This group seems dead - what are the alternatives

Morten Høgholm Pedersen

Jul 25, 2017, 4:41:12 AM7/25/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Considering the massive use of Chrome developer tools, this group seems pretty dead - not many answers to most questions and not a lot of activity.

Does anybody know any good alternatives except for stackoverflow?

/hoegge

PhistucK

Jul 25, 2017, 12:25:20 PM7/25/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
It does not seem dead at all to me, actually (and I do not have a better suggestion).

PhistucK

PhistucK

Jul 25, 2017, 12:29:55 PM7/25/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Do you have an unanswered question?
If you are referring to your feature request about source/source-mapped switching, I usually suggest to file it at crbug.com, but lately Kayce has been recommending people to suggest feature requests to the group first, to gauge interest, so I refrain from replying with my suggestion. However, crbug.com is still a good place for feature requests regardless of the interest of the group.

PhistucK

Andrey Sidorov

Jul 25, 2017, 8:37:40 PM7/25/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I do have - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-chrome-developer-tools/B2mHpmimlN4/65RrpkexAQAJ  :) ( but I don't have impression the group is dead )

I'll re-post my question here again:

What's the easiest way to programmatically open location in devtools source tab? ( ideally, reverse-source mapped or workspace-mapped )

I want to create extension that helps to navigate from dom element to source code that created the element ( react jsx, with the help of https://www.npmjs.com/package/babel-plugin-transform-react-jsx-source ) I already have this working very well in my setup ( clicking on the element opens file/line in Atom ) but this requires running local server passing messages to Atom, want to try to have it integrated with DevTools now.

PhistucK

Jul 26, 2017, 2:04:53 AM7/26/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Kayce Basques
I do not know, but maybe Kayce knows.

PhistucK

Kayce Basques

Jul 26, 2017, 5:38:52 PM7/26/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Sorry to hear that. I agree that it's kinda quiet, given the size of the DevTools user base.

This mailing list and Stack Overflow are the best channels, IMO, because they leave an archive of questions / answers that will hopefully help other people in the same boat.

I love to do community support work (it helps me write better docs) but unfortunately I'm split between a few projects. I'll see if I can free up time or if anyone else can help.

I'm open to ideas on how to encourage others to contribute more, too

Andrey Kosyakov

Jul 26, 2017, 5:57:30 PM7/26/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi Andrey,

chrome.devtools.panels.openResource() method should do what you need: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/devtools_panels#method-openResource

Best regards,
Andrey.

Morten Høgholm Pedersen

Jul 27, 2017, 5:42:50 AM7/27/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi again,

I was just surprised how little traffic there is here compared to how used the dev tools are. I will try to post the source-map feature request here or at crbug.

Thanks