Show which 301 redirects are stuck in the Chrome cache

Carl Whalley

Oct 17, 2016, 4:23:08 AM10/17/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I've a bust 301 redirect stuck in my live Chrome accounts cache. To help fix it I'm looking for a way in dev-tools to actually see it. It only fails on my live Chrome acc. Even going incognito fixes the site. Of course I'd love a way to clear it without the nuclear option...

PhistucK

Oct 17, 2016, 4:24:57 AM10/17/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Clearing cache (or using the "Disable cache" option in the Network panel of the Developer Tools) should "forget" that 301 redirect, I believe.

PhistucK

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Carl Whalley <carl.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've a bust 301 redirect stuck in my live Chrome accounts cache. To help fix it I'm looking for a way in dev-tools to actually see it. It only fails on my live Chrome acc. Even going incognito fixes the site. Of course I'd love a way to clear it without the nuclear option...

Carl Whalley

Oct 20, 2016, 6:19:42 AM10/20/16
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:24:57 AM UTC+1, PhistucK wrote:
Clearing cache (or using the "Disable cache" option in the Network panel of the Developer Tools) should "forget" that 301 redirect, I believe.

Hi,

Sadly neither do, but thanks for the suggestion. Anything else I could try?

-- Carl Whalley

PhistucK

Oct 20, 2016, 6:43:14 AM10/20/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I just tried it (using Fiddler) and it worked.
What do you see in the Network panel of the Developer Tools?

PhistucK

Patrick Mueller

Oct 21, 2016, 6:18:03 PM10/21/16
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Today, I just happened to run into a stuck 301 I needed to reset as well, and as near as I can tell, just setting disable cache on in the Network panel, navigating to the site with the the old 301 - changed to a 302 this morning - seemed to fix it.  Got the "new" redirect, including after exiting CDT, reloading the link, etc.

Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Carl Whalley

Oct 26, 2016, 8:36:41 AM10/26/16

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 11:18:03 PM UTC+1, Patrick Mueller wrote:
Today, I just happened to run into a stuck 301 I needed to reset as well, and as near as I can tell, just setting disable cache on in the Network panel, navigating to the site with the the old 301 - changed to a 302 this morning - seemed to fix it.  Got the "new" redirect, including after exiting CDT, reloading the link, etc.

Hi Patrick

To make it clear, when I enter http://www.example.com I wind up at https://192.168.62.22 and get the secure connection warning since it forced https.
There is nothing at that IP, so it 404's
Are you saying I need to spin up a web server there and use a .hrtaccess file on it?

Taking up you suggestion, I just went to dev tools, disabled cache, entered http://www.example.com and it still just took me to the invalid IP. Was that what you meant?

Thanks for the help.

-- Carl

PS course its a real URL, not www.example.com.

Blaise Bruer

Oct 26, 2016, 1:03:11 PM10/26/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
If you go to chrome://net-internals and retry this with devtools closed, does the dns lookup resolve to the correct ip?

PhistucK

Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Carl Whalley

Oct 26, 2016, 4:39:31 PM10/26/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi Blaise, nope when I do as you suggest it still winds up at the IP I mentioned.

Blaise Bruer

Oct 26, 2016, 7:38:04 PM10/26/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Sounds like you have a problem with your host file, proxy or dns.

Carl Whalley

Oct 27, 2016, 7:48:55 AM10/27/16
On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 12:38:04 AM UTC+1, Blaise Bruer wrote:
Sounds like you have a problem with your host file, proxy or dns.

Exactly what I thought, so I spun up a clean Ubuntu VM on a different LAN which had never been near any of this, created a Google account in Chrome and got the same results.

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:23:08 AM UTC+1, Carl Whalley wrote:
I've a bust 301 redirect stuck in my live Chrome accounts cache. To help fix it I'm looking for a way in dev-tools to actually see it. It only fails on my live Chrome acc. Even going incognito fixes the site. Of course I'd love a way to clear it without the nuclear option...

PhistucK

Oct 27, 2016, 8:06:25 AM10/27/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Same results? A 301 redirection, or a 301 redirection that is not supposed to ever happen, not even on the first try? If the latter, it does not sound like a cache issue, the server just returns something else for you, it might have something to do with cookies (working in incognito indicates that), who knows.

PhistucK

Carl Whalley

Oct 27, 2016, 8:21:53 AM10/27/16
On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 1:06:25 PM UTC+1, PhistucK wrote:
Same results? A 301 redirection, or a 301 redirection that is not supposed to ever happen, not even on the first try? If the latter, it does not sound like a cache issue, the server just returns something else for you, it might have something to do with cookies (working in incognito indicates that), who knows.

It was exactly the same results - the 301 redirection that should never happen, proven by me either going incognito, browsing as guest or using any other acc apart from my live one.

Since I posted something else happened which is even weirder but probably gives a clue. The actual site is 6 months old. Whilst poking around the VM to try, I found an image from 12 months ago. Since then, I have changed my google password. So I spun that one up and was prompted to change my password so it could sync, as expected. I didn't do that,, instead I manually entered the URL in the address bar and all was well - I could click each link on the site and it behaved as normal, https:// and all. It was using a stale set of bookmarks & cache from 12 months ago. When I entered my current password, all the bookmarks updated to the current set as expected but then visiting the site went back to that damn 192.168.62.22 redirect. I'm assuming that test rules out local problems since it only became "corrupted" after the sync from remote?

PhistucK

Oct 27, 2016, 11:55:17 AM10/27/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
It sounds like an extension that you have installed that gets installed through Chrome Sync and is not available in incognito as long as you do not explicitly enable it.

PhistucK

Carl Whalley

Oct 28, 2016, 4:35:24 AM10/28/16

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 4:55:17 PM UTC+1, PhistucK wrote:
It sounds like an extension that you have installed that gets installed through Chrome Sync and is not available in incognito as long as you do not explicitly enable it.

Wow! You're a lifesaver - that never entered my head.  I sure do have a bunch of extensions, so I just disabled them and didn't even have to restart before visiting the site to find it worked fine. I'll try to find which it was now, but thanks again.