Google Chrome Frame unspecified error during install on Windows XP SP2 x32/IE8 after uninstall

9 306 просмотров

Almighty1

не прочитано,
9 февр. 2010 г., 22:15:4809.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame
Greetings everyone:

I had Google Chrome Frame running on my Windows XP SP2 x32 with IE8
but I did a uninstall, rebooted and try to do a install but the
install process always stops with:

Installation failed due to unspecified error. If Google Chrome is
currently running, please close it and try again.

Hopefully someone can help, as it doesn't seem like the installer
leaves any logs or anything to pinpoint what's causing it exactly.
Thanks!

Cheers,
Vince

Almighty1

не прочитано,
9 февр. 2010 г., 22:38:3409.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame
It seems like there is still some things that somehow didn't uninstall
as when I went to http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/__Show_Web_Browser_Information.php
to check the browser identication string reported, it shows
chromeframe:

Test Result

Your Browser Identification: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0;
Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Q312461; chromeframe; .NET CLR 1.1.4322;
InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR
3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Cheers,
Vince

Almighty1

не прочитано,
9 февр. 2010 г., 23:41:1509.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame
Problem solved, had to delete anything that is related to Chrome in
the registry as the keys were read only.

Cheers,
Vince

Robert Shield

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 10:04:2410.02.2010
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Happy to hear your problem is solved.

For installer problems, there's a log file that gets written to your TEMP folder called chrome-frame-installer.log that can sometimes help with diagnosing problems. Chrome Frame shouldn't be using the same registry keys as Chrome, so I'd be curious to see the log output if this problem ever happens again.  If you've since had a successful install, the log file has probably been overwritten, but if you do see the error again, please let us know!

Thanks,
Robert

Cheers,
Vince

Almighty1

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 12:59:5510.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame
Actually, what I meant was I used regedit and searched for chrome and
usually it's some key that references the directory C:\Program Files
\Google\ChromeFrame somewhere as well as Chrome.Active something. I
installed ChromeFrame back in September 2009 and I guess the system
auto-updated to the new version(s) and ofcourse when I uninstalled, it
had 5.0.317.0 already on it. Perhaps the older versions created keys
that the new version doesn't as I can uninstall and install again
without problems after getting it to install except I couldn't get CF
to work which was why I uninstalled originally as cf:http://
www.google.com used to work and it didn't anymore when I tried
yesterday. I was reading the entry on http://blog.chromium.org that
cf: is changed to gcf: and I tried gcf:http://www.google.com and it
made no difference, both cf: and gcf: gives the "The webpage cannot be
displayed"
and I noticed something else too. There is no "HKCU\Software\Google
\ChromeFrame" key at all on the system, and I don't see a "HKLM
\Software\Google\ChromeFrame" key either.
C:\Documents and Settings\<$UserName>\Local Settings\Temp\chrome-frame-
installer.log exists except it's 0 bytes in size.

Cheers,
Vince

Robert Shield

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 13:42:4210.02.2010
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Almighty1 <vinc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

 Right, we won't create those keys by default, but if you create the HKCU one and then add a DWORD value called EnableGCFProtocol set to 1, then gcf: ought to start working.

C:\Documents and Settings\<$UserName>\Local Settings\Temp\chrome-frame-
installer.log exists except it's 0 bytes in size.

Ok, that means the last install succeeded without errors.

Almighty1

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 14:08:2810.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame
On Feb 10, 10:42 am, Robert Shield <robertshi...@chromium.org> wrote:

>  Right, we won't create those keys by default, but if you create the HKCU
> one and then add a DWORD value called EnableGCFProtocol set to 1, then gcf:
> ought to start working.

And it worked even without exiting IE after adding that DWORD value.
So basically with the new version of GCF, by default, GCF is loaded as
I see chrome.exe running but it won't actually be used unless that
DWORD value is added? If that DWORD value isn't added, will GCF still
automatically load for pages that need it or is it only for things
that has the gcf: prefix in the URL? Another question is if I wanted
GCF to be enabled for all users by default on the system, would
putting EnableGCFProtocol in HKLM actually work? Thanks again!

Cheers,
Vince

Robert Shield

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 14:32:4410.02.2010
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Almighty1 <vinc...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Feb 10, 10:42 am, Robert Shield <robertshi...@chromium.org> wrote:

>  Right, we won't create those keys by default, but if you create the HKCU
> one and then add a DWORD value called EnableGCFProtocol set to 1, then gcf:
> ought to start working.

