or the shape, you should be able to link the feature to the building. You might have to zoom out/zoom in though, for it to pick up the building correctly.

David

Jan 7, 2013, 3:02:00 PM1/7/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Here is a good one that I know many will agree with - make ambiguous errors like this "Related features changed while you were modifying the feature. Please reapply the change. Cannot apply the change to the approved state" give you a clue as to what is actually  wrong.  What related feature?  Is it something I can fix?  Reapply the change fails every time almost.  I have only once seen this error with an item flagged for me to fix, and it still didn't like it.  Very frustrating.

Wthrwyz

Jan 7, 2013, 4:33:49 PM1/7/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have a theory about that "Please reapply the change" error. I think when you load a feature in Map Maker, it grabs some sort of version key from the server regarding that place. I think this comes when the feature becomes selectable - i.e. if you are using select a place, then it loads when you click a spot on the map and the system retrieves all the points in the area, if you are using the browse tool, it loads when the clickable overlay is loaded. At any rate, once your browser has this version in memory, it doesn't refresh that until either you use the select tool again or if browsing I think you need to zoom in or out to refresh everything.

When you begin editing something, you are editing the version of that feature that was loaded by your browser and that version information is sent along with your form submission. If, by the time your edit makes it to Google's servers, the version does not match the latest thing in the database, you get this error. This error is asking you to abandon the edit, then re-select the point and get the latest data before trying the edit again. Simply trying to hit submit again will not work - you're still working with an out-of-date instance of the feature. Hitting cancel and re-selecting the point from your previous browse or search results won't work either because your browser has those cached. You basically need to exit out of Map Maker or re-load the page and then use the select or browse tools to find the feature again. Usually then it will work.

"Related features" simply refers to the fact that some things are tied together - intersections to line segments, points to buildings, polygons to the base point, etc. In addition, there are those data feeds into and out of Places and other sources, which may be the actual source of the "changes" being referred to - not necessarily another GMM user.

Sándor Tibor Tóth

Jan 9, 2013, 5:48:38 AM1/9/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

locking the boundaries of regions is very useful, while official changes can be followed pacely.
It would be helpful to enable the mapper format the locked boundary e.g. to change to continuous red line. ( May I have missed an existing tool?)
Cheers
Sandor

Eric R

Jan 9, 2013, 1:18:05 PM1/9/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
1) Perhaps this is addressed elsewhere but I can't find a way to break a road into two segments in order to modify the attributes of just one segment (example: a road that is asphalt to a certain point, then dirt). Apparently you have to add a fake intersecting piece and remove it later. Could be wrong.

2) Does not seem to be a way of breaking a road away from an intersection without deleting the whole road and re-adding it. I have a road that intersects another road on the map but in reality it stops short of that other road.

Eric R

Jan 9, 2013, 1:22:57 PM1/9/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, more stuff I thought of:

A) I have tried to move features that are in a very wrong location (like half-way across the city from real location), and it lets me move the marker but when I go try to put in the street address the drop-down menus only have choices from the area around the marker's OLD location. I then have to resort to typing the real address in the address line rather than using the actual dropdowns and its not really proper.

B) Sometimes I edit a feature and change something unrelated to the address like the name and when I save it it says address in incorrect format or something like that, and theres a check box saying like "use address as entered anyway" but using that still doesnt work. The addresses in question are perfectly fine.

Geoffrey Perez

Jan 9, 2013, 6:27:14 PM1/9/13
to General Map Maker on behalf of Eric R
1 is definitely correct. See http://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/2643105 under How to Create an Intersection.

Wthrwyz

Jan 9, 2013, 9:38:25 PM1/9/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@ Eric R: As Geoffrey says, the method you described in #1 is correct. As for #2, use the same method - draw a fake road to create a break, then just delete the non-existent segment. You would be surprised how many road edits will require either drawing something that doesn't exist and then correcting it, or deleting everything and starting over. Fortunately, both are viable options when it comes to roads and trails and that's why Google has it set so that eventually mappers who have proven themselves capable of making quality edits are trusted to make more and more road edits without moderation.

Your other concerns:

A) Move the marker and save its new position first; do not edit anything else. While that change is still pending, re-edit the feature and you should get the roads near the new location as select-able options. We should never enter the full street address in the Address Line box in Map Maker - it may look right, but the feature will not be indexed properly.

