Chrome 49 Dev Tools - Console drawer always opened when Dev Tools turned on - Can it be turned off?

Stephen Tang

Mar 24, 2016, 12:36:53 PM3/24/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hello,
My Chrome auto-updated to 49.0.2623.87 on Mac OS X Yosemite, and the dev tools underwent some changes. There is one change that is highly disruptive to me.

Whenever I activate Dev Tools, the default behavior is to open up the console drawer.  It happens on every URL I have landed on.  I normally use the console tab, because the drawer takes up so much space, and I do not always detach the Dev Tools from Chrome.

Is there a way to turn this behavior off?  I do not want the console drawer opened when Dev Tools is turned on.  I could not find anything in the Dev Tools settings.
I have tried suggestions by other users such as hitting Escape to close the drawer (to get it to remember) and reloading the page and also creating a new user profile and trying dev tools.  No solution thus far allows Dev Tools to remember that I want the console drawer closed or that I don't want it to begin with.  Is this a bug or is there something else I can try?  Thanks.

PhistucK

Mar 24, 2016, 12:43:03 PM3/24/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Due to the small chance that this information is held per user data directory and not per profile (supposed to be the same, but still), perhaps try running Chrome with the --user-data-dir command line switch and follow the same instructions (F12, close the drawer, close, F12).

PhistucK

Stephen Tang

Mar 24, 2016, 1:18:01 PM3/24/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I followed the instructions for Mac OSX in creating an AppleScript that runs the command line call, but the behavior didn't change.  Dev tools still brings up the console drawer even if I close it with Escape and reload the page.

Should I uninstall Chrome and re-install?

PhistucK

Mar 24, 2016, 1:19:47 PM3/24/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I would not count on that to help... Perhaps others will have better ideas.

PhistucK

Erkan Arslan

Mar 31, 2016, 2:58:52 PM3/31/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I also have the same problem, console drawer always opens. It makes it hard to work with chrome developer tools. When I am editing css properties, even if the console drawer is closed it is reopened and gains focus. What I write go to console. Because of that I have to close the console every time I type a single character. This is a serious bug that needs to be fixed.

Vicente de Rivera III

Apr 8, 2016, 3:00:25 AM4/8/16
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
This worked for me:

In the settings,

uncheck the ff:

Enable JavaScript source maps
Enable CSS source maps

This must be related to this source map bug:

https://github.com/angular/angular.js/issues/14188

Henry

Sep 1, 2017, 2:26:05 AM9/1/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
This worked for me:

Open DevTools
Open console drawer
Click gear in corner of console drawer
Uncheck "autocomplete from history"
Close console drawer
Close DevTools…… open it up again and the console drawer doesn't appear!

Henry

Sep 1, 2017, 2:26:05 AM9/1/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Oh, I spoke to soon. Worked for a bit but now it's back

PhistucK

Sep 1, 2017, 2:29:22 AM9/1/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK