Tracking Options in Portfolio

hanxue

Mar 12, 2012, 7:05:46 PM3/12/12
to Google Finance
I am trying to track options in my portfolio using the format
described in http://support.google.com/finance/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=71900

This is the example given:

Understanding Option chain data:

Symbol:
[See example in bold]
The basic parts of new option symbol are: Option Symbol (root symbol)
(this does not always mean the symbol is the same as the ticker)
[GOOG] + Expiration Year(yy) [10] + Expiration Month(mm) [07] +
Expiration Day(dd) [17] + Call/Put symbol [C] + Strike price [$240 /
00240000]

Example: GOOG010717C00240000

Specifically, I want to enter my transaction of selling a Put options
for Paramount Gold and Silver Corp (PZG) at $2.50 expiring on 22nd
Sept 2012. I used the symbol below but got the error "Symbol invalid
or unsupported"

PZG120922P00025000

Is there something wrong with the format of the Options symbol?

Nara Srini

Mar 13, 2012, 6:20:34 PM3/13/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Symbol for the Puts is - "PZG12092200002500" as used in Yahoo Finance.  However each brokerage house and Finance software use their own way of identifying it. The symbol I've given works with Yahoo Finance. In Fidelity it is PZG120922P2.5. You may have to experiment with different combinations in Google

Alex Bogomolets

Mar 18, 2012, 4:13:37 PM3/18/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Can you track value of an index or stock options using google portfolio or google docs? Thanks AB

James Michael Mannion

May 9, 2016, 6:38:48 AM5/9/16
to Google Finance
The ability to track options in portfolio, or retrieve quote data for options in Sheets, appears still to be missing even now in 2016.
Further, the answer you linked to back in 2012 now makes no mention of options symbols.

I want to add my vote for Google Finance updates to PLEASE include the ability to track options in portfolio and retrieve options quote data via a "ticker symbol", however they want to do that.
Nara below is correct, different services have invented different approaches.  It would be nice if we could all decide on one method, and of course, if Google promotes one, it will very likely become the defacto standard... or maybe there's a standards group out there working on it right now?  Regardless, Google portfolios, and Google finance in general remain largely unusable for me until there is some way to look up options and track them both short and long.

PS I do not have as much interest in commodities futures, but I suspect those who do would have the same concerns.