B) That is bad data coming over from another data source. Sometimes it will take the edit with that check box, but yes a lot of the time it gets stuck in a loop after that. I don't have a good fix for that, but you might try changing the address to something else and see if it will take the edit. If it does, try re-editing it and correcting the address. If you get totally stuck, undo the edit and use the "report this" option to note the bad data.

Eric R

Jan 10, 2013, 1:36:12 PM1/10/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you the moving the marker thing first worked.

Anyway for drawing the fake road would I actually save the fake road and then use the undo feature later on once I made the real change?

Wthrwyz

Jan 10, 2013, 2:33:14 PM1/10/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Well, the dummy road would have to be published before you would be able to further edit any nearby segments. I don't think you get an undo option on edits that create new features except on your own edits while they are still pending.

Eric R

Jan 10, 2013, 5:28:21 PM1/10/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Would you know if there are any plans to add a feature or something so the process does not take the extra step of creating a dummy road, it seems excessive. Thanks for the info

Wthrwyz

Jan 10, 2013, 6:58:39 PM1/10/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if it has been requested or discussed. It sounds like a good idea - check the Issue Tracker.

Udipto Roy

Jan 13, 2013, 2:28:47 PM1/13/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Help to Approve Places Near Haldibari, West Bengal. Please, Kindly search the Places Near Haldibari, West Bengal and approve the places, 1. Haldibari High School 2. Deshnandhu Chittaranjan Bus Terminus, Haldibari
and also 3. Haldibari.

Shahid Rather

Sark Shams

Jan 22, 2013, 2:09:11 AM1/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Lori,

I have added some locations to the map. It has been a week and not any approval yet. Here is the link

Saikrishna Arcot

Jan 22, 2013, 8:23:29 AM1/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Please request reviews in a separate thread by clicking on the "New Topic" button. This thread is only for the updates that occurred on December 13, 2012.

Plabon Mita

Jan 26, 2013, 1:54:10 PM1/26/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com

http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=66&ptab=0&uid=216817724868222864894&start=0&sort=

Please approve this place, This Place, My Area and i know this location

Geoffrey Perez

Jan 26, 2013, 2:10:47 PM1/26/13
to General Map Maker on behalf of Plabon Mita
Please see Saikrishna Arcot's previous message in this thread.

Naveen Goyal

Jan 29, 2013, 1:55:47 AM1/29/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
thanks Mam

Gireesh K

Jan 29, 2013, 2:31:26 AM1/29/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have been trying to chnage the location of Abra VMSD International FZE LLC, Dubai. In the address it is clearly mentioned that it is located in International Media Production Zone, #70 and 71. And I don't know even after myself editing this to its correct location it again goes back to Bur Dubai !!

And the phone, fax everything is wrong. I had reported this as spam and nothing has happened so far.

What is to be done now?

The funniest part is I am one of the Board Members !!

geopgeop

Jan 29, 2013, 3:26:57 AM1/29/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
As I've said before, please refer to Sai's previous message... in other words, please create a new topic.

Forum moderators, please lock this topic as it applies to the old December 13th update.

Lori Savageau

Feb 1, 2013, 12:45:16 PM2/1/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Map Makers -

To those of you who've given feedback re: the Map Maker Announcement - thank you so much for your valuable input! If you have any further comments, be sure to submit them through the Feedback link in the right side of the Map Maker screen.

To new mappers, and those of you seeking editing and reviewing assistance - please help us maintain the integrity and value of our feedback threads by posting to the appropriate places or starting new topics in the General Forum. Posting your messages in the appropriate locations not only assures a best response for your inquiry, but it helps other mappers search for questions pertaining to issues they may also be experiencing.

As this thread has derailed quite a bit, and the existing feedback regarding the announcement has been aggregated (Thanks so much!) I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread to help redirect our new mappers. In the meantime, stay tuned for our next update, and thanks to all for contributing your mapping know-how to the greater Map Maker community.

Cheers,
Lori

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:58:14 PM UTC-8, Marlowe Durousseau wrote:
Can you create a night view street view or similar for "pizza delivery's"?
This conversation is locked