Drawing large circles on Google Earth

kickflipzilla

Oct 16, 2008, 10:45:30 AM10/16/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Hi all. I am currently developing a google earth plugin using
exclusively javascript. What I need to create is a 40-square-mile
circile around one of my placemarks. Does anyone know if this is
possible to do without employing KML? I don't know anything about KML
so I'm hoping there's an easy solution.
Cheers
Cody

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Oct 16, 2008, 11:52:47 AM10/16/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
You dont need to use KML, can do it with just javascript. Either way
you are going to need to calculate the coordinates of the 'points'
that make a circle.

The Google Maps API group has lots of code for drawing circles,
perhaps you can adopt one of them..

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-API/search?hl=en&group=Google-Maps-API&q=circle+javascript&qt_g=Search+this+group

kickflipzilla

Oct 16, 2008, 12:12:38 PM10/16/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Hi Barry,
Thanks for the response. I have the coordinates where the circle
needs to be located....Is there a particular methodology that you
would recommend?
Cody

On Oct 16, 11:52 am, barryhunter [KML Guru] wrote:
> You dont need to use KML, can do it with just javascript. Either way
> you are going to need to calculate the coordinates of the 'points'
> that make a circle.
>
> The Google Maps API group has lots of code for drawing circles,
> perhaps you can adopt one of them..
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-API/search?hl=en&group=Goo...

kickflipzilla

Oct 16, 2008, 5:47:56 PM10/16/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
I've tried several different methods and I don't seem to be having
luck. I dont have much experience in porting over google maps API to
earth API- I've just jumped on the bandwagon recently. Are there any
special things that I have to do aside from setting the
map.addOverlay? :( I've been trying this all day and feeling like a
complete moron. I just need a 40 square mile circle around a point
that I have the lat and long for. Anyone? :(

fraser

Oct 17, 2008, 6:05:36 AM10/17/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Hi kickflipzilla,

Take a look at James Stafford's example - http://www.barnabu.co.uk/geapi/polyplot
It shows how to draw various gemoteric shapes using the API.

Regards,

Fraser.

kickflipzilla

Oct 17, 2008, 12:25:43 PM10/17/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
I am feeling completely hopeless.

What I need is a translucently-colored, circular 'zone' of the google
earth that has a 40 mile radius centered around a placemark. I am
willing to offer ten dollars via PayPal to anyone who can provide me
with a function/solution that creates the zone. Whether it is a
cylinder that goes to all altitudes or just a colored tint on the
surface of Google earth, ten dollars via Paypal. I would prefer the
cylinder reaching to the sky, but an overlay on the surface would work
fine.
Someone PLEASE save me here.