Why doesn't the webpage update upon execution of commands when debugging?

Abhi Sundu

Aug 14, 2017, 4:35:01 PM8/14/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi all,

Up until ~1 week ago, I was able to put breakpoints in javascript canvas painting code, and when I stepped through the different painting functions, the webpage would update with each step.

For example, if I put a breakpoint in part of the code where a canvas was cleared and then a line was painted, and I stepped through it, the webpage would show each action as I stepped.
So after stepping past the line that clears the canvas, the canvas would be cleared on the webpage.

Furthermore, I used to be able to run commands in the command window during a pause, and those commands would be reflected in the webpage.

But now, when I do the above, nothing happens until after everything is unpaused. In the above example, the webpage would not update the canvas until AFTER I hit F8, and then it would be as if every command were run immediately instead of occurring with each step.

This only started happening to me recently, after what seems like an update. Is there any way to restore the above functionality?

Thanks

Kayce Basques

Aug 15, 2017, 12:27:27 PM8/15/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Sounds like a bug. Can you file a report at https://crbug.com with steps to reproduce?

If you can link to the page, that'll help resolve the issue faster. Else, providing some sample code that demonstrates the issue also works.