And it worked even without exiting IE after adding that DWORD value.
So basically with the new version of GCF, by default, GCF is loaded as
I see chrome.exe running but it won't actually be used unless that
DWORD value is added?
If that DWORD value isn't added, will GCF still
automatically load for pages that need it or is it only for things
that has the gcf: prefix in the URL?

The DWORD value controls only whether URLs with gcf: in them will load Chrome Frame. Without that registry value, Chrome Frame won't try to render anything for a gcf: URL.

 Another question is if I wanted
GCF to be enabled for all users by default on the system, would
putting EnableGCFProtocol in HKLM actually work?

No, we don't read from HKLM, each user would have to explicitly opt in to this by adding to the value to their HKCU hive.

Thanks again!

Amit Joshi

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 14:36:3310.02.2010
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Robert Shield
<robert...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Almighty1 <vinc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 10, 10:42 am, Robert Shield <robertshi...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> >  Right, we won't create those keys by default, but if you create the
>> > HKCU
>> > one and then add a DWORD value called EnableGCFProtocol set to 1, then
>> > gcf:
>> > ought to start working.
>>
>> And it worked even without exiting IE after adding that DWORD value.
>> So basically with the new version of GCF, by default, GCF is loaded as
>> I see chrome.exe running but it won't actually be used unless that
>> DWORD value is added?
>>
>> If that DWORD value isn't added, will GCF still
>> automatically load for pages that need it or is it only for things
>> that has the gcf: prefix in the URL?
>
> The DWORD value controls only whether URLs with gcf: in them will load
> Chrome Frame. Without that registry value, Chrome Frame won't try to render
> anything for a gcf: URL.
>

>>  Another question is if I wanted
>> GCF to be enabled for all users by default on the system, would
>> putting EnableGCFProtocol in HKLM actually work?
>
> No, we don't read from HKLM, each user would have to explicitly opt in to
> this by adding to the value to their HKCU hive.

We are planning to support these settings via group policy but that
will come in future with the enterprise installer (also in the
planning stage).

Almighty1

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 15:56:5410.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame

On Feb 10, 11:32 am, Robert Shield <robertshi...@chromium.org> wrote:

> The DWORD value controls only whether URLs with gcf: in them will load
> Chrome Frame. Without that registry value, Chrome Frame won't try to render
> anything for a gcf: URL.

What I meant was by default, if someone installed GCF and they didn't
add the DWORD, would the tag <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
content="chrome=1"> at the top of the html page still load GCF?

Cheers,
Vince

Almighty1

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 16:04:4110.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame
On Feb 10, 11:36 am, Amit Joshi <a...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Robert Shield
> <robertshi...@chromium.org> wrote:

Sounds good and perhaps there should be a button in IE to turn on/off
using GCF in all web pages like what Chrome Frame Switch.exe does.

Cheers,
Vince

Robert Shield

не прочитано,
10 февр. 2010 г., 16:19:0910.02.2010
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that will continue to work and is not affected by the registry setting.

Almighty1

не прочитано,
12 февр. 2010 г., 18:03:0712.02.2010
– Google-chrome-frame
Just wanted to say thanks to Robert and everyone for their assistance!

Cheers,
Vince

ter...@nationwideeviction.com

не прочитано,
30 апр. 2014 г., 00:46:0930.04.2014
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Robert I am having a very similar problem, can you help me?

Greg Thompson

не прочитано,
30 апр. 2014 г., 11:20:2230.04.2014
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate on exactly what the problem you're facing is? This very old thread covered a lot of bases. Thanks.

aneesa...@hotmail.com

не прочитано,
21 янв. 2015 г., 22:14:4121.01.2015
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
How do you get to the registry?

I uninstalled google chrome, and now it says that same thing every time I try to install again.
How do I download google chrome back onto my laptop?
Btw I have a windows 8.1 Acer

Please can someone help me out

Greg Thompson

не прочитано,
22 янв. 2015 г., 11:21:2122.01.2015
– google-ch...@googlegroups.com
The first step would be to restart your computer and then try installing from http://www.google.com/chrome/. If you get the same error again, please create a new issue at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry with the label Cr-Internals-Installer and we'll diagnose further from there. Thanks.

Ответить всем
Отправить сообщение автору
Переслать
0 новых сообщений