Got Omnipage Indexer Working

agb

Jul 17, 2006, 11:36:07 AM7/17/06
to Google Desktop Plug-in: Omnipage
i got the non expiring Omnipage Indexer. This build will run with no
limitations and will never prompt for activating. send me an email for
details.

Bill

Jul 17, 2006, 11:56:20 AM7/17/06
to Google Desktop Plug-in: Omnipage
Wow, that's great. Please send details to billy...@optonline.net .
Thanks man!

Jerry Manzanares

Jul 17, 2006, 12:05:42 PM7/17/06
to Google-Desktop-...@googlegroups.com
That's awsome AGB, please send me the info at jerr...@gmail.com. Thanks

Bill

Jul 17, 2006, 12:21:02 PM7/17/06
to Google Desktop Plug-in: Omnipage
Seems to be a new install file on the Nuance website, used to be
5.80MB, now it's 6.03MB,
http://www.nuance.com/omnipage/search/launch.asp . Also check out the
release notes, which states, "Please read this document for
late-breaking or detailed information about ScanSoft OmniPage Search
Indexer 1.0 that could not be included in its other documentation.":

OmniPage Search Indexer 1.0 BETA 3 Release Notes

This product is free for personal use, and available only via
download. Support is limited to information posted to
www.scansoft.com/omnipage/search; Phone and email support are not
available for this product. No warranties, express or implied, are
granted for this product, and the user accepts all risk of use.

Please read this document for late-breaking or detailed information
about ScanSoft OmniPage Search Indexer 1.0 that could not be included
in its other documentation. Up-to-date information and a knowledge base
is available on the OmniPage Search web page
(http://www.scansoft.com/omnipage/search/). You can access this using
your web browser.

Build: OPSI2889A-2005.0502-B3.1
Copyright © 2005 ScanSoft, Inc.
Last edited: May 02, 2005
These release notes discuss the following topics:
About OmniPage Search Indexer
Minimum System Requirements
Installation
Configuring the Plugin
Uninstallation

About OmniPage Search Indexer

The first of its kind - Add image PDF, Fax and Scanned Documents to
Google Desktop Search. Now you can use a single key-word or phrase to
find all of your documents - paper and digital - using the ScanSoft
OmniPage Search Indexer with Google Desktop Search.

The ScanSoft OmniPage Search Indexer creates index data from PDF and
image-based content without changing the original. The plug-in uses
ScanSoft's world-leading OCR, as well as a lightning fast PDF indexing
engine. ScanSoft is the OCR behind the world's largest book scanning
projects, and has been selected by nearly 100% of commercial vendors
delivering imaging solutions, including Autodesk, Brother, Canon,
Captiva, Corex, Dell, HP, FileNET, Kofax, Lexmark, NSI, Omtool, Verity,
Visioneer and Xerox.

The ScanSoft OmniPage Search Indexer works as a plug-in to Google
Desktop Search. It will automatically index PDF (normal and scanned),
TIF/TIFF, JPG/JPEG, BMP and PaperPort MAX files when your PC is idle.
You can enable/disable its operation via the "Desktop Preferences"
within Google Desktop Search.

There is no Start>>Program or user interface to the OmniPage Search
Indexer. It operates automatically within Google Desktop Search. It
will index your image-based content automatically whenever your PC is
idle. Please see desktop.google.com for information on Google Desktop
Search, and www.scansoft.com/omnipage/search for information on the
OmniPage Search Indexer.

This product is free for personal use, and available only via download.
Support is limited to information posted to
www.scansoft.com/omnipage/search; Phone and email support are not
available for this product.
Minimum System Requirements

To install and run OmniPage Search Indexer 1.0, your Windows-compatible
PC must be equipped with the following:
◊ Google Desktop Search 1.0
◊ An Intel Pentium III processor or equivalent
◊ Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 2000 (from Service Pack 3);
Other operating systems are not supported.
◊ Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
◊ 128 MB of memory (RAM), 256 MB recommended
◊ 10 MB of free hard disk space for the application files,
plus 15 MB working space during installation. An additional
maximum of 5 MB may be required for various system updates.
◊ An SVGA monitor with 256 colors, but preferably 16-bit color
(called High Color in Windows 2000 and Medium Color in XP)
and a resolution of at least 800 x 600 pixels.
Performance and speed will be enhanced if the computer's processor,
memory, and available disk space exceed the minimum requirements.
Installation

Google Desktop Search 1.0 must be installed on the target PC before you
attempt to install the ScanSoft OmniPage Search Indexer.

