Picasa 3.9 Released

Stephen

Dec 8, 2011, 6:33:16 PM12/8/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
With Google+ and sharing support. No official support for Linux. See http://goo.gl/qkvAJ for more information.Picasa3.9.png

--

Picasa3.9.png

Patrick Shanahan

Dec 8, 2011, 11:56:05 PM12/8/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Stephen <stephen...@gmail.com> [12-08-11 18:33]:

> With Google+ and sharing support. No official support for Linux. See
> http://goo.gl/qkvAJ for more information.[image: Picasa3.9.png]

dl and tried to install via wine w/o success ....

guess that's the end of *nix compatibility.....

The Real Bev

Dec 9, 2011, 12:55:58 AM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

> * Stephen<stephen...@gmail.com> [12-08-11 18:33]:
>> With Google+ and sharing support. No official support for Linux. See
>> http://goo.gl/qkvAJ for more information.[image: Picasa3.9.png]
>
> dl and tried to install via wine w/o success ....
>
> guess that's the end of *nix compatibility.....

Still happy here with 3.0. Real shame when feeding hands get bitten.

Google+ sucks badly. Only a few net-friends (mostly the guy who
actually works at google) have joined. The only real reason for joining
is that it grants you virtually unlimited photo storage on picasaweb.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's important to never be arrogant. Especially if you're one

gummih

Dec 9, 2011, 7:03:06 AM12/9/11
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I'm using Linux, I have Picasa 3.8 managing roughly 400 GBs of photos
(but not everything works) I hate it that I'm part of your Windows
users demographic since I download the windows version of 3.8 for my
computers.

I have purchased extra storage but I'm not going to be using a web
only managing setup anywhere in the near future

Hopefully you'll reconsider your no-more-linux strategy for Picasa - I
find it kind of pathetic when considering your Android users (me being
one of them)

-gummih

On Dec 8, 11:33 pm, Stephen <stephen.d.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With Google+ and sharing support. No official support for Linux. Seehttp://goo.gl/qkvAJfor more information.[image: Picasa3.9.png]
>
> --
>
>  Picasa3.9.png
> 486KViewDownload

Stephen

Dec 9, 2011, 9:11:14 AM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Real Bev if Google sucks so much don't use the free tools. No one is forcing you! Really comments like that don't help any.

Martin Rix

Dec 9, 2011, 9:11:57 AM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Well I've just installed it through Wine (Which is all the "Linux Version" was before).  Had Wine installed before, no previous Picasa install.

• Crashed on first load, opened again and it worked
• Can't sign into Google,
• Upload messages refer to PWA rather than Google+,
• The About screen says "Picasa 3.9.0 (Build 135.7800.00) for Linux" "Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Google Inc"
• New editing features and side-by-side editing seem to work

Ubuntu 11.10, Wine 1.3.34, WineTricks installed

Stephen

Dec 9, 2011, 9:17:26 AM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Actually a guy on G+ has got it running. See this thread; http://goo.gl/7hmxu

mhenriday

Dec 9, 2011, 11:31:05 AM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, I saw the same discouraging window when I launched http://picasa.google.com, but I had no problem downloading the Picasa 3.9 installation file from OldApps.com and then, after allowing the file to be run as a program via «Properties» → «Rights», opening it in Wine. From what Google has to say on the matter, the issue here seems to be that of enhancing Google+, rather than providing added functionality to Picasa. But I must admit that I am glad to see any Picasa update, it's been so long since that happened that my impression was that Picasa would be deprecated in favour of Picknik !...

Henri

Stephen

Dec 9, 2011, 12:30:19 PM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Gawd I dislike Picnic so much.

BTW Henri, could you kindly provide an URL to that download on OldApps.com? Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM, mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Patrick, I saw the same discouraging window when I launched http://picasa.google.com, but I had no problem downloading the Picasa 3.9 installation file from OldApps.com and then, after allowing the file to be run as a program via «Properties» → «Rights», opening it in Wine. From what Google has to say on the matter, the issue here seems to be that of enhancing Google+, rather than providing added functionality to Picasa. But I must admit that I am glad to see any Picasa update, it's been so long since that happened that my impression was that Picasa would be deprecated in favour of Picknik !...

Henri

B97.gif

mhenriday

Dec 9, 2011, 1:13:48 PM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Here's the URL, Stephen : http://www.oldapps.com/picasa.php?old_picasa=7003. Didn't the link I forwarded in my previous posting work ?...

In any event, I'm very happy to have been proved wrong in my supposition that Picasa 3.8 would be the last version released, but I'm still afraid that Google is heading inexorably towards Picnik....

Henri

Costalfy

Dec 9, 2011, 5:19:46 AM12/9/11
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Windows and Mac 3.9 version aviable for download... but where's the
GNU/Linux version???

On 9 déc, 00:33, Stephen <stephen.d.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With Google+ and sharing support. No official support for Linux. Seehttp://goo.gl/qkvAJfor more information.[image: Picasa3.9.png]
>
> --
>
>  Picasa3.9.png
> 486KAfficherTélécharger

mhenriday

Dec 9, 2011, 2:13:09 PM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

I see the same sort of thing on 32-bit Natty with the latest version 1.3.34 of Wine installed. The Picasa Web Albums button at the top left of the Picasa Window has been replaced by a «Log in with your Google account» button, but clicking the latter doesn't produce any results. The «Upload» button in 3.8 has been replaced by a «Share» button, but clicking this opens the same ineffectual «Log into Google» window noted above. For my purposes 3.8 is a far better version, at least on Ubuntu ; I haven't gotten round to testing 3.9 on Windows....

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Dec 9, 2011, 6:06:39 PM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Stephen <stephen...@gmail.com> [12-09-11 09:13]:

> Real Bev if Google sucks so much don't use the free tools. No one is
> forcing you! Really comments like that don't help any.

plus the fact that this list is probably *never* seen by google/picasa
people, code writers, ....

