Memory leak in chrome 57 and beta 58

Anand Raj

Apr 18, 2017, 7:41:50 AM4/18/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

I am using 58 beta version now. I can see memory leak when updating SVG elements inside DOM for every 500 milliseconds. Eventually after 3 hours, memory consumption reaches more than 800MB and the page becomes unresponsive. I am attaching an image of profiled snapshot

Memory usage details in task manager is shown in below screenshot

Note: For the same action, IE and Firefox does not consume more than 120MB memory. Chrome 53 takes around 120MB too but in 57 stable version and 58 beta version memory usage grows very high.

Details:

1) Only one SVG element in DOM
2) 41 path elements present in DOM
3) 41 div elements are positioned above path elements using jsrender
3) jQuery MouseDown, MouseMove and MouseClick events are bound to the path elements and SVG element too.
4) For every 500 milliseconds, all the path and div elements are removed using jQuery.remove and jQuery.empty methods Add 41 new path and 41 new div elements and bind same mouse events using jQuery to the new elements
5) After few hours browser hangs and stops working due to huge memory consumption

Please let me know if you need more details

PhistucK

Apr 18, 2017, 7:46:18 AM4/18/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Note that this group discusses the Developer Tools feature of Google Chrome and not general web development issues. Please, do not post this kind of issues here again. Use stackoverflow.com, or crbug.com if you are pretty sure this is a Chrome issue.

While I am not sure this is the same issue, I think it might be crbug.com/707544, which should be fixed in a few weeks (the fix was already merged into Chrome 58 which should be released very soon). You can try the beta or the canary releases in order to test it out.
If it is not the same issue (you can still reproduce in beta or canary) -
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

Anand Raj

Apr 18, 2017, 8:37:42 AM4/18/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Thanks for the reply. I will check the canary builds and post the question in crbug.com if it exists