[Feature Request] Option to disable cache for certain file types

James O'Sullivan

Apr 20, 2017, 10:15:56 AM4/20/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi,

We we're just discussing caching in our office and it occurred to us that on our dev machines we must download so much extra content from our CDN due to the 'disable cache' option in DevTools.

What would be really useful for performance when developing would be the option to selectively disable cache by file type.

Say for example you we're debugging Javascript on an image heavy website (like ours), every time you refresh the page you remotely re-download every image, css file, etc.. when all you want is the updated JS file.  The rest can come from cache for all you care.

As the  'disable cache' option remains checked just by general navigation of the development/QA/live version of your website can slow you down.  By being able to specify 'only disable cache for JS and CSS' for example you're reducing the amount requests you're making.

I suggest by filetype masks (Example '*.js') so that it's more flexible.
Or perhaps by the same options on the filter:

Just an idea to help speed up development especially on slow connections.

Thanks

PhistucK

Apr 20, 2017, 1:00:07 PM4/20/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Generally, for feature requests, you can search crbug.com for an existing issue for this feature request and star it. If you cannot find one, you can use the "New issue" link at crbug.com to file a new one.
(If you do find one, do not add comments like "+1" or "me, too", it only hinders the development and it does not make the engineers implement the feature more quickly.)

PhistucK