Re: Portfolio value - Cost Basis and Mkt Value totals?

Alex Dejarnatt

Oct 29, 2012, 3:16:41 PM10/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Niall thanks for the detailed bug report and especially for including a screenshot; very helpful!
There appears to be a problem with the portfolio computations for listings on LON that don't use GBP (or GBp/GBX). I'm looking at your holding of KYGA in particular -- since the listing is quoted in EUR, 450 shares should be worth ~18,600EUR.

We will look into a fix.
thanks
Alex

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Niall McAndrew <niall.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Google Finance.
I have looked for the answer to this question online and in the archives of this list - I apologise if this has been discussed at length before but I am a little baffled by this!

I have attached a screenshot of  My Portfolio to illustrate my problem.

I don't understand how Google Fin arrives at the calculated value under cost basis and under Mkt value? or at least I don't agree with the totals as calculated?
Essentially the Cost Basis of the combined stocks I own comes to approx £1690.

In the attached screenshot in the Portfolio value row you will see that Cost Basis according to Google Fin is £13,719.30?
I don't know how this figure was calculated?

Similarly in the Market Value column for the Portfolio value it is £16,637.76?

I really don't understand this?
I don't want to give up on Google Fin as I have put some effort into setting up portfolios and gaining an understanding of how it works but this is really frustrating!

Hopefully someone can help.

Regards,

Niall.

Mike S

Jan 29, 2013, 8:38:51 AM1/29/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I have now recreated my Google Finance portfolios on Google Drive spreadsheets using 'googlefinance' attributes. The market value and cost basis totals sum correctly, so I have no idea why the Google Finance totals and performance charts are completely wrong. I very much hope that this can be fixed soon.
Regards
Mike

harrygl...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2013, 5:30:21 PM1/29/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi I seem to have fixed the problem by deleting aggrekko. There is a bug with these shares. I reported it and google know about it and are trying to sort it. I think its annoying not to be told of a known fault. I've been working on this since Nov 12!

Mike S

Jan 30, 2013, 11:40:09 AM1/30/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic! Thank you for the tip. Deleting Aggrekko has also cured the totals problem in one of my UK portfolios. I have also found that deleting ETFS OILS, which I had retained for its residual value after the fund was closed, has sorted out another portfolio. My mixed stirling and $ portfolios are still wrong, which is a pity as they used to total up to the correct stirling values. I guess that I shall just have to seperate them. Regards  Mike

Harry Gladstone

Feb 5, 2013, 5:46:19 PM2/5/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Niall,

I had the same problem but found that a particular share (aggreko) was causing the issue.  The web team told me that it was a known problem.

Harry

On Feb 4, 2013 4:58 PM, "mike houlihan" <mhcre...@comcast.net> wrote:

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:01:10 AM UTC-7, Niall McAndrew wrote:
[...]

harrygl...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2013, 2:51:54 PM2/12/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Google Finance Team,

Have you been able to get any further with fixing the Cost Basis / Total value with your portfolios?  I have just tried to re-enter my shares for the company Aggreko and it still sends the portfolion's totals completely out.  Despite the shares having only a market value of 40,000, the portfolio increases by a total of 6M!  Not being ablt to monitor the live values of the whole portfolio as a result of the problem is very inconvenient.  As you can see above, I am not the only person with the problem, nor is it restricted to Aggreko.

Can you help?

Harry.

Tim Verheyden

Apr 12, 2016, 6:35:22 AM4/12/16
to Google Finance
Dear Alex (and Google Finance team),

I am experiencing the same problems as Niall, but we are now 3.5 years later... Cost basis and Mkt Value are essentially 1/100 of real value, which is fine. But the overall portfolio value is just plain wrong. When exporting everything to Excel and then summing up myself, I do find the correct value.

Could you please look again into a fix. I would really like to use Google Finance properly :)

Thank you,

Tim