Chrome 62 Developer Tools - tabbing (pressing tab key) from css property to value deselects instead of selecting.

Simon Barnett

Nov 16, 2017, 7:55:26 AM11/16/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

This may not seem like a biggie, but since it's a micro-step involved in my workflow it's a repeated annoyance which adds up to what could be termed an issue.

My Dev Tools workflow consists of selecting an HTML element, then adding a CSS rule for it to the Inspector Stylesheet.

When done, I copy everything I've created from Sources > Inspector Stylesheet, and paste it into my stylesheet.

The Issue

I used to be able to

  1. tap the plus sign,
  2. then hit the tab key to create an empty property,
  3. start typing.

Now - as of Chrome 61 or 62 - it either removes the rule completely, which is less common,

Or if not, then it always deselects the property, forcing me to have to

  1. tap the plus sign
  2. hit the tab key, after which it deselects *
  3. switch to the trackpad
  4. manually line up the pointer with the property field
  5. tap there
  6. switch to the keyboard
  7. then start typing.
* Note: leaving out the step with the tab key doesn't help.
Manually tapping in the property field also deselects the property.

Sure, I'm breaking it into micro-steps by making "switch to the trackpad" and "switch to the keyboard" into whole steps,

but when compared with my previous workflow, they are steps.

The numbering on these screenshots refer only the pics, and don't correspond with my steps above.

Pow! .. nothing. It deselects..

Kayce Basques

Nov 16, 2017, 5:15:49 PM11/16/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
In Canary on Mac I think it's working like it used to.

I click New Style Rule and it creates a new rule:

Then I press the Tab key and the cursor changes to an empty property name:

If you're on Mac or Windows, can you try Canary and let me know if you're still seeing the issue?

Simon Barnett

Nov 16, 2017, 10:39:21 PM11/16/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Ah, so it's been picked up.. hooray
Thanks Kayce

PhistucK

Nov 17, 2017, 5:05:50 AM11/17/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

PhistucK

shane.m...@kmstools.com

Jan 6, 2018, 5:58:46 AM1/6/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I am still getting this behavior on chrome 63 on windows. I just did the update to chrome and still nothing. Is there a way to fix this ?

PhistucK

Jan 6, 2018, 6:01:11 AM1/6/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
It was fixed during the main Chrome 64 development time frame. It was not a critical bug, so it was not merged to Chrome 63.

PhistucK

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 12:20 AM, <shane.m...@kmstools.com> wrote:
I am still getting this behavior on chrome 63 on windows. I just did the update to chrome and still nothing. Is there a way to fix this ?

Kayce Basques

Jan 8, 2018, 5:23:05 PM1/8/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
If the fix is in Chrome 64, and you're currently on 63, that means that you'll get the fix in 6 weeks maximum (probably less, I think 63 has been out for a bit).

If you're on Windows or Mac, you can download Chrome Canary to get the bleeding-edge Chrome code. It's unstable, but has the latest features.