The ScanSoft OmniPage Search Indexer 1.0 is available via download
only.

Before you install or uninstall OmniPage Search Indexer, exit from any
open applications so that only Windows is running. There should be no
applications listed in the task bar and no floating toolbars. This
includes exiting Google Desktop Search (right click on the tool-tray
icon and select "Exit".)

Install OmniPage Search Indexer 1.0

1. Double click on the OmniPage Search Indexer file saved on your PC or
network.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions.

On Windows 2000 and XP systems, you should have administrator
privileges to install OmniPage Search Indexer.

Activate OmniPage Search Indexer

During the installation, you will be asked to complete an electronic
form to receive a Product Key. If you decide not to, you will be
allowed to use the product in demo mode, and will be promted for
activation from time to time.

Information provided to ScanSoft during the activation process will be
held as private and confidential to ScanSoft. By activating the product
the user is agreeing to receive occasional emails from ScanSoft
regarding software updates and offers. ScanSoft will not share this
information with any other parties or partners.

Configuring the Plugin

There is no user interface to the OmniPage Search Indexer, some of its
parameters can be configured by editing an INI file. The plugin is
normally installed into C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPage Search
Indexer 1.0. Find a file called ScanSoftGDS.ini there and double click
on it to start editing.

Uninstallation

OmniPage Search Indexer can be uninstalled in the standard way using
the Add or Remove Programs tool in the Control Panel. Additional
information can be found at www.scansoft.com/omnipage/search.

CrotonMark

Jul 18, 2006, 12:57:06 PM7/18/06
to Google Desktop Plug-in: Omnipage
I downloaded the plugin and installed it this morning. However, it is
not indexing. It didnt ask me to register but it does not appear to be
working. Any ideas?

William P. Murphy

Jul 18, 2006, 1:01:12 PM7/18/06
to Google-Desktop-...@googlegroups.com
Check various files, I know mine is only partially indexing and I installed it yesterday.  I haven't figured out why yet, anyone else experiencing these problems or come across a resolution?

CrotonMark

Jul 18, 2006, 1:27:11 PM7/18/06
to Google Desktop Plug-in: Omnipage
I keep opening files - a technique that works for xls and doc files but
still nothing with this new PDF indexer

William P. Murphy

Jul 18, 2006, 2:02:47 PM7/18/06
to Google-Desktop-...@googlegroups.com
I tried that too, to no avail.  I even used TweakGDS to delete the index and re-index from scratch, and a good portion of my tif files are there, however some are still missing.  And that created a new problem, now I get an error when trying to index network files that I didn't get before.  My permissions are correct, I believe, but I get the following error message: "Unknown error accessing files during crawling."  I had seen that reported before, and upon searching the groups, I didn't find a clear cut answer.  Anyone know how to fix this secondary issue, other than opening the files located on the network to pull into the index?  I'm looking to have the network drive indexed automatically like it's supossed to.

dal987

Jul 22, 2006, 3:13:31 AM7/22/06
to Google Desktop Plug-in: Omnipage
Mine's working fine- at last. pdf's (image), png's (text), jpg's
(text).
Make sure you get the 6.03Mb version posted a few days after the first
expiry.
It doesn't seem to prompt for activation, even if you use the clean
tool.

I finally simply moved the index, which lately seemed to include a
repeat index of the same jpg which I'd not toched and had no special
interest in. Nor did it seem to start re-indexing whatever I tried.

But now, starting from scratch, it is working as it should.

DAL.

miram

Aug 1, 2006, 2:59:37 AM8/1/06
to Google Desktop Plug-in: Omnipage