The Real Bev

Dec 9, 2011, 6:06:56 PM12/9/11
On 12/09/2011 06:11 AM, Stephen wrote:

> Real Bev if Google sucks so much don't use the free tools. No one is
> forcing you! Really comments like that don't help any.

If you're going to chew me out, at least quote MY post, not his.

--
Cheers, Bev
Bluetooth is especially problematic in San Francisco, because it

The Real Bev

Dec 9, 2011, 6:10:16 PM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

> * Stephen<stephen...@gmail.com> [12-09-11 09:13]:
>> Real Bev if Google sucks so much don't use the free tools. No one is
>> forcing you! Really comments like that don't help any.
>
> plus the fact that this list is probably *never* seen by google/picasa
> people, code writers, ....

Look, I can't see my own posts here. No, I don't know why. Just what
did I say that pissed you guys off?

And why did Stephen bitch at me while quoting someone else's post.

Are we not allowed to criticize something just because it's free?

Patrick Shanahan

Dec 9, 2011, 6:13:59 PM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [12-09-11 18:10]:

> On 12/09/2011 03:06 PM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>
> >* Stephen<stephen...@gmail.com> [12-09-11 09:13]:
> >> Real Bev if Google sucks so much don't use the free tools. No one is
> >> forcing you! Really comments like that don't help any.
> >
> >plus the fact that this list is probably *never* seen by google/picasa
> >people, code writers, ....
>
> Look, I can't see my own posts here. No, I don't know why. Just
> what did I say that pissed you guys off?
>
> And why did Stephen bitch at me while quoting someone else's post.

I believe that was a mis-quote, s/b ??gummin

> Are we not allowed to criticize something just because it's free?

certainly, my response was "criticism"? It was directed to content, not
person....

Patrick Shanahan

Dec 9, 2011, 6:48:12 PM12/9/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Martin Rix <mrr...@gmail.com> [12-09-11 13:44]:

I have succeeded in installing 3.9 by directing the install to a new
directory rather than overwriting/updateing 3.8.

Starts ok.
Attempting to log-in to "Google Account" provides a blank window

otherwise much the same with different tab selection of editing
operations.

only spent a few minutes "playing".

Stephen

Dec 10, 2011, 12:55:36 AM12/10/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Mihai Capotă

Dec 14, 2011, 10:58:17 AM12/14/11
On Dec 9, 12:33 am, Stephen <stephen.d.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With Google+ and sharing support. No official support for Linux. Seehttp://goo.gl/qkvAJfor more information.[image: Picasa3.9.png]

Unfortunately, according to Google employee Brian Rose, it's not going
to work because Google switched to OAuth authentication in Picasa 3.9
and the implementation they use is not supported in Wine:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Picasa/thread?tid=1c3f770cc876aeb9&fid=1c3f770cc876aeb90004b3eaa15d2dfe&hltp=2

Maybe Wine will support it in the future though. I couldn't find a bug
related to it, though.

Stephen

Dec 14, 2011, 2:12:43 PM12/14/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads-up Mihai

dentdavi

Dec 15, 2011, 12:39:36 PM12/15/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
It is interesting to note that google has made billions of dollars using linux and has even made their own linux distributions, but they won't support linux users by making some of their best products - like picasa - work on linux.  The argument, of course is that not enough people use linux to make it worthwhile.  The reason more people   don't use linux is because they don't have software - like picasa.  So the Catch 22 is that more people won't and can't use linux because companies like google will use it and benefit from all of the free development that has gone into it, but choose to only give back a little to the community.

Stephen

Dec 15, 2011, 1:37:24 PM12/15/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
You're preaching to the choir.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM, dentdavi <dent...@isu.edu> wrote:
It is interesting to note that google has made billions of dollars using linux and has even made their own linux distributions, but they won't support linux users by making some of their best products - like picasa - work on linux.  The argument, of course is that not enough people use linux to make it worthwhile.  The reason more people   don't use linux is because they don't have software - like picasa.  So the Catch 22 is that more people won't and can't use linux because companies like google will use it and benefit from all of the free development that has gone into it, but choose to only give back a little to the community.

333.gif

Dave Smith

Dec 18, 2011, 1:37:40 AM12/18/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
So does anyone know for sure if Google has stopped all development of Picasa for Linux?  If that's the case, it totally sucks!  And, if that is the case, what's the best way to sync local folders with our online Picasa/Google+ account?  I've been trying to just add the photos manually by dragging and dropping new photos into their online folders, but with Google+ now handling the photos I'm starting to lose track of what isn't/is uploaded and I'm getting a lot of duplicates (side note: why doesn't Google just run a check to see if the photo is already there?).  I actually buy storage space from Google but if they're not going to support Linux, then I'll just go elsewhere.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?  Ubuntu One, Amazon, Dropbox, etc...  I'm really just looking a good way to keep local folders automatically synced to an online storage account, and the photos need to be view-able online (not by download only).

Thanks!

P.S.  Google, not supporting Linux really is a d-bag move on your part...

Garthhh

Dec 18, 2011, 10:20:27 AM12/18/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
I'm using 3.0 & G+ sync works fine
other than the occasional dysfunction when I'm not signed into the same account on webalbum & picasa

angela...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2011, 10:58:36 AM12/18/11
Garth wrote:
"I'm using 3.0 & G+ sync works fine other than the occasional dysfunction when I'm not signed into the same account on webalbum & picasa"

Picasa 3.0 Beta for Linux was released on September 2008.
http://googlephotos.blogspot.com/
It was probably to appease Linux users. Their new version 3.9 does not support Linux user. Is provably a "Micro" thing. 8-|
Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile

The Real Bev

Dec 18, 2011, 11:35:23 PM12/18/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

G+ just makes everything more difficult. It's the price we pay for
virtually unlimited storage as long as our photos are smaller than
whatever-the-maximum-size is.

