Log In for a Facebook User with Gmail Email and Facebook password

gaurav sinha

Sep 9, 2014, 5:47:09 PM9/9/14
to google-iden...@googlegroups.com
I use my Google Email (gaura...@gmail.com) to log into Facebook.

I tried to log in to my website where I have implemented gitkitv3 login.
On clicking SIgnIn, when I enter this email in input box shown here, the account chooser directly takes me to Google Signin page; this means that I am not able to log in via Facebook password.

My Request/Suggestion: it would be great if I could show this page first to the user instead of the previous page.

Please correct me if I am doing some mistake or my understanding is wrong.

Derek Salama

Sep 9, 2014, 7:58:20 PM9/9/14
to google-iden...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guarav,

Thanks for your feedback. Identity Toolkit is working here as intended. What you are seeing is the result of two design decisions.

1) Prompting for the email before providing different login options.

From our user experience research, we've concluded that it helps to identify the user first. Once the user gives us their email, we know if they are a new user, an old id/password user, or have previously logged in with an Identity Provider. Our approach improves the UX because a user no longer has to remember how they've authenticated for your site on a previous visit.

2) Automatically redirecting @gmail account to Google sign-in.

Google sign-in provides what we call "fast email verification". With other Identity Providers, e.g. Facebook, the user has to give your app permission to view your email, even though you gave it to them before. In general, permissions are confusing to users, and it isn't always clear what access the app will have to their profile. Google sign-in doesn't require permissions for already public information, and therefore provides a better experience. We will provide this feature for other Identity Providers once they implement the same "fast email verification" protocol - something we are currently pushing as an industry standard.

You can see a bit more about both these topics in our I/O presentation.

I apologize if you disagree with this behavior, and would be happy to take this offline to hear more about your opinions here. Online identity is a hard problem - the current design of Identity Toolkit represents the best solution we've found thus far.

Derek Salama

Sep 9, 2014, 8:20:41 PM9/9/14
to google-iden...@googlegroups.com
One quick thing I forgot to mention before, regarding point 2:

After you've logged a user in using "fast email verification", it's easy to ask for incremental permissions to get personal information from Facebook, G+, etc. Separating log-in and additional permission requests not only clarifies what data your app will be using, but also reduces sign up friction.

gaurav sinha

Sep 10, 2014, 7:50:05 AM9/10/14
to google-iden...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Derek for the comprehensive response. I/O presentation is good. I completely agree with you that managing the Identity problem is complex. Now I understand the behavior of Gitkit design in this aspect. Your answer was very helpful.

Regards,
Gaurav Sinha