Network Throttling - question on Chrome definition of Regular/Good 2G/3G etc

arun prasad

Dec 21, 2015, 9:33:11 AM12/21/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Greetings!

1. Where are the definitions for the network throttling elements taken from? In other words what is the basis of claiming that for example --> Good 3G is 750 KB/s. Same question on the other elements of the Network Throttling drop down.

2. Should the above definitions be region-wise? Sorry if my question is seemingly insensible. Let me explain: I created a website for India consumers based on the above definitions. Now my business sponsor came hard on me saying that my understanding of good/regular 2G/3G speeds is woefully out of sync with ground reality. Now I am in a big soup :-) He says that I should have targeted a much stringent page-weight for my website pages.

3. Also I read KB as KiloByte (and not Kilo-bit). Is my understanding correct?

Regards,
Arun

PhistucK

Dec 21, 2015, 9:37:12 AM12/21/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
1. Probably the speeds used in United States. ;)
(Within the range the standard dictates, obviously)

2. Probably too much data, so you should research and add your customized speeds.

3. After testing, it takes about 8 seconds for "50kb" to download 50 kilobytes, so the unit is kilobit, megabit and so on.

PhistucK