Need Help with Overlays

RB Kingery

Mar 23, 2013, 6:07:02 PM3/23/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hello:
I am fairly new to GMM & have not been able to get the "Overlay" function to work.  In particular, I can't seem to get it to link to my uploaded kml file.  Following is what I have done:

1.  Turned on the Overlay Function
2.  Uploaded .kml file to Google Maps\MyPlaces  URL follows:

3.  Paste URL into Overlay Kml text box
4.  Press "Add" button & hit "OK"

I have tried the following:
  A.  Hosting .kml on Google Maps Myplaces & also Fusion (per the GMM overlay help topic advice)
  B.  Tried different browsers (IE9 & Chrome)
  C.  Cleared IE9 cache

I am suspicious that I am doing something incorrect with the hosting of the .kml, but the link seems to work when I "paste" it into the IE9 URL box.  I'm stumped!

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you -

trailman

Mar 24, 2013, 9:46:22 PM3/24/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Follow these steps:

1. Open your Google Maps link:

2. On the left pane, right click the Link for "KML" and choose "Copy link address"

3. Switch toGoogle  Mapmaker. Choose Overlays > Manage Overlays

4. In the KML box, right click and Paste. It should paste this slightly different  URL:

5. Click "ADD" then "OK"

RB Kingery

Mar 24, 2013, 11:55:03 PM3/24/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Trailman:
Your advice worked perfectly!
Thank you so much.  I was suspicious that I was missing something simple & as is so often the case, the answer was perfectly logical & right there before me.

Thanks again -

Hector Marcelo Mercado

Mar 25, 2013, 12:38:26 PM3/25/13
to General Map Maker on behalf of trailman
Hello I see your are sharing back and forward information on overlays, I can as for help, I have Google Earth file I can see it on maps, to create the overlay in GMM, can you help me to see it on GM to create my Overlay in the GMM?
I will appreciate your help!
Note: Using Google Earth, I create my KML file and this is imported to Google map to see the link on it, but the view of this is getting display all over in America??? and the file no work in Google Map??? well I need a help! Please help me!

Regards,
Hector MMS

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.

Hector Marcelo Mercado
Cancun, Mexico Movil:  01- 998-213-4106
 Advocate / Google Map Maker Power Mapper; Regional Expert Reviewer (RER) for Latin America, Centro America & The Caribbean  Google Map Maker
Skype: Businessaruba

Message has been deleted

RB Kingery

Mar 25, 2013, 8:12:36 PM3/25/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, March 25, 2013 5:49:08 PM UTC-6, RB Kingery wrote:
Hello - Although this is all new, to me & I am far from an expert, I will attempt to answer your question.

It appears that you are having some difficulty getting the .kml file from Google Earth (GE) into Google Maps (GM) so that you can "host" it for later use as an overlay.  Following is the procedure that worked for me:

1.  Within GE-My Places > Selected the .kmz file of choice & using "Save As" - saved it to my local drive
    2.  Used a "Zip" utility to "extract" the .kml from the .kmz on the local drive.
    3.   Within GM-My Places:
         a.  Selected "Create Map"
         b.  Selected "import" (top left)
         c.  "Browse" to local drive & import .kml file

Although there may be an easier process - that is what I did to get the .kml from GE to GM.
In looking at the process, it looks like there is the option within GE to "save as" a .kml instead of a .kmz.  This would eliminate step #2.  Also, when I select the appropriate item in GM-My Places, GM immediately zooms to the proper location - it definitely does not show the entire US.  I hope that this helps - good luck.