Endpoints API Management tries threading, causes warning + new process

u...@seriesgui.de

Mar 8, 2017, 10:37:46 AM3/8/17
to Google Cloud Endpoints
I recently switched my App Engine Standard Cloud Endpoints project to the new Cloud Endpoints Frameworks (v2). Since switching over to the new API Management as outlined in https://cloud.google.com/endpoints/docs/frameworks/java/adding-api-management I see frequent warning logs and consequential app process starts.

com.google.api.control.Client start: no scheduler thread, schedule.run will be invoked by report(...) (Client.java:126)
java
.lang.IllegalStateException: This feature is only available to backend instances.
    at com.google.appengine.api.system.SystemServiceImpl.startBackgroundRequest(SystemServiceImpl.java:28)
    at com.google.apphosting.runtime.ApiProxyImpl$BackgroundThreadFactory.newThread(ApiProxyImpl.java:1280)
    at com.google.api.control.Client.start(Client.java:118)
    at com.google.api.control.ControlFilter.init(ControlFilter.java:137)

This request caused a new process to be started for your application, and thus caused your application code to be loaded for the first time. This request may thus take longer and use more CPU than a typical request for your application.

The warning is caused by ControlFilter Client trying to start a thread, but failing.

Is this something to be concerned about? It feels wrong to me that this should cause a new process to be started.

Uwe

u...@seriesgui.de

Mar 8, 2017, 11:16:01 AM3/8/17
to Google Cloud Endpoints, u...@seriesgui.de
Resolved: While walking the dog I realized that this warning might just occur each time a new instance is started due to auto-scaling (not the other way round). I checked with the instance viewer and so it is.

I suppose this can be filed under shot too early.

Uwe

Brad Friedman

Mar 8, 2017, 11:18:48 AM3/8/17
to u...@seriesgui.de, Google Cloud Endpoints
Glad it worked out, Uwe! Let us know if we can help with any other questions.

u...@seriesgui.de

Mar 9, 2017, 1:09:26 AM3/9/17
to Google Cloud Endpoints, u...@seriesgui.de
For reference, there is a related issue on the GitHub project: https://github.com/cloudendpoints/endpoints-java/issues/56