Use cache when page offline

Larry LACa

Aug 17, 2017, 2:41:01 PM8/17/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Is there a way to use the F12 dev console, to view a page from cache when the page is offline?

I have some router stat pages from another network, that I would like to resurrect from cache.  I have bookmark links, but they are not accessible now since I'm not connected to that network.

I know some pages can be displayed from cache, e.g. if the chrome startup option is set to 'Continue where you left off', some tabs will render, even when offline, others fail with Site can't be reached, ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT.  It's the latter that I'm trying to access.

PhistucK

Aug 17, 2017, 5:52:47 PM8/17/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I do not think the Developer Tools feature has such an option.
The browser has it in about:flags, I think.
But you can check whether it exists in the cache - go to chrome://cache/ and look for the URL. If it is there, click on it to see some details about the cached response, including its (perhaps encoded) content. That means the file is out there (the date of the request/response can help you determine which file it is in your user profile directory, in the Cache directory).

PhistucK

Larry LACa

Aug 18, 2017, 8:42:12 PM8/18/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
OK.  I still couldn't find a direct way to display the about:cache files.

By combining chrome://flags/#show-saved-copy, airplane mode, and the exact URL from about:cache I came pretty close.
Caveats apply, posted to SuperUser here.