At your MapUp, how do you search for places that need to be improved/edited?

aygul

Feb 3, 2013, 7:27:18 PM2/3/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you're using any secret "algorithm" to search for places that need to be improved (=edited). At the beginning of your MapUp events, what places do you start with?
In other words, how do you find places with the most incomplete information (no website, no opening hours, etc.)? Maybe there is some kind of logical steps I'm not aware of :)

Thank you,
Aygul

Flash

Feb 4, 2013, 1:28:03 PM2/4/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I've never attended a MapUp, but to be truthful, its usually just a case of progressing down a street.  If  street hasn't been cleaned up before/recently, which is obvious by the markers mainly being on the street instead of at the front doors of the businesses, you will often find that pretty well every business needs to be cleaned.

Even those claimed in G+ are usually in need of repair, as most owners go with the location off the marker on the street, G+ doesn't send over address information very well to Maps, and owners use inappropriate names and categories all the time.

Most, however, are not claimed and thus need to be cleaned also.

Aygul Zagidullina

Feb 5, 2013, 12:08:20 PM2/5/13
to General Map Maker on behalf of Flash
Thanks Flash! I especially like you pointing to "the markers mainly being on the street instead of at the front doors of the businesses". Very clever, I'll make sure to use this trick in my editing activities :)

I still wish we had tools that could make the process more efficient, some kind of filter that we could use to find those places...

Stevestr-CO/IL/CA

Feb 22, 2013, 12:44:45 AM2/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I wish for those same tools but wouldn't hold my breath on them.