When a new version of a script is loaded breakpoint are forgotten, this cost a lot of time even versions have very few changes

Bernard Tremblay

Jan 5, 2017, 1:26:23 PM1/5/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi,

When you need to perform some changes into your js code, there are three common issues :

  1. because of cache your changes doesn't appear
  2. if you changes the version (in php loader for example so that to be sure of getting new script), then, quite all debug context (except watch) are cleared
  3. occasionally (unusable) changes appear with same version name then you keep you debug context.

Most of time for very little changes you need a lot of time to be able to go on your debug process (when dynamical changes cannot be performed).

The ratio of time spent for one simple bad instruction to change is 1 to 100 (need 10mn to update and reset debug context for one little change)

Is it a way to keep the debug context when there are minor changes from the current version to the new version of a script (I have not found any option for this)

Best regards

Thanks

Trebly

PhistucK

Jan 5, 2017, 1:30:42 PM1/5/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
If the URL changes, the Developer Tools cannot know it is the same file.
(The normal way is to disable the cache completely using the Developer Tools option, but I understand it is a big hammer for you)
During development, you should switch to another way to make the script changes appear while still using the same URL, like disabling caching of certain URLs using some standard HTTP headers.

However, you can always file a feature request for specifying URL patterns to ignore when matching the old script to the new script, for example.
Generally, for feature requests, you can search crbug.com for an existing issue for this feature request and star it. If you cannot find one, you can use the "New issue" link at crbug.com to file a new one.
(If you do find one, do not add comment like +1 or "me, too", it only hinders the development and it does not make the engineers implement the feature more quickly.)

PhistucK

Bernard Tremblay

Jan 10, 2017, 8:11:48 PM1/10/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi,
Sorry, I told  "new version of a script", The same url reload but after just changed little things into a large js file.
Because of cache the lonely way (using wordpress) to force the load of the modified script is to use the  query ?ver=<module version> into the src attribute in tag <script... ></script>
like :
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://voirautrem...functions.js?ver=F2-1c1ek9-b70106"></script>

Currently when "ver"(version) changes with exactly the same for the whole url the breakpoints are deleted.

I request, but Chrome development seems completely unreachable in a structured way (while I participate to several important developments), to have in a future version the option :

don't clear automatically breakpoints when version of scripts changes

Best regards

Trebly

PhistucK

Jan 11, 2017, 1:40:54 AM1/11/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
The query string is one of the parts of a URL, if you change it, it is not the same URL.

I request, but Chrome development seems completely unreachable in a structured way (while I participate to several important developments), to have in a future version the option :
Please, use crbug.com for that, as I suggested.

PhistucK