Using gdata library without appengine api sdk

Christian Brunnermeier

Feb 7, 2011, 5:59:19 AM2/7/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to build an app that uses the gdata library (e.g. DocsService) to access/upload/download files as well as the billing api  to manage the billing and licensing stuff.
Some of the gdata library classes like the DocsService class seem to require the appengine api (e.g. appengine-api-1.0-sdk-1.2.5) although I'm running the application on a tomcat server whereas the billing api doesn't work if the appengine api is available.
So my question is: can I use the gdata libraries without the appengine lib?
Right now when calling new DocsService("My App") I get the exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.mail.MessagingException
    at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1387)
    at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1233)
    at com.yfiles.yedflex.GoogleQueryServlet.createDocsService(GoogleQueryServlet.java:484)

Best regards,
Chris

Patricia Goldweic

Feb 7, 2011, 11:13:20 AM2/7/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com

Not sure if this will help answer your question, but I’ve used the gdata library in the past to access docs, calendars and sites (not billing) and never needed the app-engine api. Your exception doesn’t clearly show why you think that the app-engine jar file is involved in this problem though; perhaps you should include the full stacktrace in your post.

Having said this, let me mention that I  recently I started using the Google  sample code for Marketplace apps, which happened to require the app-engine api, and found that this library would conflict with my program’s ability to send email normally (using commons-email software), so I ended up modifying some of the classes in the sample slightly so that the app-engine jar would not be required. Hopefully you won’t need to do this though L.  Would be nice if Google clarified the exact requirements (and hopefully the requirements would be such that we *don’t * need the api-engine library unless we’re specifically planning to run the code in the app-engine).

-Patricia

Christian Brunnermeier

Feb 8, 2011, 4:35:52 AM2/8/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
the class javax.mail.MessagingException is inside the appengine-api-1.0-sdk-1.2.5.jar
I haven't thought about checking whether simply using mail.jar instead of the appengine sdk jar would work but this did the trick :-)

Thanks,
Chris

Patricia Goldweic

Feb 8, 2011, 10:51:28 AM2/8/11