Symbol(s) invalid or unsupported: T

D Gray

Apr 5, 2011, 8:11:51 PM4/5/11
to Google Finance
In editing my portfolio today, I was unable to save it with the stock
symbol "T" (=AT&T). The symbol works elsewhere on Google Finance.

Karolina (Google Employee)

Apr 27, 2011, 6:55:07 PM4/27/11
to Google Finance
I see what's going on - if you just type "T", for some reason it
doesn't get recognized as NYSE:T.
Try typing in NYSE:T or AT&T instead - that works fine.

JohnF

May 3, 2011, 10:31:43 AM5/3/11
to Google Finance
I also cannot edit my Portfolio due to a Symbol invalid or unsupported
error. The symbol causing the problem is for Meritor. If I get quote
information for MTOR, everything is fine. If I try and get quote
information for NYSE:MTOR, the error occurs. Unfortunately, it
appears that the My Portfolio feature tries to use NYSE:MTOR, even if
I put in only MTOR, so I cannot do any edits in my Portfilio unless I
detete that symbol.

Frank

May 8, 2011, 5:30:44 PM5/8/11
to Google Finance
I tried that on my portofolio:

PM MO NLY NYX O ARG MU CCE KMI KMR KMP NRGY BWP TEF WIN
CTL FTR VZ T

but I get the error message:

Symbol(s) invalid or unsupported: FTR

FTR is Frontier Communications.

On another porfolio:

CME CBOE NYX WFT FLR BPT UPL PAYX GLD FE ED EXC UIL TU
NEE POT FWLT STX MU CLB TILFX TILDX SGGDX F GM

I get

Symbol(s) invalid or unsupported: F

F is Ford.

On Apr 27, 5:55 pm, "Karolina (Google Employee)" <k...@google.com>
wrote:
> > symbol "T" (=AT&T).  The symbol works elsewhere on Google Finance.- Hide quoted text -

J Flynn

Feb 20, 2015, 12:30:26 AM2/20/15
to google-...@googlegroups.com, toga...@gmail.com
I had the same problem with another mutual fund.  The 'Edit Portfolio' screen has a bug that should be fixable.  It is possible to get the screen to work but you need to jump through some hoops when it does happen.

Most people probably never used the 'Edit Portfolio' screen because it's only used to change the default currency, change the portfolio sort order or to enable/disable dividend reporting. Furthermore, you will not run into the "Symbol(s) invalid or unsupported: " problem if you don't actually change anything.

There is a work around that is suggested at in earlier post from Karolina but is not explained.  In last post from "J J Hanlon", they need to change TRVLX to MUTF:TRVLX in the text box when they click "Save Changes" on this page.  They will also need to prepend the symbol + ':' to the correct exchange for every other symbol in the list (assuming something on the page has changed).

If you need to change a different symbol, you should go to www.google.com/finance and search for your symbol. If it finds your symbol you will see symbol <tab> symbolDescription <tab> exchange.  Examples...
Symbol Description Exchange
T AT&T NYSE
TRVLX T. Rowe Price Value Fund MUTF
GOOG Google Inc NASDAQ

You will need to find the exchange (the rightmost text) and prepend the symbol with the exchange + ":".    For T change T to NYSE:T.   For TRVLX change to MUTF:TRVLX.

Every time you use the "Edit Portfolio" screen (and you actually change something on the page) you have to change all symbols by adding its exchange + ":" in front of the symbol.

**** Notes to Google developers  (Assuming that this is not just a forgotten 20% project that nobody cares about) ***
1)    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. I'm hoping that you are using some type of unit testing software. Change your tests to actually change a value on the screen before invoking the "Save Changes". This only fails if something is different. Easily overlooked.
2)  I'm assuming all your assets are in Google stock.  Diversify!  Get some mutual funds that don't own google and you might have found this problem on your own.  :).

On Friday, January 4, 2013 at 6:07:36 AM UTC-5, Edward J Hanlon wrote:
I am trying to at T.Rowe Price  Value fund to my portfolio and the symbol is definitely TRVLX but I get the same message.