Workspaces no longer mapped to JS file, using VM###file.js instead

tom.w...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2014, 12:31:38 PM2/7/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Workspaces successfully on a project for a few weeks now and have been loving it, until....

All of the sudden, I'm not longer able to make live changes to JS files - even files that I had been making live changes on previously. When I put console.log statements in the JS files, I see that Chrome is using a copy of the JS file because the console shows the log statement occurs on a line in VM###file.js.

Here's what I've tried, none have worked.

  1. Close, re-open Chrome, Developer tools.
  2. Empty cache and hard reload
  3. Reboot machine
  4. Delete the workspace
  5. Delete Chrome user profile (I use a dummy profile for testing) and then try w a new, empty profile
  6. Uninstall/reinstall chrome
Steps 4, 5, and 6 required recreating the workspace.

FYI - I can still make live changes to CSS files in the workspace. Also, It seems to be only an issue w/ this particular workspace. I had another workspace (before deleting the user profile) that was still working.

Chrome Version 32.0.1700.107 m

Thanks,

Tom

John J Barton

Feb 7, 2014, 1:18:01 PM2/7/14
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Tom,
are you using sourcemaps?
do you have more than one directory mapped in your workspace?
(This happens so much for me I gave up on workspaces, which is a real shame when it works its awesome).
jjb

Tom Wayson

Feb 7, 2014, 1:24:38 PM2/7/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
No sourcemaps, and only one directory mapped under the workspace - the root.

Seems like the workspace is corrupted somehow. When I nuke the profile and recreate, it works for a while, until I load the up the file that I first noticed having the issues with. Then it no longer works with other JS files in the workspace. I have to remove the workspace now if I want to be able to use breakpoints or console log at all (forget about making live updates to the files).

At this point, I'm giving up too. I've sunk a couple of hours into troubleshooting this, which is starting to overshadow the productivity benefits I was seeing when it was working over the last couple of weeks. I agree that it's a real shame, b/c when It works, it's awesome.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

Tom Wayson
Phone: 714-900-3GIS
Skype: tom.wayson

martin...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2014, 5:17:35 AM2/28/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
How do you nuke the profile?

PhistucK

Feb 28, 2014, 5:38:08 AM2/28/14
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Note that it will delete your entire history, passwords, extensions, settings and anything else (unless you have enabled Chrome Sync for all of these and then some may come back).

Try going to chrome://settings/ and click on "Delete this user".

PhistucK

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/ff1e05da-8abf-4b12-9ab9-3cf1e805d7a6%40googlegroups.com.

Gerard Carbo

Oct 13, 2016, 1:05:56 AM10/13/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi Tom, going to DevTools Setting -> Preferences -> Restore Defaults and Reload did the trick for me.

El divendres, 7 febrer de 2014 19:24:38 UTC+1, Tom Wayson va escriure: