DevTools 'Log XMLHttpRequests' should log cancelled XHRs due timeout

Raphael DDL Oliveira

Jun 16, 2015, 2:07:22 AM6/16/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

I'd like to make a suggest on the feature "Log XMLHttpRequests".

Currently when you have it on and a XHR is successful, we see on console:

> XHR finished loading: [METHOD] "[url of the xhr]".

Same happens when error happens:

> [METHOD] [url of the xhr] [response status] ([response status description])

That's great. But it does not cover timed out requests when they are cancelled by xhr after timeout elapsed.
Today I was trying to debug an error and I was expecting for the XHR but it never appeared. So I went on Network tab and it had status as "(cancelled)" with time as 10.0s, which was my code's timeout setting.

So that's the suggestion. I guess would be helpful to show timed out XHRs the same way as error ones.
Because in anyway, it is an error (I mean, would trigger xhr's error handler/callback). Example message:

> POST http://www.google.com/some/api cancelled (XHR Timeout 10.0s)

Nor Stable nor Canary shows that so that's why I made this suggestion post.

Let me know your thoughts!
Thank you

Regards,
RaphaelDDL

PhistucK

Jun 16, 2015, 2:10:58 AM6/16/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Sounds very reasonable and probably an oversight. You can file this feature request (if you cannot find one already) at crbug.com.

PhistucK

Raphael DDL Oliveira

Jun 16, 2015, 2:42:39 PM6/16/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I've searched there before posting here.
I thought there was only Bug tracker, not covering feature request, that's why I posted here :P

Thanks!

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Raphael DDL Oliveira <rapha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello there,

I'd like to make a suggest on the feature "Log XMLHttpRequests".

Currently when you have it on and a XHR is successful, we see on console:

> XHR finished loading: [METHOD] "[url of the xhr]".

Same happens when error happens:

> [METHOD] [url of the xhr] [response status] ([response status description])

That's great. But it does not cover timed out requests when they are cancelled by xhr after timeout elapsed.
Today I was trying to debug an error and I was expecting for the XHR but it never appeared. So I went on Network tab and it had status as "(cancelled)" with time as 10.0s, which was my code's timeout setting.

So that's the suggestion. I guess would be helpful to show timed out XHRs the same way as error ones.
Because in anyway, it is an error (I mean, would trigger xhr's error handler/callback). Example message:

> POST http://www.google.com/some/api cancelled (XHR Timeout 10.0s)

Nor Stable nor Canary shows that so that's why I made this suggestion post.

Let me know your thoughts!
Thank you

Regards,
RaphaelDDL