JS scripts not loading in the Sources window

Xuanah

Aug 29, 2012, 11:05:47 AM8/29/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been using Chrome to debug my app as I develop it, but since I came from vacation I'm having serious issues with the sources list. I can see all the files but, if I open any of the .js scripts, the script window is blank.

Everything works as expected right after restarting the browser, but after the first page reload everything goes blank. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vsevolod Vlasov

Aug 29, 2012, 11:09:20 AM8/29/12
to Xuanah, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Which version of Google Chrome are you using?
Does it happen on all sites or in your project only?
Can you provide an example url ?

Thank you
--
Thank you,
Vsevolod Vlasov (vse...@google.com)

Xuanah

Aug 29, 2012, 11:16:29 AM8/29/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Xuanah
Hi, I'm using version 23.0.1246.0. It doesn't seem to happen in any site except my own, and unfortunately mine is stored locally so I can't provide a URL.

It's like developing in the far end of a cave. The only thing I know is that it was working in the beginning of the month and now it's not. My work scenario is exactly the same, nothing was changed, so I assume it's something to do with Chrome itself. Can't tell what exactly though.

Thanks for the availability :)

Vsevolod Vlasov

Aug 29, 2012, 11:23:22 AM8/29/12
to Xuanah, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Could you try looking for console errors DevTools on DevTools? (You could open DevTools on DevTools with Ctrl-Shift-I or other shortcut when devtools are in undocked mode.)
Also a screenshot might help.

xua...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2012, 11:39:20 AM8/29/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Xuanah
I have 4 errors, but they are related to the framework (a few GUI files missing, and they have been popping up since I started the project).

I took a screenshot, but it doesn't show much... It's simple one of the scripts open for editing... looking empty, as they have been for the last few days. This script in particular has 111 lines of code. And it is running, as all the others. Just not available for edit/debug.
source.jpg

Vsevolod Vlasov

Aug 29, 2012, 12:05:56 PM8/29/12
to xua...@gmail.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
> I have 4 errors, but they are related to the framework (a few GUI files missing, and they have been popping up since I started the project).
These are the console errors shown in the DevTools for you page.
DevTools itself acts like a web application so opening a DevTools for DevTools can show the errors happening inside the DevTools.
See a line from my previous message below for instructions on how to open it.

Could you try looking for console errors DevTools on DevTools? (You could open DevTools on DevTools with Ctrl-Shift-I or other shortcut when devtools are in undocked mode.)

Xuanah

Aug 29, 2012, 12:19:10 PM8/29/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, xua...@gmail.com
Sorry, I really didn't understand what you meant.

DevTools on DevTools is not reporting any errors nor warnings. Also, from time to time all starts working as expected for a while. And then it goes back to this weird state.

Vsevolod Vlasov

Aug 29, 2012, 12:25:59 PM8/29/12
to Xuanah, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea what might be a reason, so some more questions:

Is that Timer.js script added with a <script> tag or an eval with sourceURL?
Are you sure this script is served from the server correctly? can you see it in the network panel?
Could you try adding console.error or  debugger; statements in your script to see what happens?
Can you try making a reduced test case for this problem?

xua...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2012, 12:28:29 PM8/29/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, xua...@gmail.com
I just realized that if I have DevTools undocked I only need to close and reopen them. That seems to refresh the content. It doesn't work if they are docked, though.

Thanks very much for your time, Vsevolod. I can work like this for now :)

xua...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2012, 12:46:00 PM8/29/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Xuanah
Sorry, I replied before I saw your post.

I'm not sure how the script is added, that is managed by the framework I'm using, and I don't know how it works, to be honest.
I can see my script in the network panel, and I know it's served properly because it runs as expected. If I add a debugger and a console.log, they work. The script pauses on the debugger (although it's still blank) and the log shows on the console.

I'm pretty sure it's only a window refresh issue, because everything else is ok. Thanks again!

soman...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2012, 11:04:15 AM9/2/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Xuanah
Same is the problem, I am facing, I have many js scripts and when I refresh my (localhost) page, ( chrome dev tools being docked), sometimes it does not show few of my js files and sometimes it does.

Going to try the approach of undocking and debuging.

soman...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2012, 11:12:18 AM9/2/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Xuanah, soman...@gmail.com
Undocking dev tools window did not help,

I have attached both the images and let's hope anybody here can help.

nojs.jpg: (how to simulate) : first press ctrl+shift+i , which opens google dev tools. then refresh local html page and Desired script (dashboardreports.js) does not show up.
withjs.jpg : (how to simulate) : first open local html page, and then press ctrl+shift+i, which opens google dev tools. Desired script (dashboardreports.js) does show up.

nojs.jpg
withjs.jpg

xua...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2012, 6:36:38 AM9/3/12
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Xuanah, soman...@gmail.com
So when you refresh the page, the .js tab disappears? That happens to me every time I refresh. What you need to do is open the Sources list, find the .js file and open it.

Soman Dubey

Sep 3, 2012, 11:53:48 AM9/3/12
to xua...@gmail.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
It does not work for me. I wanted to debug the js file and debug is possible only when

1. first you open dev tools (ctrl+shift+I) then refresh the page and then only you can debug the page ( which does not show desired JS file.)

2. alternatively opening first page (by refreshing or fresh window) and then opening  dev tools (ctrl+shift+I)  does shows desired js file but does not allow for debugging.

Vsevolod Vlasov

Sep 6, 2012, 1:17:03 PM9/6/12
to Soman Dubey, xua...@gmail.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
FYI I investigated filed https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=146823 for this issue (blank script tab).