--
Cheers, Bev
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a

mhenriday

Dec 19, 2011, 10:16:57 AM12/19/11
Den söndagen den 18:e december 2011 kl. 16:20:27 UTC+1 skrev Garthhh:
I'm using 3.0 & G+ sync works fine
other than the occasional dysfunction when I'm not signed into the same account on webalbum & picasa

Garthhh, what do you mean by «works fine» ? I've had to go back to 3.8 in order to perform such elementary tasks as uploading to a web album. Do you know of any work-arounds which would permit one to use 3.9 instead ?...

Henri

Dave Smith

Dec 20, 2011, 1:01:00 AM12/20/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
G+ is making everything a bit more difficult.  I really like the service, but there are some real headaches associated in trying to work with essentially 2 separate but not completely separate photo storage options.  I think we're just going to have to give Google some time to work this all together.  I'm sure they'll get that done, but they really need to release a proper version of Picasa for Linux.  This would be so much easier if we just had the right tools.  I, for one, am pretty disappointed in Google over this whole Picasa thing.  They normally treat Linux users a lot better than this...

Garthhh

Dec 20, 2011, 8:23:43 AM12/20/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
what are the must have features that 3.9 has, that 3.0 doesn't?
I don't have to have the latest & greatest
I remember a while back you couldn't push pics from picasa to the webalbums, you had to pull from the webalbum

I have some other fallbacks
a dualboot with XP on a separate HDD
a virtualbox with XP [& to testdrive different distro's]

if you have made the choice to use linux, part of that bargain is you sometimes have to mess around tp get app's to work
it's just the nature of the beast

for many features, all distro's aren't created equal, the demise of gnome2 & other stuff is pushing me [& many others away from ubuntu]
I think the Redhat side of the street is probably more stable,
mageia is where I'm heading, for my day to day,
no real hurry, there are still updates for ubun 10.10 for a few more months

I'm wondering if I can get the chrome OS working on one of my beater PC's as a email/surfing/pics box
:D

Stephen

Dec 20, 2011, 8:37:24 AM12/20/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
You're kidding right? Redhat's community distribution, Fedora, is hardly a stable platform. You could pick many other  distributions if you want stability. Fedora is Red Hat's development platform, it breaks often and on purpose I might add. That's the nature of a development platform.

Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell is here to stay. However you don't need to use those Desktop Environments on any distribution. So why switch, just use a different destop window manager!

Garthhh

Dec 21, 2011, 5:39:12 AM12/21/11
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Centos or scientific linux would would be stable community versions of RH...
it appears that gnome derives significant support from RH proper, G2 is around until at least 2017

mhenriday

Jan 3, 2012, 11:29:20 AM1/3/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

The good folks - in this case, Andrew - at Web UPd8 have just published a workaround which enables one to log in with one's Google account when running Picasa 3.9 in Wine. Mirabile dictu, it involves installing IE6 (sic !) in Wine. The workaround doesn't always work perfectly - see my comment (no 8) on the thread, but it still represents a great step forward for Linux users who want to manage their photos with the latest Picasa tools....

Henri

Stephen

Jan 3, 2012, 11:32:49 AM1/3/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
So then it would probably work with a gecko client too. Not sure I like the workaround but at least there is one for those that care. :)

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 3, 2012, 12:08:37 PM1/3/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-03-12 11:29]:
> The good folks - in this case, Andrew - at *Web UPd8* have just published a
> *workaround*<http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-picasa-39-in-linux-and-fix.html>which enables one to log in with one's Google account when running Picasa
> 3.9 in Wine. *Mirabile dictu*, it involves installing IE6 (*sic !*) in
> Wine. The workaround doesn't always work perfectly - see my comment (no 8)
> on the thread, but it still represents a great step forward for Linux users
> who want to manage their photos with the latest Picasa tools....

Is ie6 the *only* solution, ie: ie7.

I find ie6 for my computer:

This package does not work on a 64-bit installation

:^(

mhenriday

Jan 3, 2012, 12:46:11 PM1/3/12

Den tisdagen den 3:e januari 2012 kl. 18:08:37 UTC+1 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-03-12 11:29]:
> The good folks - in this case, Andrew - at *Web UPd8* have just published a
> *workaround*<http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-picasa-39-in-linux-and-fix.html>which enables one to log in with one's Google account when running Picasa
> 3.9 in Wine. *Mirabile dictu*, it involves installing IE6 (*sic !*) in
> Wine. The workaround doesn't always work perfectly - see my comment (no 8)
> on the thread, but it still represents a great step forward for Linux users
> who want to manage their photos with the latest Picasa tools....

Is ie6 the *only* solution, ie: ie7.

I find ie6 for my computer:

This package does not work on a 64-bit installation

:^(

 Patrick, mine is a 64-bit installation of Ubuntu 11.04, and the workaround works fine (with the exception mentioned in my comment on the Web Upd8 thread) there....

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 3, 2012, 4:23:24 PM1/3/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-03-12 12:47]:

> Den tisdagen den 3:e januari 2012 kl. 18:08:37 UTC+1 skrev
> ptilo...@gmail.com:
> > Is ie6 the *only* solution, ie: ie7.
> >
> > I find ie6 for my computer:

> > This package does not work on a 64-bit installation
> >
> > :^(
> >
> Patrick, mine is a 64-bit installation of Ubuntu 11.04, and the workaround
> works fine (with the exception mentioned in my comment on the Web Upd8
> thread) there....

