Why is what the Device Viewer shows me is so different from what I see on my cell phone?

Chris Hill

Aug 24, 2016, 9:51:00 AM8/24/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

I have a Galaxy S7.  When you go into developer tools and Toggle Device Toolbar, NONE of the sites for any device are remotely similar to what I see when I bring that site up on my cell phone.

So like, go to MSN.com in Chrome.
Click on Toggle Device Toolbar... this is what I see:

Yet, when I go to that same site on my cell phone, I see this:

And, I get that I have a Galaxy S7 and I'm using the S5 viewer in Dev Tools.  But, it's not even close!  I remember this also being the case when I had my Nexus 5.  Some sites look okay... like Yahoo and CNN look the same on my cell phone as they do in Dev Tools.  But like, the site I'm working on is HillPicks.com.  What I see on Dev Tools for that site looks NOTHING like what I see on my cell phone.  Why is that?

Joel Einbinder

Aug 24, 2016, 4:10:42 PM8/24/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Try refreshing the website after you turn on device mode. MSN sends a different website if it thinks you are using a mobile device.