Chrome 63 has broken workspaces

Tarik Causevic

Dec 14, 2017, 2:26:30 AM12/14/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Greetings everyone.

From my searches, this does not seem to be an issue that anyone else is facing which makes it that more perplexing. After updating to v63 my existing workspaces were removed and adding new ones simply does not work.

After adding a folder to workspaces the regular way or by drag-dropping it into devtools Chrome asks for permissions as before, I allow, refresh the website and can map resources. This was the entire procedure before, the folder would be active and I could make use of the full glory of workspaces. After v63 the folder does not get added (it does show up under Filesystem), but I cannot map resources and they do not get mapped automatically (per the video showcasing Workspaces 2.0). The option to add a folder to workspaces is still there as if I did not add a folder at all, the folder does shows up in settings, everything seems fine, but no file can be mapped to local resources.

Going back to Chrome 62 makes workspaces work just as before which means that either there is something about Workspaces 2.0 I am not getting or there are some bugs going on.

I would love any advice, even where to start debugging an issue like this, I did not debug Chrome before and do not know even where to begin.

Thanks

Pavel Feldman

Dec 14, 2017, 11:40:39 AM12/14/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I hope we can debug it with your help. Let us get back to you over email with questions about your configuration.

Michael Moore

Dec 15, 2017, 12:25:51 PM12/15/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I am experiencing the exact same problem as described in the first post of this thread. Please contact me as well to attempt to resolve this.

szymom sznajder

Dec 18, 2017, 5:32:14 AM12/18/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

Hi

Finally someone has the same problem.. I need to downgrate teh Chrome to make the Mapping work. I have the same issue the folder where my file are on the system is added but is in strange grey color.    Please contact me as well to help!

Christian Bieser

Dec 22, 2017, 11:45:07 AM12/22/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I have the same problem. In the chromium-dev-tools bugtracker I had already seen a few tickets but unfortunately no solution.

Kayce Basques

Jan 2, 2018, 3:59:00 PM1/2/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I think the option to manually map resources was removed because Workspaces 2.0 supposedly handles it automatically. But maybe there are edge cases that aren't being handled properly.

A grey folder or file means that that folder or file is not mapped to a network resource. Which isn't necessarily a bug. For example, if I have logo.png in my local files, but that file isn't used by the page that I'm currently visiting, then logo.png will be grey.

Kayce Basques

Jan 2, 2018, 3:59:57 PM1/2/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
If you all have repositories where we can reproduce the issue, or if you can just send a video of the problem you're experiencing, that'll help the team debug the issue.

Kayce Basques

Jan 2, 2018, 4:56:08 PM1/2/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

Nico Pernice

Jan 4, 2018, 2:29:15 PM1/4/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

As of today, with Chrome Version 63.0.3239.108 (Official Build) (64-bit):

The feature appears to be still broken, not working 'automagically' nor consistently with the previous behavior.

However, adding a folder that reflects the resource's URL as seen in the Network tab, make it work again. So if for instance, in the Network Navigator tab you have:

http://mylocal.site/wp-content/themes/mytheme/assets/sass/partials/_header.scss

You will just need to add the whole wp-content/ folder to the Filesystem tab to get the feature work again as expected.

Kayce Basques

Jan 4, 2018, 5:54:22 PM1/4/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Thanks, Nico. That's helpful info.

Richard Barraclough

Jan 10, 2018, 2:53:27 AM1/10/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Same problem here. "Map to File System Resource..." is missing and nothing is happening.

I see grey and purple icons, and the css file I want to map is purple, but the changes to the local file aren't in the page when I refresh it.

Seems that Chrome workspaces are broken and shall remain so indeffinitely

Am looking into Telerik Fiddler as an alternative. https://www.telerik.com/fiddler

Michael Daumling

Jan 11, 2018, 6:10:14 AM1/11/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Same here. I followed all hints (cache max-age=0, added the same folder), no joy. Only a few files are mapped.Makes it impossible to work with workspaces.

Kayce Basques

Jan 11, 2018, 3:02:17 PM1/11/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
As I mentioned in my earlier post, Workspaces 2.0 was supposed to handle mappings automatically, and the "Map To File System Resource" option was intentionally removed. But obviously, that's not working as well as expected. The team is looking into it. Sorry for the hassle!

Michael Daumling

Jan 17, 2018, 7:40:08 AM1/17/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Additional note:Out of despair, I installed the Bitnami nginx stack on Windows 10, and yes, my project auto-maps again when run with a local server. Not preferable, but works.

Randy Wehrs

Jan 17, 2018, 12:24:40 PM1/17/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
The manual file mapping feature improves workflow drastically for a lot of people, please bring it back!

"Automagic" (reminiscent of MS Wizards :p) is a great concept, but I think it's important to also accommodate folks who don't have perfect development environments on servers, or the need to make complex changes to multiple files on a branch.