Tried again with latest winetricks and same result. I can and did install
ie7 but that does not work. May try logging into plus and trying again..

tks,

mhenriday

Jan 3, 2012, 4:32:58 PM1/3/12
Den tisdagen den 3:e januari 2012 kl. 22:23:24 UTC+1 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-03-12 12:47]:

> Den tisdagen den 3:e januari 2012 kl. 18:08:37 UTC+1 skrev
> ptil...@gmail.com:

> > Is ie6 the *only* solution, ie: ie7.
> >
> > I find ie6 for my computer:

> > This package does not work on a 64-bit installation
> >
> > :^(
> >
>  Patrick, mine is a 64-bit installation of Ubuntu 11.04, and the workaround
> works fine (with the exception mentioned in my comment on the Web Upd8
> thread) there....

Tried again with latest winetricks and same result.  I can and did install
ie7 but that does not work.  May try logging into plus and trying again..

tks,
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Patrick, you might want to consider posting to the Web Upd8-thread to which I provide a link above, to see if someone there can help you sort out the problem....

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 3, 2012, 4:41:31 PM1/3/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-03-12 16:33]:

> Patrick, you might want to consider posting to the Web Upd8-thread to which
> I provide a link above, to see if someone there can help you sort out the
> problem....

I will try that, but not going to loose sleep :^)

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 4, 2012, 2:26:43 PM1/4/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com> [01-03-12 16:43]:

> * mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-03-12 16:33]:
> >
> > Patrick, you might want to consider posting to the Web Upd8-thread to which
> > I provide a link above, to see if someone there can help you sort out the
> > problem....
> >

> I will try that, but not going to loose sleep :^)

after all fails... :^)

ok, solved my problems with picasa39
can login to google+
      upload photos
      make new albums
      face recognition works

removed previous wine directories completely

ran:
env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks
env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks ie6
env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

and it all came together
took all of 10 minutes  :^)

Everything that I have tried, just works

mhenriday

Jan 4, 2012, 2:43:11 PM1/4/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Splendid ! I suspect that if I were to remove all the current Wine directories on my Ubuntu build as you did on your Arch build and then re-install them according to the instructions provided by Andrew in the Web Upd8, my problem would also be resolved....

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 4, 2012, 6:19:05 PM1/4/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-04-12 14:45]:

> Splendid ! I suspect that if I were to remove all the current Wine
> directories on my Ubuntu build as you did on your Arch build and then
> re-install them according to the instructions provided by Andrew in the Web
> Upd8, my problem would also be resolved....

I didn't quite follow, but nearly....
And openSUSE 12.1 x86_64, not Arch.

but everything that I have tried works, including face which I seem to
recall someone said didn't work on 3.9

Stephen

Jan 5, 2012, 8:32:26 AM1/5/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Bravo, Patrick. When I have some time to play I may try doing similar on Debian, Maybe .... I'm  satisfied with the satus quo.

mhenriday

Jan 5, 2012, 9:02:03 AM1/5/12
Den torsdagen den 5:e januari 2012 kl. 14:32:26 UTC+1 skrev Stephen Allen:
Bravo, Patrick. When I have some time to play I may try doing similar on Debian, Maybe .... I'm  satisfied with the satus quo.

Well, Stephen, when and if you do become dissatisfied with the status quo, please post back here with the results ! If the procedure described by Patrick works on your Debian build, I'll know it's worthwhile for me to try it on my Ubuntu !...

Henri

Stephen

Jan 5, 2012, 9:08:02 AM1/5/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
OK Henri.  Fair warning though, you may grow old and weak waiting on moi. ;)

mhenriday

Jan 5, 2012, 9:22:43 AM1/5/12

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM, mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Den torsdagen den 5:e januari 2012 kl. 14:32:26 UTC+1 skrev Stephen Allen:
Bravo, Patrick. When I have some time to play I may try doing similar on Debian, Maybe .... I'm  satisfied with the satus quo.

Well, Stephen, when and if you do become dissatisfied with the status quo, please post back here with the results ! If the procedure described by Patrick works on your Debian build, I'll know it's worthwhile for me to try it on my Ubuntu !...

Henri

If I try it first, Stephen, I promise to post here and let you know....

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 5, 2012, 11:00:43 AM1/5/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-05-12 09:23]:

> >> Well, Stephen, when and if you do become dissatisfied with the status
> >> quo, please post back here with the results ! If the procedure described by
> >> Patrick works on your Debian build, I'll know it's worthwhile for me to try
> >> it on my Ubuntu !...

Well, it's simple enough to try w/o loosing anything.

move your current wine directory, the one which you have picasa and ie6 to
another location w/o advising wine:
mv ~/.wine ~/.wineXX

follow my previous instructions

If everything works ok, you can delete ~/.wineXX and move on. If not,
just delete ~/.wine and
mv ~/.wineXX ~/.wine

Of course, if you have many windoz apps installed (I don't), success of
the new picasa entails a lot of other ?work?.

gud luk,

Denis Arnaud

Jan 6, 2012, 11:26:39 AM1/6/12
On Jan 4, 8:26 pm, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After removing (moving out of the way) previous wine directories completely
>
> ran:
> env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks
> env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks ie6
> env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

It worked for me on Fedora 16 64bits. So, congratulations!

I had to adapt a little bit a few things. First, winetricks is not
packaged/available on Fedora, so you have to install it. You have to
do something like:
mkdir -p ~/bin
cd ~/bin
wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
chmod 755 winetricks
export PATH=${HOME}/bin:${PATH}

and then proceed with the instructions of Patrick.
For the installation of IE6, I did it from the WineTricks graphical
interface, choosing the "Install an app" option, and then selecting
"IE6".

The only thing I am not able to do with Picasa (but I never was able
to do it before!) is "Locate on disk" for any picture. Picasa tells me
that the explorer is not installed, or something like that. If you get
ideas, do not hesitate...

