What is debugger:// in the Chrome Network Dev Tools?

B Cham

Oct 5, 2017, 5:28:00 PM10/5/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I would love some help from the dev tools experts here. I have found several crawl errors in search console which attach suffixes to our regular URLs causing Google to flag them as a crawl error.

For example, our regular URL is http://www.url.com/article/. Google Search console has found that the regular URL links to http://www.url.com/article/slot-parser which comes up as a 404 error and a crawl error.

I need to find where this URL is coming from and am looking in Google Chrome dev tools. I loaded the regular URL and went into Dev Tools. Then, I turned on Search All Files and put in "slot-parser". It found this URL: debugger:///VM80992 - Could someone please tell me what this means? Also, is there a better way of finding what script is causing the 404 URL? Is there a better tool than Google Chrome dev tools?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Bruce

PhistucK

Oct 5, 2017, 5:32:09 PM10/5/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
VM###... scripts denote code that was dynamically generated and run. For example, using eval(string), setTimeout(stringToRun, 10), new Function(string, string) and so on.

PhistucK

Kayce Basques

Jan 3, 2018, 5:47:36 PM1/3/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
1. Open DevTools.
1. Click the Network tab.
1. Reload the page. You should see all of the resources that the page requested.
1. Find the request for .../slot-parser.
1. Check the Initiator column. This tells you what made the page request the resource.