Thanks for your work on this, Workspaces are a fantastic concept.

Paul Barnhill

Feb 1, 2018, 1:21:37 AM2/1/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Why did you guys disable the manual mapping? In a perfect world we could have automatic for 90% of use cases, then just manually map any problem files. Now, that's not possible and I have to downgrade to 62 or find an alternative.

Also, the documentation says nothing about the new automagic: https://developers.google.com/web/tools/setup/setup-workflow

Mark Oxley

Feb 19, 2018, 6:07:05 AM2/19/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Am I right in thinking this is still not fixed in chrome 64? I still cannot map and mappings are not happening automatically, same problem as everyone else.

stefan...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2018, 4:32:00 PM2/20/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I intended to map between a remote source and my local version regarding a css-file. This already was a  tricky to accieve in the past, but is now   plain impossible to do. A big loss!  For my use-cases this is a nightmare. I will strongly consider to downgrade Chrome to  the 62 version.   Which version is the latest version with crome having the 'manual mapping' still enabled?

James Monroe

Apr 6, 2018, 6:13:30 AM4/6/18
to Chrome DevTools
You are correct. It's also not fixed in 65 nor in the 66 beta.

Kayce Basques

Apr 13, 2018, 1:49:14 PM4/13/18
to Chrome DevTools
Are Local Overrides a viable replacement workflow for any of you?

Shadow Lynx

Apr 20, 2018, 9:32:33 AM4/20/18
to Chrome DevTools
That's a good feature, but not really the same thing at all.

Back to workspace mapping, it's actually working for me most of the time using a local IIS web server, but every few saves and page refreshes results in the script or CSS file I'm working on to suddenly "disconnect" from the workspace.  It's not horrid because I can still edit, save and refresh, but to set breakpoints, I have to switch over from the Filesystem version to the Network version, which is annoying, to say the least.  And if I forget to switch back and start making changes to the Network version of a file, I might lose my changes.

Here's the screwiest part: refreshing (not even with shift+refresh) doesn't fix the issue, but closing/opening Dev Tools (or closing/opening the entire tab or window, of course) does fix the issue, every time.  Obviously, that's a poor workaround, but at least it's something.  Perhaps this will give Chrome devs a clue as to why the workspace link is breaking (and it generally only breaks on a file I'm working on and frequently saving changes to.)

I love the feature, and it's still usable for me, but definitely flaky as hell and the issue is easily reproducible for me, although I haven't nailed down exactly how many save/refresh cycles it takes or anything.  I'll report back if I notice a problem.  And if I'm being a lazy bastard by not posting this where I should (if Chrome devs don't see this [Kayce, I'm assuming you're one, but I shouldn't make assumptions just because your profile says "Google"]), then please feel free to yell at me.

Thanks,
- John

Michael Daumling

Apr 20, 2018, 10:44:47 AM4/20/18
to Chrome DevTools
It is definitely not the same; au contraire, it is very confusing. I can never tell whether a file is locally overridden, or the original local file, or a file from the server.

From what I am experiencing, it is the time stamps. I don't know how time stamps play a role with the mapping, but as soon as the time on the server differs by just a tick from my PC, the mapping breaks. Therefore, the mapping is just fine as long as I work with a local server. As soon as I upload my file (JS/CSS etc) to a server, the mapping goes away; well, sometimes, a single file keeps the mapping.

And using an FTP client like Filezilla, which is supposed to keep the time stamps, does not help. I use Netbeans for my work, and the built-in FTP client does not keep the time stamp either, as far as I see.

Benny Karlson

May 18, 2018, 5:53:32 AM5/18/18
to Chrome DevTools
Exactly same problem in Chrome 67 and 68: cannot get mapping work in any configuration. I removed ?cache-busting in urls, uploaded non-minified versions, renamed whole local folder tree to match path on the webserver, and yet -- all "mapped" folders are greyed-out and nothing is mapped.

With no manual option to map (and "automagic" failing in such simple and common scenario) i'm not even sure who can use Devtools mapping now?

James Monroe

Jul 30, 2018, 7:19:15 PM7/30/18
to Chrome DevTools
So it looks like some documentation was finally updated for workspaces 2.0. Lo and behold, the documentation seems to require that the site be locally served for the auto-magic method to map correctly. What strikes me as odd is that the persistence 2.0 experiment actually DID work with remote sites but as soon as workspaces 2.0 came out (in 63) it hasn't mapped except in very random cases (absolutely no reproducability that I could see) and only until my local file changed.

The use case I have for this is a shared development site has a theme. The theme is a git project that myself and a number of developers coordinate on. Prior to 63 we could all work on our local branch and map the remote resources to our local system to develop and test changes. This also made it simple to test changes against one of our production sites right before rolling out the latest release. We'd all love to see this feature return to supporting mapping remotely hosted files to local files...