Kind regards

Denis

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 7, 2012, 12:06:22 AM1/7/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Denis Arnaud <denis....@gmail.com> [01-06-12 12:59]:

> It worked for me on Fedora 16 64bits. So, congratulations!
>
> I had to adapt a little bit a few things. First, winetricks is not
> packaged/available on Fedora, so you have to install it. You have to
> do something like:
> mkdir -p ~/bin
> cd ~/bin
> wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
> chmod 755 winetricks
> export PATH=${HOME}/bin:${PATH}
>
> and then proceed with the instructions of Patrick.
> For the installation of IE6, I did it from the WineTricks graphical
> interface, choosing the "Install an app" option, and then selecting
> "IE6".
>
> The only thing I am not able to do with Picasa (but I never was able
> to do it before!) is "Locate on disk" for any picture. Picasa tells me
> that the explorer is not installed, or something like that. If you get
> ideas, do not hesitate...

Don't know for sure, but exploder finds the files for me. You might have
installed ie3 into a different .wine bucket it you didn't define it on the
command line or via the goouieiiee app :^)

I removed *all* my .wine buckets and repopulated *only* one, ~/.wine

helpdeskdan

Jan 9, 2012, 8:06:19 PM1/9/12
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Thanks for the ideas. I installed into a new wineprefix both ie6 and
picasa then launched via simple bash script to export wineprefix.
Seems to work well, no need to remove other prefixes but your mileage
may vary. High CPU utilization though, the same I see when using ie6,
and not present in 3.0. Too bad, anybody else have that?

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 9, 2012, 8:56:43 PM1/9/12
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* helpdeskdan <helpd...@gmail.com> [01-09-12 20:15]:

Picasa idling, I see 7-9% in 1 of 12 cpu's

I have no use for ie6 past allowing picasa to log into google+.

I wouldn't call that *high*.

Message has been deleted

gummih

Jan 10, 2012, 7:22:00 AM1/10/12
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
1. I assume this comment was directed to me and not Bev

2. Like I said before I am paying for my use of picasa webalbums so
your "free" gripe is wasted.

3. I also never said Google sucks. I said their "no-more-linux"
strategy for Picasa was pathetic.

4. It may be true that my comment did not help you, but some
developers may find feedback from their users helpful

-gummih

On Dec 9 2011, 2:11 pm, Stephen <stephen.d.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Real Bev if Google sucks so much don't use the free tools. No one is
> forcing you! Really comments like that don't help any.
>

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 7:03 AM, gummih <gum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm using Linux, I have Picasa 3.8 managing roughly 400 GBs of photos
> > (but not everything works) I hate it that I'm part of your Windows
> > users demographic since I download the windows version of 3.8 for my
> > computers.
>
> > I have purchased extra storage but I'm not going to be using a web
> > only managing setup anywhere in the near future
>
> > Hopefully you'll reconsider your no-more-linux strategy for Picasa - I
> > find it kind of pathetic when considering your Android users (me being
> > one of them)
>
> > -gummih
>
> > On Dec 8, 11:33 pm, Stephen <stephen.d.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > With Google+ and sharing support. No official support for Linux.
> > Seehttp://goo.gl/qkvAJformore information.[image: Picasa3.9.png]
>
> > > --
>
> > >  Picasa3.9.png
> > > 486KViewDownload
>
> > --
> > "Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux" group.

Stephen

Jan 10, 2012, 7:52:25 AM1/10/12
On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 04:22 -0800, gummih wrote:
1. I assume this comment was directed to me and not Bev

Uh No it wasn't directed at you and you know what is said about ass-umptions.

helpdeskdan

Jan 10, 2012, 1:42:47 PM1/10/12
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I take it back - does it with or without installing ie. Spawns this
process after adding a large quantity of pictures, long after it is
finished indexing. 3.0 doesn't do this.

dan@dan-desktop:~$ ps 6232
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
6232 pts/1 Sl+ 0:04 8 56539600

Keeps show up with a different pid, same process, using varying
amounts of CPU. Very strange, does not go away till I quit picasa.
Granted, I am running old Ubuntu LTS 10.04, also issues with sound/
alsa - had to run winecfg & set sound manually or it crashed every
time I tried the folder manager. (Sound hopelessly broken, going to
have to downgrade to play games, but that is not relevant to Picasa)
These results may only occur for those running LTS and winehq repo so
take them for what they are worth.

Seeing as how nobody else is having the issue, I'll try downgrading to
stable 1.2 and stop posting.

helpdeskdan

Jan 12, 2012, 11:56:57 PM1/12/12
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Face recognition. Turn it off, CPU goes down. Foolish of me.

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 11:24:29 AM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com> [01-04-12 14:27]:

> ok, solved my problems with picasa39
> can login to google+
>       upload photos
>       make new albums
>       face recognition works
>
> removed previous wine directories completely
>
> ran:
> env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks
> env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks ie6
> env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exe
>
> and it all came together
> took all of 10 minutes  :^)
>
> Everything that I have tried, just works

There is a newer issue of picasa39, "136.1200" available. These
instructions still work, but removes your entire picasa database requiring
a rescan of your computer's attached drives, including nfs...

signing in to google+ works
sharing to google+ is active and works
accessing them from picasa does not, winebrowser faults ???
facial recog is active and working

To install into the present ~/.wine:
env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks
select CANCEL on winetricks window
wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

and it is not necessary to rebuild picasa database
all functions reported above appear to work the same

mhenriday

Jan 6, 2013, 12:46:52 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

Hullo, Patrick,

How do these instructions translate for someone who is running Ubuntu 12.04 rather than Arch Linux ? I have version 3.9.0 (Programversion 136.0400, 0) Picasa for Linux installed under Home/.wine/drive_c/Program_Files_(x86)/Google/Picasa3, as seen here :

Should I uninstall wine (1.4-0ubuntu4.1) completely or merely some or all of the underlying directories (dosdevices and drive_c, respectively) ? And how do the three Arch commands that you mention above translate to Ubuntu commands ? Hope you don't mind my appealing to your good will - I'd really like to be able to log into my Google account from Picasa on Ubuntu, instead of having to boot into Windows !...