Soman Dubey

Sep 12, 2012, 5:04:40 AM9/12/12
to Vsevolod Vlasov, xua...@gmail.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vsevolod,

Tracking this issue now.

pella...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2013, 1:41:55 PM10/30/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, xua...@gmail.com
I was having the same problem. I just found a small button (a rt pointing arrow button) at the top left of my dev tools frame (which I can't figure out how to un-dock BTW). But, when I click that arrow a file tree of sources appears that includes my .js files. When I click the .js that disappeared it then appears under the resources tab. I don't know if this would help you but I thought I'd mention. Regards, Ray

Vsevolod Vlasov

Oct 31, 2013, 6:35:57 AM10/31/13
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Joana Lourinho Gomes
Hello Ray,

I don't really follow your report but this sounds like a bug.
Could you please file a new bug on http://crbug.com/new and describe detailed steps of this scenario?

Thank you, Vsevolod

hen...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2014, 9:50:55 AM1/24/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, xua...@gmail.com
I'm having the same problem with the project I'm currently working on. Changed branch and the sources are not appearing. With Crtl + O the sources appeared in the list but I couldn't open them
What I did was change the dev tools settings in Sources (enabled "Search in content scripts" and disabled "Enable JS source maps"). Now, the sources aren't appearing either but, when I ctrl+O and select a source, it opens and the sources list is populated on the left and I can go from there.
It's not nice but is a solution. Hope it helps

(Chrome Version 31)

Vsevolod Vlasov

Jan 29, 2014, 10:09:03 AM1/29/14
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Joana Lourinho Gomes
Could you please file a bug and describe what you see step by step there?

john.a...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 3:43:33 PM2/11/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Joana Lourinho Gomes
We're having the same issue.

We use an absolute path on the server to reference our scripts and use the Visual Studio Web Essentials plugin to bundle scripts. This may be a Web Essentials Plugin issue. It appears that Chrome attempts the find the file you specified.

Here's a snippet of our .bundle file inside of a stand alone assets project.
<file>/v1/src/js/libs/jquery/jquery-1.9.1.js</file>
<file>/v1/src/js/libs/jquery/jquery.maskedinput-1.3.1.js</file>

Chrome Dev Tools sees this source map file, but when I click to open in a new tab it uses this url

But the actual path of this file is

The Web Essentials .js.map file shows sources as
"sources":["/v1/src/js/libs/jquery/jquery-1.9.1.js", ...

I can manually edit the .js.map file to include the /assets absolute path and I can then see the contents of the file.
"sources":["/assets/v1/src/js/libs/jquery/jquery-1.9.1.js", ...

I've attached a screenshot with the results of the manually edited .js.map file and one of the same file with the incorrect 'source' entry

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:05:47 PM UTC+1, Xuanah wrote:
Hello,

I've been using Chrome to debug my app as I develop it, but since I came from vacation I'm having serious issues with the sources list. I can see all the files but, if I open any of the .js scripts, the script window is blank.

Everything works as expected right after restarting the browser, but after the first page reload everything goes blank. Any ideas?

Thanks!

sourcemap.png

john.a...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 3:44:33 PM2/11/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Joana Lourinho Gomes, john.a...@gmail.com
The error sourcemap file I mentioned in my previous email.
sourcemap-fail.png

john.a...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 3:52:11 PM2/11/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Joana Lourinho Gomes, john.a...@gmail.com

PhistucK

Feb 11, 2014, 3:52:47 PM2/11/14
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Joana Lourinho Gomes
No Chrome issue here, the path is wrong in the source map file.

PhistucK

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/80dacc8e-b87f-4125-b090-b1a4a63e63d3%40googlegroups.com.

john.a...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2014, 5:20:25 PM2/13/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Joana Lourinho Gomes
I was able to resolve this issue by changing the absolute path to a relative path.

In our case:
/v1/src/js/libs/jquery/jquery-1.9.1.js
../v1/src/js/libs/jquery/jquery-1.9.1.js

It looks like scripts kept in a separate project should use relative paths in the .bundle file.

Was others with this issue using Web Essentials with scripts in a separate project?

PhistucK

dra...@sobot.biz

Dec 4, 2014, 6:17:42 AM12/4/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, xua...@gmail.com
I have the same problem.
This started aprox one month ago.
The only solution for this as I found is to re install chrome browser.
Anyway, after few days again not working.
For example I have reinstalled chrome 1 week ago and just now I can not view my JS files in source tab in a chrome console.

Andrey Lushnikov

Dec 4, 2014, 7:02:30 AM12/4/14
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, xua...@gmail.com
Please file a bug on crbug.com/new and post a link here.

Steven Fisher

Feb 28, 2016, 4:10:19 PM2/28/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, xua...@gmail.com
I had a similar issue developing an Angular app. Some files would show up, some wouldn't.

Turns out my issue was fixed by changing the URL when debugging my page.

Not working:

localhost/appfoldername#/home

Working:

localhost/appfoldername/#/home

Steve

Aniket Pawar

Mar 19, 2016, 3:07:14 PM3/19/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, xua...@gmail.com
Hi

I faced the similar Issue  on 03/18/2016
Win 7 49.0.2623.87 (64 bit)
But what I realized was that now the developer tools have gotten better in the sense that they will show you a proper hierarchy of of all frames nested within each other and i had to browse as per the actual structure of the page and found out all my scripts

Message has been deleted

Pysis

May 23, 2016, 2:57:39 PM5/23/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, xua...@gmail.com
This workaround worked for me.  Still a bug I would consider in Chrome's DevTools, leaving to be fixed.

MiKe QZ

PhistucK

Feb 11, 2017, 9:09:08 AM2/11/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Joana Lourinho Gomes
I experienced the same issue, though I have not tested Chrome 56 yet.

PhistucK

davis...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 5:23:09 AM4/3/18
to Chrome DevTools

Chrome Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)
I've similar issue where .js file is not visible at all.
'Console' tab is neither showing any result nor any error