String object view in console

Sigfried Gold

Jul 28, 2017, 7:14:14 AM7/28/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Google just invited me to start a thread here if I've got ideas how to improve object (pre)view in the console. The new changes are great. What I've wished for for a long time is a less ugly view of String objects:

I mean, is showing me the character position of every character in my String really necessary?

Erik Luo

Aug 7, 2017, 12:36:11 PM8/7/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your suggestion! I believe there is an existing bug from others with the same concern about the preview for string objects.

http://crbug.com/567265

Please let me know if what you are suggesting is a different one. We usually know the primitive string value, and can show that instead of character by character, which I think Firefox does. I've worked on console formatting changes, but haven't gotten around to this one just yet. These posts, and star-ing crbug issues helps, please stay tuned.