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 2:29:55 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 12:47]:
> ptilo...@gmail.com:

> > > removed previous wine directories completely
> > >
> > > ran:
> > > env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks
> > > env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks ie6
> > > env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exe
> > >
> > > and it all came together
> > > took all of 10 minutes :^)
> > >
> > > Everything that I have tried, just works
> >
> > There is a newer issue of picasa39, "136.1200" available. These
> > instructions still work, but removes your entire picasa database requiring
> > a rescan of your computer's attached drives, including nfs...
> >
> > signing in to google+ works
> > sharing to google+ is active and works
> > accessing them from picasa does not, winebrowser faults ???
> > facial recog is active and working
> >

> > To install into the present ~/.wine:
> > env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks
> > select CANCEL on winetricks window
> > wine ./picasa39-setup.exe
> >
> > and it is not necessary to rebuild picasa database
> > all functions reported above appear to work the same
> >

> How do these instructions translate for someone who is running Ubuntu 12.04
> rather than Arch Linux ? I have version 3.9.0 (Programversion 136.0400, 0)
> Picasa for Linux installed under
> Home/.wine/drive_c/Program_Files_(x86)/Google/Picasa3, as seen here :
>
> <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/GWgWLvPcf0YXEKciRL3-UqB2oyCeq48rckdD39dCfk-PvtjJcgxE2qF5ifYSMSbYRQ=s1600>

your link is not public :^(

Following incorporates safety measures which *should* preclude any data
lose.

You should be able to follow exactly:
copy/move picasa39-setup.exe to your <home> direcory
open an xterm window in your <home> and run as <user>:
mv ~/.wine ~/.wineXX
env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks
env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks ie3
env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

and, if no major problems, try it out.
warning: picasa will scan your entire box. Either kill it or limit the
scan.

If you have no problems, ie: picasa works, try to upgrade your present
picasa w/o loosing your working old system or working new system, do:
open an xterm window in your <home> and run as <user>:
mv ~/.wine ~/.wineXXnew
cp ~/.wineXX ~/.wine
env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

If you experience problems/errors and want your original system back:
open an xterm window in your <home> and run as <user>:
rm -rf ~/.wine
mv ~/.wineXX ~/.wine

or

Seeing no major errors, try it out. If picasa works and you are satisfied
with the setting, you can remove the extra ~/.wine{XX,XXnew} directories:
open an xterm window in your <home> and run as <user>:
rm -rf ~/.wineXX ~/.wineXXnew

> Should I uninstall wine (1.4-0ubuntu4.1) completely or merely some or all
> of the underlying directories (dosdevices and drive_c, respectively) ? And
> how do the three Arch commands that you mention above translate to Ubuntu
> commands ? Hope you don't mind my appealing to your good will - I'd really
> like to be able to log into my Google account from Picasa on Ubuntu,
> instead of having to boot into Windows !...

No, DO NOT uninstall wine or .... The instructions I provided above
*should* save your present system as is and allow testing a *new*
installation and, if that works, an upgrade of your present system. And
still allow you to return to what you started with before today in case
something is not as you want or doesn't work.

disclaimer: I worked for me as tested and presented. But you *must*
follow the instructions, do not deviate.

I am watching US-NFL Playoffs but will watch this list if you need help.
If you see problems, stop and ask. We want to be sure that you can
recover your setup.

gud luk,

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 2:43:12 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 12:47]:

> How do these instructions translate for someone who is running Ubuntu 12.04
> rather than Arch Linux ?

ps: I run openSUSE, never Arch, but did run Slackware a looong time ago,
floppy disks and 2400 baud modems (or less). I had already trashed my
acoustic modems.

mhenriday

Jan 6, 2013, 2:57:34 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

First command, no problem. With the second command, however, I got the following :

Executing w_do_call ie3
Executing load_ie3
This is for debugging purposes only, DO NOT INSTALL.
Setting Windows version to win95
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_ie3\set-winver.reg
Executing mkdir -p /home/mhenriday/.cache/winetricks/ie3
Downloading http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/browsers.evolt.org/browsers/ie/win32/3.02/win95full/msie302m95.exe to /home/mhenriday/.cache/winetricks/ie3
Initializing download: http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/browsers.evolt.org/browsers/ie/win32/3.02/win95full/msie302m95.exe
File size: 11101184 bytes
Opening output file msie302m95.exe
Starting download

Downloaded 10,6 megabytes in 1 second. (6498,43 KB/s)
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_ie3\override-dll.reg
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
fixme:setupapi:SETUPX_CreateStandardLDDs LDID_SRCPATH: what exactly do we have to do here ?
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:extract_cabinet_file awful hack: extracting cabinet "C:\\users\\mhenriday\\Temp\\IXP000.TMP\\IEXPLORE.CAB"
fixme:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA notification 262144 params 33f0c0,0
[...]
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x1da0, 0705, 0000, 00000000, 0042eb02) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x1da0, 070f, 0000, 00000000, 0042eb02) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x1da0, 0710, 0000, 00000000, 0042eb02) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x1da0, 070b, 0000, 00000000, 0042eb02) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x1da0, 070c, 0000, 00000000, 0042eb02) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW copy error 3 L"C:\\users\\mhenriday\\Temp\\MSEbc21.tmp\\0\\icwscrpt.exe" -> L"C:\\windows\\system32\\icwscrpt.exe"
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
mhenriday@mhenriday-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ fixme:crypt:I_CryptInstallOssGlobal 5ee0a3b8 00000000 00000000, return value 9
wine: Call from 0x7b839cf2 to unimplemented function shdocvw.dll.InstallReg_RunDLL, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function shdocvw.dll.InstallReg_RunDLL called at address 0x7b839cf2 (thread 0036), starting debugger...
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
fixme:ole:DllRegisterServer stub
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"grpconv.exe -o" (2)

which didn't exactly make me happy, but I decided to try launching the third command anyway, with the following result :

mhenriday@mhenriday-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exeenv: ./picasa39-setup.exe: Åtkomst nekas [i e, access denied]
mhenriday@mhenriday-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ sudo env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine ./picasa39-setup.exe
[sudo] password for mhenriday:
env: ./picasa39-setup.exe: Åtkomst nekas

Back to the drawing board ! Hope the game is going better than my attempt to fix Picasa !...

