Feature Request: shortcut for tab navigation throughout files in source editor

suryne...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2015, 4:10:18 PM3/16/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I'm pretty new in DevTools world, so I am not sure it this could be upcoming feature or so, but here is the question.

Because I'm using DevTools as main IDE on daily basis there could be a really useful feature from my point of view. A user could switch back and forth tabbed source files in source editor by some shortcut key. Let say that I have three open files (jquery.js, main.html, app.js ) in source editor and main.html is active, by hitting let say Alt + arrow up would switch to very next file which is app.js. Of course user could be also able to switch in reverse order by shortcut Alt + arrow down to navigate very next item on left side.

Actually I have already implemented mentioned feature and right now, I would like to know it there is some validation process or what should I to know about following steps. Sorry for silly question but I just discovered a power of blink and I don't have enough knowledge to fix issue so I would like to start with that small feature.

Paul Irish

Mar 16, 2015, 4:25:36 PM3/16/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

A user could switch back and forth tabbed source files in source editor by some shortcut key. Let say that I have three open files (jquery.js, main.html, app.js ) in source editor and main.html is active, by hitting let say Alt + arrow up would switch to very next file which is app.js. Of course user could be also able to switch in reverse order by shortcut Alt + arrow down to navigate very next item on left side.

The file picker (ctrl+P) functions similarly. At the top of the dialog are your open and recently edited files, followed by all resources available.
So you can still get ctrl+P plus arrows for easy access.

Actually I have already implemented mentioned feature and right now, I would like to know it there is some validation process or what should I to know about following steps. Sorry for silly question but I just discovered a power of blink and I don't have enough knowledge to fix issue so I would like to start with that small feature.

suryne...@gmail.com

Jason Laster

Mar 18, 2015, 10:59:46 AM3/18/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
(cmd+o) should also open the file picker as well

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/dc6f9d58-0607-4db9-9305-635f7d49d940%40googlegroups.com.

Jason Laster
Software Engineer
  Etsy

suryne...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2015, 5:18:35 PM3/25/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I think the shortcut ctrl+P works for most cases pretty well but there are some useful scenarios where that navigation loop may be beneficial rather than mentioned shortcut ctrl+p. For example:
  • in case you have a plenty files listed in source panel and you switching between some open files and of course you don't remember exact file name, in that case you will do navigate loop until you'll reach desired files
  • in some cases it's not convenient to see too many confusing information displayed in list popup rather then quick navigation by propper shortcut
I think there could be different situation which you can use another way to navigate to desired files but in case you often switching between two or more files it may be a really useful feature.