"Map to File System Resources" option missing from pop-up window

Tom Himsworth

Mar 25, 2015, 4:08:37 PM3/25/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to set up my DevTools workspace so that I can save changes directly to my site files, but I am having issues. I am assuming the "Map to File System Resources" is the function that I need for this to be successful, however the option does not appear when I right click a file in my sources tab. Has anyone else had this issue and can help?

Andrey Lushnikov

Mar 30, 2015, 5:39:42 AM3/30/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Have you added the file system to the DevTools first?
FYI: a getting-started with workspaces: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/workspaces

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:08 PM Tom Himsworth <tomhim...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to set up my DevTools workspace so that I can save changes directly to my site files, but I am having issues. I am assuming the "Map to File System Resources" is the function that I need for this to be successful, however the option does not appear when I right click a file in my sources tab. Has anyone else had this issue and can help?

lr

Jan 4, 2018, 5:11:28 AM1/4/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

@OP Did you ever solve it?

@Andrey, I've added the folder to file system and it's showing.

It used to work before and I've used this feature a lot in the past. I'm coming back to it after a long time and it's suddenly not seem to be working anymore... the "Map to File System Resource..." option has disappeared

Nico Pernice

Jan 4, 2018, 2:29:15 PM1/4/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
As of Chrome Version 63.0.3239.108

The feature appears to be still broken, however adding a folder that reflects the resource's URL as seen in the Network tab, make it work again. So if for instance, in the Network Navigator tab you have:

http://mylocal.site/wp-content/themes/mytheme/assets/sass/partials/_header.scss

You will just need to add the whole wp-content/ folder to the Filesystem tab to get it correctly mapped.

Iori Tatsuguchi

Mar 19, 2018, 3:27:14 AM3/19/18
to Chrome DevTools
I've been looking for solution for months and finally I found one at stackoverflow!
(In my case at least, ) it's about difference in timestamp on local file vs server file.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/48440544/2626666
Turned out that Google Chrome also checks and compares the last modified date of your files.
If the file on the server has a more recent date than your local copy, this file won't be mapped.

So in the end, the required step for using Chrome continuity is:
  1. Add working folder to "workspace" on Chrome
  2. "Map to File System Resources" is not needed in first place since some update, so skip this
  3. Make sure your file at workspace and webserver has the same "last modified date"
  4. Chrome will automatically recognize pairs of files
It wasn't problem for me when I was uploading file by FTP client (Filezilla), because it always made sure for the both files at local and server to have the exact same timestamp. However when I used other application to upload (for example in my case, using SFTP extension on Sublime Text 2), local file had the last time I saved the edit while server file had the last time it's uploaded.

So to check if yours are the same case as mine:

-Use FTP client to see last-modified date side by side
-Or use explorer/finder to check local file's last-modified date, and use devtool to check file on server (Network > somefile > Headers > Response Headers > Last-Modified)

And if those timestamps are not exactly the same, you'll have to figure out some way for them to have the same. Otherwise.. it might be different problem.

Michael Daumling

Mar 19, 2018, 7:42:43 AM3/19/18
to Chrome DevTools
Well, that explains why a local server works just fine!

I am using NetBeans, and NetBeans's FTP client does not keep the time stamps, unfortunately.

Thank you for the finding!

It does not fix the core problem, however. Workspaces 2.0 is definitely a huge step backwards if time stamps are used instead of paths to match files.

James Monroe

Apr 6, 2018, 6:13:30 AM4/6/18
to Chrome DevTools
Correcting timestamps didn't fix it for me. Workspaces 2.0 is a great idea but, without any documentation and no way to continue using the old method if the new one fails, it has turned into a massive headache with no resolution or workaround. There are numerous bug reports for this exact issue and they just get bundled to other issues that are similarly worthless. At this point, adding back the option to switch to the old method would be greatly appreciated if there is no effort being made to actually fix the new one.

C.J. Ware

Apr 13, 2018, 4:11:18 AM4/13/18
to Chrome DevTools
Google decided that their automatic file mapping was so cool that they removed the manual option. That would be great if the automatic mapping worked, but it doesn't. At least not for me. I've wasted an absurd amount of time trying to get this to work and now I'm back to just copy and paste into ST3. So stupid.

Kayce Basques

Apr 13, 2018, 1:36:23 PM4/13/18
to Chrome DevTools
Is Local Overrides a viable workaround?

C.J. Ware

Apr 13, 2018, 2:50:28 PM4/13/18
to Chrome DevTools
No. It won't save to a scss file, only css. Plus it saves everything all the time and it's hard to clear out. The settings have to be manually changed for each site I'm working on, etc. etc. It's totally confusing. Workspaces worked great back in v60 or so, but now they don't work for me at all.

Why not have an option for manual file mapping?

Pierre-Luc Pepin

Apr 20, 2018, 3:42:09 PM4/20/18
to Chrome DevTools
Hey C.J.,

I got it to work by replicating the same folder structure as of the url. Got this from stackoverflow, 5th reply. I don't know if its with the combination of lori's solution or not that made it work for me. Hope it'll work for you also

Pierre-Luc Pepin

Apr 20, 2018, 3:50:29 PM4/20/18
to Chrome DevTools
Forgot to give an example. Had a file, style.css. The remote version was http://mysite.com/dev/newsite/style.css. Then on my pc I have the same dev/newsite/style.css. It worked once I added the parent "dev" folder to the workspace. Initially tried just to have style.css in dev directly and that didn't work for me

Pierre-Luc Pepin

Apr 20, 2018, 4:37:27 PM4/20/18
to Chrome DevTools
one more update! lol When I make a change and refresh the page, the filesize also changes and appears to be problem also. My work around was to make sure that while preserving timestamps I also transfer in binary (Filezilla) to have the file size both the same on both sides. After I make a change and refresh the page I'm forced to ALSO upload the file again.. not sure its the optimal workflow for developers but it keeps me working using the workspace technology.