Arabic numerals in Google Urdu input

Faisal

Jun 25, 2010, 6:43:13 AM6/25/10
to Google India Labs
Hi,

I am using Google Urdu input, overall an excellent tool.

However, when numbers (0-9) are keyed in, it gives Arabic numerals,
which are similar to but not the same as Urdu numerals.

In Arial Unicode MS font, Arabic numerals range from 0660 to 0669.
Urdu numerals range from 06F0 to 06F9.

Ideally, Google Urdu input should be connected to the proper Urdu
numerals.

I hope the developers of the tool can fix this issue.

Sincerely,

Syed Nahri

Suddhasheel Bharatiya GHOSH

Jun 25, 2010, 7:42:54 AM6/25/10
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
I agree ... if this has been done it is really careless.

Look at these images

http://www.inetdaemon.com/img/numerals_persian.gif
http://www.baumler.com/bimgs/numbers.jpg

The Urdu Script is closer to the Persian Script with a little modification.

2010/6/25 Faisal <sna...@gmail.com>

शुद्धशील भारतीय घोष
अनुसंधानकर्ता, भू-सूचना प्रभाग, सिविल प्रौद्योगिकी विभाग
भारतीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान कानपुर
कानपुर, भारत २०८०१६

Suddhasheel Bharatiya GHOSH
Researcher, Geoinformatics Division, Department of Civil Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Kanpur, India 208016

jitesh dundas

Jun 25, 2010, 11:00:51 AM6/25/10
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.I can't believe this..Have they missed out on the formats for
character representations..Hope they are working on the fix.

Also,there are issues in accuracy of google language detection & translation...

Nevertheless, the tools are good but need improvements.

Regards,
Jitesh Dundas

On 6/25/10, Suddhasheel Bharatiya GHOSH <suddh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree ... if this has been done it is really careless.
>
> Look at these images
>
> http://www.inetdaemon.com/img/numerals_persian.gif
> http://www.baumler.com/bimgs/numbers.jpg
>
> The Urdu Script is closer to the Persian Script with a little modification.
>

> 2010/6/25 Faisal <sna...@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using Google Urdu input, overall an excellent tool.
>>
>> However, when numbers (0-9) are keyed in, it gives Arabic numerals,
>> which are similar to but not the same as Urdu numerals.
>>
>> In Arial Unicode MS font, Arabic numerals range from 0660 to 0669.
>> Urdu numerals range from 06F0 to 06F9.
>>
>> Ideally, Google Urdu input should be connected to the proper Urdu
>> numerals.
>>
>> I hope the developers of the tool can fix this issue.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Syed Nahri
>>
>> --

>> google-india-l...@googlegroups.com<google-india-labs%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Syed Ahmed Faisal Nahri

Jun 25, 2010, 12:03:21 PM6/25/10
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
How can this be communicated to the google team responsible for this tool?

Syed

EmKay

Aug 24, 2010, 9:57:58 AM8/24/10
to Google India Labs

I recently posted about this and other issues with Google Urdu Input.

This problem is real, but there is a workaround of sorts. Install the
Google Farsi input tool and use it to type numbers (and switch back to
Urdu input for the rest).

jitesh dundas

Aug 24, 2010, 12:48:48 PM8/24/10
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Right with the reason being something about the character code
representation & its decoding by google on the inputs.

Thanks,
jd

EmKay

Aug 24, 2010, 1:30:38 PM8/24/10
to Google India Labs

On Aug 24, 9:48 am, jitesh dundas <jbdun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right with the reason being something about the character code
> representation & its decoding by google on  the inputs.

Err these phrases obfuscate things more.. I think the original posting
under this thread already states the problem fine. (Read it in context
of the whole thread - not isolated emails) thought it could use minor
improvement. It says "In Arial Unicode MS font" - something like "In
the Unicode specification" would be a better way of stating the
problem.

My posting in another thread describes some other interesting side-
effects of this problem. in Urdu Nastaliq fonts done by other people
(ie. not Microsoft - which doesn't ship in Nastaliq fonts). Since Urdu
tradition uses Nastaliq writing hence people passionate enough to use
Urdu on computers are more likely to download and use other
fonts(Nastaliq) with Urdu than with other languages where a native
font on platform alternative is usually considered good-enough.

jitesh dundas

Aug 24, 2010, 10:24:30 PM8/24/10
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks but things were not clear earlier in the posts.
Also,I was not sure about the character code representation that was
mentioned earlier here .
I don't know Urdu except about google tools so I guess people who know
that can answer better.

Thanks,
JD