Henri

mhenriday

Jan 6, 2013, 3:04:05 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
PS : Perhaps I should mention that I'm running 64-bit 12.04 - could this cause problems with that 32-bit WINEARCH command (which, incidentally, is the reason I always think you're running Arch, rather than Open Suse) ?...

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 3:17:07 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 14:58]:

[...]
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna
> delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
> err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"grpconv.exe -o" (2)
>
> which didn't exactly make me happy, but I decided to try launching the
> third command anyway, with the following result :
>
> mhenriday@mhenriday-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
> ./picasa39-setup.exeenv: ./picasa39-setup.exe: Åtkomst nekas [i e, access
> denied]
> mhenriday@mhenriday-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ sudo env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
> ./picasa39-setup.exe
> [sudo] password for mhenriday:
> env: ./picasa39-setup.exe: Åtkomst nekas

question: where did "[sudo]" come from? You should be running everything
as <user>, ?? mhenriday

Run thru again and after the second command, finish with
wine ./picasa39-setup.exe
rather than
env WINEPR....

> Back to the drawing board ! Hope the game is going better than my attempt
> to fix Picasa !...

not good, but not bad either.

watching:

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 3:18:41 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 15:04]:
> PS : Perhaps I should mention that I'm running 64-bit 12.04 - could this
> cause problems with that 32-bit WINEARCH command (which, incidentally, is
> the reason I always think you're running Arch, rather than Open Suse) ?...

no, I am running 64-bit on intel i7, 12 processor 12gb mem, 4 Tet drive
space.....

mhenriday

Jan 6, 2013, 3:31:47 PM1/6/13
Den söndagen den 6:e januari 2013 kl. 21:17:07 UTC+1 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 14:58]:

 [...]
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: kan inte öppna
> delad objektfil: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
> err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"grpconv.exe -o" (2)
>
> which didn't exactly make me happy, but I decided to try launching the
> third command anyway, with the following result :
>
> mhenriday@mhenriday-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
> ./picasa39-setup.exeenv: ./picasa39-setup.exe: Åtkomst nekas [i e, access
> denied]
> mhenriday@mhenriday-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ sudo env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
> ./picasa39-setup.exe
> [sudo] password for mhenriday:
> env: ./picasa39-setup.exe: Åtkomst nekas

question:  where did "[sudo]" come from?  You should be running everything
as <user>, ?? mhenriday

If you look at the two commands, you'll notice that they are exactly the same, save for the fact that the second time around I tried «sudo», as it often provides access when that first has been denied....

Run thru again and after the second command, finish with
  wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

After running the first command, a Winetricks menu appeared, both on this try and on the previous one, which asked me what I want to do and on which «Select the default wineprefix» wass pre-selected. The other alternatives were :

View help
Install an app
Install a benchmark
Install a game
Enable silent install
Show broken apps Ue.g. those with DRM problems)

Not knowing what to do, I have in both instances chosen to cancel - should I instead have chosen one of the alternatives described above ?...

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 3:40:39 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 15:33]:

> After running the *first* command, a Winetricks menu appeared, both on this
> try and on the previous one, which asked me what I want to do and on which
> «Select the default wineprefix» wass pre-selected. The other alternatives
> were :
>
> View help
> Install an app
> Install a benchmark
> Install a game
> Enable silent install
> Show broken apps Ue.g. those with DRM problems)
>
> Not knowing what to do, I have in both instances chosen to cancel - should
> I instead have chosen one of the alternatives described above ?...

choose "Cancel" is correct.

then run
wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 3:50:46 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 15:33]:

> If you look at the two commands, you'll notice that they are exactly the
> same, save for the fact that the second time around I tried «sudo», as it
> often provides access when that first has been denied....

ps: Wine runs in user-space, NEVER run as root. If access is denied,
there are other problems.

mhenriday

Jan 6, 2013, 3:52:31 PM1/6/13
Den söndagen den 6:e januari 2013 kl. 21:31:47 UTC+1 skrev mhenriday:
Den söndagen den 6:e januari 2013 kl. 21:17:07 UTC+1 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:

Run thru again and after the second command, finish with
  wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

After running the first command, a Winetricks menu appeared, both on this try and on the previous one, which asked me what I want to do and on which «Select the default wineprefix» wass pre-selected. The other alternatives were :

View help
Install an app
Install a benchmark
Install a game
Enable silent install
Show broken apps Ue.g. those with DRM problems)

Not knowing what to do, I have in both instances chosen to cancel - should I instead have chosen one of the alternatives described above ?...

No need to answer that query - after cancelling the Winetricks menu and then proceeding to the second command, the latter worked this time around, and when I changed the third command to «wine ./picasa39-setup.exe» and executed it, I got a new installation of (programversion 136.0200, 0) - I must have had a slightly earlier version in my home directory - and on that version I could log into my Google account. Success ! Now the question is whether I should download the latest and greatest (136.1200, 0) version and repeat the whole procedure, or whether there is a simple method which can be used to update. In any event, for this relief, much thanks !...

