Chrome displays IDN version of domain name instead of accented character version

Zoltan

Nov 3, 2015, 3:52:38 PM11/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
This was originally posted on the Google Chrome Help Forum where -Lougle- suggested that it should be rather posted here.

Chrome displays the IDN coding of the domain name, when it contains accented characters.

Since 2004 it is possible to register top level domain names under .hu containing Hungarian accented characters like öüóúőűáéí, and more and more people start using them. The modern most popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer are able to handle these IDN requests, or at least partially. Firefox handles these accented domain names flawlessly.

If I enter for example műanyag.hu into the address bar of Firefox it will display the website content and also the URL in the address bar correctly using the Hungarian accented characters.

However, when I enter műanyag.hu into the address bar of Chrome, then it displays the page-content, but the address bar will change to this form: xn--manyag-inb.hu which looks very bad and confusing in Hungarian. The displayed awkward URL is the IDN form of an accented domain name which is used for communication between computers, but this is not the form that should be displayed in the address bar, because it is meaningless in the native language. Firefox handles this issue perfectly, which means that it is not a problem to build such feature into the browser.

Unfortunately Chrome is not handling these IDN addresses properly, and instead of the requested domain names using accented characters, it displays the unwanted IDN domain names. According to the latest statistics the Chrome browser is the most popular browser in Hungary, therefore it is important for webmasters and designers to display a nice web address in the address bar of Chrome even for IDN addresses.

Many people around the world (not only Hungarians) using IDN domain names would very much appreciate if Google could fix this issue and get Chrome to display accented domain names as well as Firefox does.

But until this problem is fixed, I (we) would be very thankful if anybody could suggest a work around that we could implement on website level, to display nice accented domain names in Chrome address bar even now. My Chrome version is 46.0.2490.80 m.

Thanks for help and suggestion.

Zoltan

PhistucK

Nov 3, 2015, 3:54:22 PM11/3/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
This group discusses the Developer Tools feature of Google Chrome and not general Chrome issues. You have been misguided.

You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK