Why does the new FPS tool overlay the actual content area?

jro...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2017, 1:37:36 PM10/9/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
The new framerate (FPS) tool is great!

But why was the decision made to make this tool overlay the actual mobile content area (where screen real estate is already limited)?

Is it possible to move this window to the side somewhere? It makes it really hard to interact with the page when there are interface elements on the top right (underneath the FPS overlay).

Kayce Basques

Jan 3, 2018, 6:02:48 PM1/3/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Are you talking about the FPS Meter? FYI it's actually a very old tool.

It doesn't give you a realtime view, but the FPS chart can show you your general FPS performance, without obstructing your viewport.

A good place to put the realtime FPS meter would be the new Perf Monitor. I don't think there's currently any work on that, though.

It's not possible to move the window. The FPS Meter doesn't block interactions with stuff underneath it, though. You can still interact. But yes, I understand that it's harder because the Meter is obstructing your view.