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 4:07:53 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 15:52]:
[...]
> No need to answer that query - after cancelling the Winetricks menu and
> then proceeding to the second command, the latter worked this time around,
> and when I changed the third command to «wine ./picasa39-setup.exe» and
> executed it, I got a new installation of (programversion 136.0200, 0) - I
> must have had a slightly earlier version in my home directory - and on that
> version I could log into my Google account. Success ! Now the question is
> whether I should download the latest and greatest (136.1200, 0) version and
> repeat the whole procedure, or whether there is a simple method which can
> be used to update. In any event, for this relief, much thanks !...

since now you know what to do and it isn't all that complicated, I would
go ahead and install the newer version. You can save the current ~/.wine
directory as described prior to return to if the newer version does not do
all you wish. No telling what was *fixed* in the later version, as google
does not provide changelogs.....

cu

mhenriday

Jan 6, 2013, 4:42:53 PM1/6/13

Den söndagen den 6:e januari 2013 kl. 22:07:53 UTC+1 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 15:52]:
 [...]
> No need to answer that query - after cancelling the Winetricks menu and
> then proceeding to the second command, the latter worked this time around,
> and when I changed the third command to «wine ./picasa39-setup.exe» and
> executed it, I got a new installation of (programversion 136.0200, 0) - I
> must have had a slightly earlier version in my home directory - and on that
> version I could log into my Google account. Success ! Now the question is
> whether I should download the latest and greatest (136.1200, 0) version and
> repeat the whole procedure, or whether there is a simple method which can
> be used to update. In any event, for this relief, much thanks !...

since now you know what to do and it isn't all that complicated, I would
go ahead and install the newer version.  You can save the current ~/.wine
directory as described prior to return to if the newer version does not do
all you wish.  No telling what was *fixed* in the later version, as google
does not provide changelogs.....

cu
Used «wget» to download the latest Picasa setup version, which I saved as «picasa39-setup.exe.1» to distinguis it from the earlier version and then inserted it into the current ~/.wine using the instructions in the first post. I had no problems logging into my Google account, but found, as you did, that I couldn't access my Google+ photos from Picasa (error message : Unhandled exception: unimplemented function urlmon.dll.CreateUri called in 32-bit code (0x7bc49f20). ...). But I can now use Picasa to send photos, which is of vastly greater use to me, so I'm quite satisfied....

Thanks very much for your help on this Patrick ! Hope and trust that you'll report back to this thread when and if the Google+ problem is resolved !

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 6, 2013, 5:49:58 PM1/6/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-06-13 16:44]:
[...]
> Thanks very much for your help on this Patrick ! Hope and trust that you'll
> report back to this thread when and if the Google+ problem is resolved !

Don't know that it will be, but it might as it appears to be a wine
problem rather than google-windoz-picasa-....

But it is easy to upload from picasa to google+ and to email from picasa.
Now if I just used it instead of playing with it. I tend to use BibblePro
which is now AfterShotPro since being sold to corel. It is very quick and
allows much more control. Picasa is just quick/easy for those
"you-really-don't-care" shots.

I tend to work 400-2000 shots per session and can work better than 4 in
AfterShotPro to 1 in Picasa in the same time. Picasa would be much easier
if key-combinations were provided for the different operations.

mhenriday

Jan 7, 2013, 2:53:02 AM1/7/13
Den söndagen den 6:e januari 2013 kl. 23:49:58 UTC+1 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:

Don't know that it will be, but it might as it appears to be a wine
problem rather than google-windoz-picasa-....

That would be nice....

But it is easy to upload from picasa to google+ and to email from picasa.
Now if I just used it instead of playing with it.  I tend to use BibblePro
which is now AfterShotPro since being sold to corel.  It is very quick and
allows much more control.  Picasa is just quick/easy for those
"you-really-don't-care" shots.

I tend to work 400-2000 shots per session and can work better than 4 in
AfterShotPro to 1 in Picasa in the same time.  Picasa would be much easier
if key-combinations were provided for the different operations.

Well, not being a professional photographer - and indeed, not even the most devoted hobby one - I suppose most of my work can be considered «you-really-don't-care shots». So Picasa suffices for my modest needs, especially now that the Google-account inloggings problem has been solved....

Henri

gummih

Jan 7, 2013, 5:20:54 AM1/7/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com, stephen...@gmail.com
Nice innuendo Stephen - in the future, if you are not addressing posts to me, then don't write them as replies to my posts.

Patrick Shanahan

Jan 7, 2013, 11:03:37 AM1/7/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* gummih <gum...@gmail.com> [01-07-13 05:21]:
Well, that certainly clears the air. I have laid awake since 10 Jan 2012
wondering when this would be clarified. But now I have it. tks,

mhenriday

Jan 7, 2013, 11:05:34 AM1/7/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com, stephen...@gmail.com

Come lads, let's cut each other some slack ! Getting current editions of Picasa to work properly on Linux distros is difficult enough (here it must be said that Patrick has done yeoman work !), without participants in the discussion taking offense at unfortunate turns of phrase which in most cases are likely to be inadvertent. If we can't all be friends, we can at least be civil....

Henri

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2013, 3:27:59 PM1/7/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Oh crap, now I have to go back and look at what I might have said that
might have engendered a comment that someone else might take offense
from....

Can't find anything useful. If I offended anyone, please accept my
apology.

As an aside -- we set up VirtualBox on slackware. I use windows xp in
it, and it even runs my canon scanner. It even runs faster than xp on
my real windows machine, which is maybe 9 years old. I haven't put
native windows picasa on it yet, but it's on the list. For things that
wine burps on it's perfect. I'm of two minds about putting turbo tax on
it rather than the real windows machine...

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's too bad stupidity isn't painful." - A. S. LaVey